Going to MO or two weeks and already homesick

BusynMember

Two weeks!!!!!! That's an eternity!

It started out because my grandson desperately wants me to come. We've been Skyping, but he doesn't really know me. And, to be honest, it is ending because of that too. That is why I'm going. I was only going to go a week, but his birthday is April 2nd so I wanted to be there and now I have Ticket to Ride...yikes!!!!!

I miss my husband, my dogs, and my other kids in advance.

But I want to know my grandson. I hope it goes well. Grandson will not be with us all the time. Bart gets him half the time. So often I will be alone while Bart is at work and Junior in school or with Mom. I will not have a car. I can't afford to rent one. I don't know my way around that area anyway.

I am happy and sad at the same time. I hope it goes well. I will post from there.

BusynMember

My heart wants to see Grandson. My head tells me two weeks is too long. But then if I don't do it, I will miss his birthday and I want to be there for that. So my heart is giving me fits!

Lil

Yeah, two weeks is a long time...but if you are in the city, there might be plenty to do. You know I'm in Missouri. If it's St. Louis or Kansas City, IM me and I can give you some things to do that aren't too pricey and public transit is pretty good I think in the cities. :D I hope you have a great time getting to meet the grandson! Welcome to my state!

BusynMember

Lil, I'll be in Jefferson County with no car and no extra money...lol. My only point in going to see my grandson :) But thank you!!!

Lil

Hmmm. Yeah, it'll be a long two weeks then. ;) Especially when junior will be at his mom's. Take some good books! Or maybe learn to knit.

BusynMember

Yeah, I have my Kindle, his computer, his i-pad (I don't know how to use it but he said he'll show me), the television, my own room for napping, and I hear the weather is nice for walks! What's the temp out that way? Should I bring shorts?

Lil

Shorts? Well, I wouldn't, but then I don't wear shorts, capri's are as short as I get. But you are a hardier breed there in Chicago. lol

Basically, first couple weeks of April average temps will be in the low to mid-60's. Given that this is Missouri though, it could be in the 40's and could be in the 90's - sometimes in the same darn day. 'Cause that's how we roll in big MO. :D

BusynMember

Thanks, Lil. Guess I'll bring shorts and jeans and sounds like only short sleeves because I don't do long sleeves unless it's in the 30's. Then again Bart air conditions the house COLD so I'm packing my housecoat. I did decide to stay in his house since I can't afford a hotel and this was spur of the minute...Junior has been asking to see me, and I can not NOT visit if Junior wants to see me. Bart has been ok MOST OF THE TIME since his custody battle. He is irrational at times, but I can just keep the topics light. He is much happier and lighter when Junior is around.

Lili, if it hits the 60's, I'll think it's summer. The 60's, weather-wise, is my favorite. Nothing beats it. The low 70's are ok too. If it hits 90, I won't be leaving air conditioned house...I'll take my daily walk in the basement. I don't do 90's and I don't like humidity.

At least I THINK I avoided tornado season. I'm terrified of tornadoes, although I've never really seen one, and I hear that, strangely, in Missouri they don't have basements. I asked my son where he goes when there is a tornado warning and he says, "Nowhere." Wow. I take everyone, dogs included, and go in the basement. And even though the only basement I have now is where we wash the clothes in this apartment, I would take the dogs and go to where we do the laundry if they called a tornado warning here.

So, all in all, I think I have all the necessities. Sun tan lotion, not necessary. My skin has always been so sensitive to the sun that I have always avoided it and I'm a shade lover. If I do take an outside walk, it will be very early before the sun is the hottest. And I always wear my Green Bay Packers or Milwaukee Brewers cap. I guess everyone will know I'm a tourist. I'm aware of Cardinal's fever in MIssouri. Junior is smitten with Cardinals, Blues and anything Missou (I think that's how it's spelled).

Bart is surprised that Missouri folks don't seem to be into football. I don't know if I could live that way :)

Scent of Cedar *

I am happy for you. But I am concerned about your not having access to a car or money if Bart decides to misbehave. Do you have a plan for how you will handle things if that happens?

Cedar (aka Wet Blanket)

SeekingStrength

Have fun! I am very happy that you get to see Jr.

Two weeks is too long for me to be around anybody, but I know seeing your grandson makes it worth it!

SS

BusynMember

Most of the time I'll be alone. Bart goes to work and Junior is at school. I haven't seen Junior for at least three years.

I'll be alone most of the time and Bart has all the toys and I can use them...I've never watched TV on a 66" TV before. He has every movie (probably downloaded illegally). He has tablets and a computer and I will certainly use that. He has work out equipment so I can use that. I can Skype my granddaughter during the day. I have my Kindle.

