Get through the panic attack with difficult child...

flutterby

Fly away!
...and the damn dog tries to get eaten by a possum again.

She bolted right out away from me and was nose to nose with the thing. It was growling and baring it's teeth. I was calling Jewel and she kept going after it. Chased it halfway around the neighbors house before I could get her far enough away from it to get easy child to get her.

I think it's time for bed.

flutterby

Fly away!
They have some gnarly looking teeth. I know I had no intention of getting close to it.

I think Jewel is just interested in it. She doesn't try to attack it, she wants to sniff it. The possum, however, is not impressed.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had a dog get pretty cut up by a possum years back. At the same time, I've seen one comatose possum with a dog at each end and totally oblivious. I think evolution is selecting away from those possums who pass out when stressed.

Star*

call 911........call 911
As a possum rehabber? Right now? They're probably very pregnant or with multiple babies....so they're bound to be really um....irritable. Could you get Jewel interested in a piece of lunch meat or hamburger and not a smelly possum if it happens again? Also - you may want to tell your neighbors to keep their trash lids VERY secure and all outdoor cat food picked up. This will bring possums in to feed in hordes. Further upsetting both you and Jewel.