Got a call from case manager

StressedM0mma

We now have a case manager. Finally have an advocate for school. I am so happy about that. Maybe now we will be able to get the school help we need. I am meeting with her at 11 at our house. Can anyone give insight into what goes on? Do they just take basic info and ask what they can do to help? Or do they have a plan they want to follow before they meet you? I am excited scared and confused all at the same time.

StressedM0mma

The county Buddy. It is through the place she is receiving therapy. Not the PHP. Should I be concerned about it coming from there? Is it some sort of red flag?

buddy

OH HECK NO! I think that is better. Our county workers have access to programs and funds. That is how our rent got paid when Q was in the hospital. I was just wondering because I have been a school case manager for years... I am much more familiar with that role.

StressedM0mma

Thanks for the quick reply Dee. It let me breathe a little sigh of relief. She is the first person to say sometthing happened at that school to cause her to go from a 4.0 to flunking out. And from always going to school to never wanting to go.

buddy

in my opinion that is a good sign. Sounds like she may get the bigger picture and really see that there IS a problem. You have needed that support for a long time. Dont worry about the appointment. I imagine she will interview you about difficult child. Maybe even have a screening. I will say this.... I have said this to many many families... it is natural to not want to make difficult child look like a total loser, behavior problem, have a chaotic family life, etc. This is NOT the time to emphasize the positives. You can get into that on other visits. This is the time to truly tell all of the real struggles. They know that kids are not usually all bad or all good (you know what I mean...no kid is really bad). But if they have screening tools to get them on their case load they may have to score on a more severe end of things. It may not be the case with you but just saying. .... And I am not saying to lie, if anyone posts back.... I am just saying this is the time to emphasize why you need support and services. (same for filling out ssi paperwork, etc... just not the time to talk about the good stuff, YET)

T

TeDo

Stressed, be totally honest with her! Tell her about the struggles difficult child has. Tell her about your trouble with the school and what you WANT to happen with school. Tell her about the kinds of "other" things that might help difficult child at home. Tell her what your life is like and what kinds of things would make your life easier with difficult child AT HOME. Tell her about all the things you've done already that are working and tried already that didn't work. There is NO way they should have a plan of ANY kind before they meet with you.

Good luck and I hope it works out the way it SHOULD!!