Halloween Reports

SRL

I thought I'd start a Misc Halloween thread for us all to use today for our Halloween reports. So far it's been pretty uneventful owing to the fact that it's only 5AM, I suppose.:thumb: I've had it easy this year as I retired from the role of class party coordinator and only have to show up with cupcakes. And for the first time years, no costumes to sew as the kids are wearing handmedowns.

I did glue some teddy bear fur onto footies for hobbit feet--the clerk wasn't amused when I told him I planned on sacrificing the bear. I guess he just wasn't in the Halloween spirit. :wink:

KFld

The weather is supposed to be beautiful in CT. I am going to BFF Jill's to help her pass out her candy and have pizza. She is still in a wheelchair due to surgery on both feet. This way her h can take their son, my godson, out trick or treating and I can hang with-bff.

First I have to stop over our old neighbors house and visit their daughter. She was devestated to hear me and easy child moved out because our house is the first house she always headed on Halloween. I'll pick her up an extra special treat and deliver it personally.

Hope everyone has a happy uneventful halloween!!! :frankenstein:

To my knowledge, I have to go to Tink's school after lunch to get her into her costume (she can't be in it in the morning). Then I have to go outside and stand on the street somewhere and wait for her to walk past me while the school does their parade. Then I guess I get to wait in my car while the kids have their class Halloween party. This is sounding better and better by the minute. Then I take her home and wait for grandpa, who will take her trick or treating. I bought Pixie Stix to hand out. I will be less tempted to eat them that way. When Tink gets back, I have to wrestle her candy from her while we wait for Nana to come pick her up and take her to her sister's house (my aunt) for a party.

I will be brushing Tink's teeth every 1/2 hour that I am with her today. I hope everyone's day is meltdown-free and a lot of fun.

bby31288

Well today is difficult children 15th Birthday (time to change my profile)! She was very excited this morning, got up early and left for school forgetting to take her medications...texted me, had to bring medications to school! All 3 girls will be going out Trick or Treating after school. I believe our curfew is 8:00 p.m.

I will sit on the porch with my bowl of candy hoping to keep the dogs from barking for three hours straight. We wouldn't want them to get sore throats (only because I can't spell larangystist).

Have a great Halloween!!!

I just re-read my post.

I did make it sound like torture. In my defense, it was like 5 in the morning when I typed it.

Shame on me. I actually love Halloween and seeing kids' costumes. I just hate all the candy. I will do the suggested buying the candy from the kid.

Since my first post, Tink decided that she was too much of a big girl for me to have to come and help her with her costume. So, we bagged it best we could and sent it with her. Now that means I don't have to go to the school till the parade.

I am looking forward to the parade.

In case anyone missed it in the general forum, try this joke on your kids if they are old enough to get it (Tink THINKS she gets it; not quite sure if she does)

Knock knock.

(who's there?)

Interrupting ghost.

(interrupting gho-)

BOO!

susiestar

Roll With It
BBK, Am I to assume parents can come to the Fall Party?? We always do.

I got up, and while I waited for thank you to finish some card for a friend who is moving after today, I drew Eyes and Mouths on 32 little containers of orange jello. You know, the Handisnack thingys. That is the extent of my decorating. One package had to be cherry bcause that is all they had in sugar free (one kid is diabetic). And one package is blue raspberry because MY child can't do orange or sugar free.. But they now all have Jack-o-lantern type faces on them.

That is my commitment to the party. Except spoons, gotta get spoons on the way.

We are not doing costumes at school because it offends too many people. Our wonderful SD will not let ANY school in the district do this. I wonder what they call some of hte outfits I see hte high school kids in???

We will trick-or-treat tonight at the neighborhood around my folks. We do not get trick-or-treaters, so my kids know that I will buy a couple of bags of candy we like and they don't drag us around too far. Just to maybe 15 houses by the grandparents.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Halloween!!