I just get homesick after a few days of being anywhere. I like my own house, my husband, my dogs, my castle, although it's only an apartment (although a nice one). I will especially miss my dogs (no offense to my hubby...lol...but I can TALK to him. The dogs just won't know where I am and can't cuddle me). This is 100% for Junior. He needs more nurturers in his life and has been asking me to come since we started Skyping. Somehow he "knows." Kids do know...they tend to like me. And Bart and Junior are VERY close. I am very proud of Bart for shoveling his kid with love. I don't necessarily agree with how he d oes it...giving him a Christmas every visit (which is half the time), but he does love him and tells him so and takes good care of him and Junior adores Bart and cries each time he has to leave to go back to Mom.

Bart and I usually get along these days. It is only when Bart is under stress that we don't because he freaks out and gets irrational. But he has calmed down a lot from his stealing/con artist/aggressive days and I'm not afraid. He is well aware of the fact that I WILL use 911. I do it when he threatens suicide. Bart can still be very odd and verbally abusive, but I told him I will go home the minute he raises his voice to me and he has learned I don't blow smoke...that I mean it. He is a big mama's boy and does NOT want me to leave early. And he wants me to get to know Junior in person. Junior's b-day is April 2nd, so he wants me there for that and I agreed that it would be cool to be there. This all happened because Junior begged and I decided I wanted to go.

Being consistent with Bart has paid off. Also, Bart is not as unstable as he was in his 20's to about 30. He still has issues, but he is not anywhere near what he used to be like, EXCEPT when he is under unbelievable stress...and he isn't. The custody battle about killed us both because he loves Junior a lot and thought he would lose him ( as in, mother usually wins main physical custody) and he'd only see his son every other weekend. When that didn't happen, he went back to "normal" whatever his "normal" is...lol.

Lil

At least I THINK I avoided tornado season. I'm terrified of tornadoes, although I've never really seen one, and I hear that, strangely, in Missouri they don't have basements.

Yeah...not really. Tornado season is pretty much any time in the spring. So no, you didn't miss it. But you're probably pretty safe. They're not common on the east side of the state. I mean, they're not common anywhere - but more likely on the prairie and to the west.

We have basements! :confused: I don't know where you'd get that idea. I mean, not everyone has one; depends on the terrain - you can't put a basement in bedrock after all, and cost - cheap builders may not put basements - but lots of people have basements. Just go to an interior room without windows if a siren goes off; if it's an apartment building, there out to be one. Like I said though, not something people really worry about, especially on the east side of the state.

You know, we are only the next state over. lol! St. Louis and Chicago are less than 300 miles apart. You can drive from Jefferson County from Chicago in probably 5 hours. :D

It's not like there's never been a tornado in Illinois - even in Chicago!

anything Missou (I think that's how it's spelled).

MIZZOU - I don't know why. o_O

Bart is surprised that Missouri folks don't seem to be into football. I don't know if I could live that way :)

I just don't know where these generalities come from. We have two football teams! Of course, Jabber is a Cowboy's fan...not Rams or Chiefs. But lots of people are football fans. Maybe not as aggressively fanatic as Da' Bears. :D

I have my cell phone and 911. He knows I will use it. It keeps him in line.

You give us a call. Jabber can be there in 2-3 hours and kick his butt!

In all seriousness, I hope you have a nice visit!

BusynMember

Lil, I actually live in Wisconsin. There were more tornado scares in Illinois when I lived there.Bart never lived in Wisconsin. When we moved, he stayed with his dad in IL. So he is the one who is the Bears fan.

Bart's sub-division was mostly built by the same guy. Maybe he didn't do basement.

The Rams are moving. The Chiefs are pretty good. I like them. I forgot they were in MIssouri. I think of Kansas City in Kansas. Bart insists baseball and hockey are the big sports in Missouri. Of course, like you said, in both Wisconsin and Illinois, football is the sport. In Wisconsin, baseball is not real big though. In Illinois, they love all their losing teams...lolol.

I checked the weather in St. Louis and it isn't supposed to be warm anytime soon.

Lil

OH!!!! I thought you were in Chicago...but that's right, you're a Green Bay fan. LOL Packers, Bears, all fairly rabid fans compared to Rams or Chiefs though. Rams have been talking about moving forever...but for now they're still St. Louis.

As for the weather - it's 40 today - but it's supposed to be 70 on Saturday. So...yeah. Could be anything. I'd bring maybe one pair of shorts since you think 60's is shorts weather, pants, short sleeves and a jacket. You'll be all set. :)

BusynMember

Thanks all.

I doubt this will be the two best weeks ever...lol. I do get to see my grandson, and that's great, but I will also be alone a lot and I need to hope that Bart isn't in one of his panicky moments. It doesn't take much to scare him and when he's scared he'd like a little boy. He just got over bronchitis and laryngitis and was scared of every symptom. One night he called me 33 times for reassurance. Fortunately I had my phone on vibrate.

I'm still not really comfortable about leaving for so long, but I can always change my mind. The train tickets can be exchanged. But I want to get to know Junior more than just on Skype and I do want to be there for his birthday. One day at a time ;)