Susie

TerryJ2

OMG. I cannot imagine drawing eyes and mouths on 32 containers of Jello. You deserve an award.

Big Bad Kitty, LOL! It didn't sound like torture to me. Sounded normal!

difficult child has a new Old Tyme baseball outfit he's wearing tonight. He could have worn it to school but for some reason decided not to.
I have to go out and buy more candy because we've eaten most of what I bought 2 wks ago ... I moved the stash to a new hiding place every night and difficult child kept finding it. I took my own stash the first day. Sigh.

I took difficult child and his friend to a Jaycees haunted house last night. His friend was so scared he almost cried. difficult child would have gone through with-me but very sweetly, stayed behind with-his friend. They finally went through with-a normally dressed volunteer, after he had told all the actors to go away and leave the rooms empty.
Personally, I thought it was very cool, especially for an all-volunteer fundraiser--black lights, lots of props, fun actors. But then, I'm 50 and relatively unshakeable. Right. :wink:

We go trick or treating tonight. The hard part is getting difficult child to eat some meat b4 the candy orgy. :frown:

nvts

I love Halloween! This year has a bummer attached.

difficult child 1 is Dracula (no make-up for school - he'd be a mess by the time he got home) and they're having a Pumpkin Hunt/Bake Sale/Halloween Party. His birthday was mischief night (the 30th)(can this be ANY MORE APPROPRIATE?) so I baked cupcakes for that. Then last night did brownies for the bake sale.
:jack:

difficult child 2 is Darth Vader and because his behavior at school has been so good, he's been invited to a Halloween Party at the Main Building of his school (he's in an annex at a different location). Baked chocolate chip "ghost" cookies for that last night.
:ghost:

difficult child 3 is on a superintendents suspension all last week and all of this week at a different school (no class birthday celebration last week - the 23rd) and is not allowed to be in the Halloween Parade.
:thumbsdown:

difficult child 1 is pis*ed because I'm not going to his pumpkin hunt, difficult child 2 is psyched to go to the Main Building and difficult child 3 melted down at the alternate location before I got home.
:crazy:

I'm picking everyone up at school today because the boys bus doesn't get them home until 4:30 and that's really too late for us to do bathroom, costumes, bathroom again, back into costumes and then trick-or-treating.
:smile:

In the meantime, the Dept. of Childrens Services is coming to check up on us again tomorrow so I have to clean the house(verrrrry long story - difficult child 3 lied to try and get them not to tell us about her behavior - totally unsubstantiated!) while in the throws of Halloween chaos!
:grrr:

Rather than giving out candy, the kids should be throwing <u>us</u> Valium!!!
:devil:

But it's still my "favoritest" holiday!

:frankenstein:

Happy Halloween!

The "Cereal Killer"

rejectedmom

Halloween in our borough was last week. It is over Trick-or- treat, parade, merchant 's night all is over LOL. But I might go to my daughter's this afternooon and help her with her kids' trick or treating. Have to see if I think my foot will allow it. I have not scheduled the repair surgery yet as I'm waiting till after all the holidays. But I do want to see my grandbabies dressed up. It is a bit of a drive about an hour away though.
-RM

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I woke up to a TP-ed tree in front of our house. Legend has it that this means someone has a crush on a member of our household. I tend to lean towards it being Cabbage Night last night and the hoodlums were out in full force. Ah, well, at least toilet paper disintegrates in the rain!

Tonight, difficult child will dress as an angel (oh, the irony) and I a witch...not so ironic...and hand out candy to the neighborhood goblins. I love seeing all those little kids dressed up.

We keep our pups in the bedroom and that REALLY scares the kids because Nala sounds like she's being knifed and tortured from down the hall! Haha. We don't need Halloween music, we have Nala trapped in the back bedroom....hahaha.

A fun Halloween game for all ages, that I learned at a party last weekend:

The organizer writes down on little slips of paper various things associated with Halloween: a monster, a witch, a ghost, a cat, a bat, etc. At least two slips are written for each character/entity. The slips are put into a hat (preferably a witch's hat) and drawn by the players. The players then try to find their "partner", i.e. the person with the matching slip, by acting like and making sounds like their character, BUT no talking is allowed. Everyone plays at once in a big milling throng. Absolutely hysterical. I was "Frankenstein" when we played this (actually, Frankenstein's monster, but that's being pedantic) and mistakenly hooked up with a zombie for a while before finding the other Frankenstein.

muttmeister

I had younger difficult child and daughter in law and two grandkids (plus my mother) for halloween supper last night. :spaghetti: THere were some cute recipes in Taste of Home magazine. I made the pumpkin shaped cheese ball with crackers and apple slices. The salad was a peach half with cloves for eyes and green pepper for a mouth with cottage cheese under it and all covered with peach Jello. Main course was turnovers made with refrigerated biscuits and jack o lantern faces cut into them. :jack: We also had stewed potatoes and roasted veggies. For dessert I did the chocolate pudding with crushed oreos and whipped cream in a 9x13 pan and then crushed oreos on top. I stuck in Milano cookies to look like tombstones and made ghosts out of cool whip. :ghost: Then I added candy corn and candy pumpkins and used black decorator gel to make the ghost faces and write on the tombstones. It was fun and the kids liked it. We had orange pop to drink, of course. :goo:
When my kids were little I always made round toasted cheese sandwiches with weiners split long ways and fastened around with a toothpick and then I drew on the jack o lantern face with ketchup from the squeeze bottle.
They will be gone to see other difficult child tonight so they stopped with the grandkids just a little while ago. The three year old is a duck and the 1 year old is a puppy dog. They are nice warm costumes so will be good as it is chilly here today.
I usually have very few trick or treaters but I buy candy just in case. I always buy my favorite kids as I'm sure to have some left! :ghost:

Star*

call 911........call 911
ALLRIGHT IT'S NEW YEARS!!!!!!!!

I just found that out from a girl in the convenience store who is celebrating the OTHER Halloween. Had no idea what the heck she was doing making these odd gestures, but....

it will be the last time I go into a Kangaroo mart, dressed in a black dress, cape and pointy witches hat I've had for eons. 30+ years (my mom sent it to me) and I have some neat jewelry on - will have to investigate the jewelry further.

Sheez...It thought she was having some sort of fit or seizure, and then she says something something Happy New Year.

-See? Only YOU Star.

Personally? I have no child, so I just plan on walking behind a group of kids and holding my little cauldron out, saying Tricks or Treat and hoping for the motherload.

BY THE WAY

If your child gets OVER SICK from candy:

have them take a sip of gingerale, chew a handful of crushed ice and sniff a black and white newspaper. It will help with the nausea. REALLY!

Gotta go - my toad just escaped and my eye of newt is rolling across the office floor. Cheap jewelry.

The parade was adorable.

I went to the school an hour before the parade started. I parked myself directly in front of that school, shut off the engine, cracked open the pop I brought with (that's SODA to you non midwesterners) and read. As it got closer to start time for the parade, I watched as one after another oversized SUV (I mean Excusrions, Navigators, Escalades, Avalanches, H2s, really unnecessary vehicles) slowly crept past as one mommy after another wondered if she was going to fit her huge vehicle into the spot behind me. Eventually, thankfully, a Mystique put them all out of their misery by sliding effortlessly into the spot.

So one after another gas guzzling 4X4 (which I am sure is used for all sorts of necessary driving over rocky terrain, for some reason that I am not aware of) had to park on the other side of the world. While I sat happily reading my book. Then they had to load up their toddlers into the double-wide strollers (I think they have pull starts. Some may have kick starts) and mow down anyone in their path. While trying not to spill their half whipped skim choco mocha frappa chino latte.

Me, I sipped my pop.

When the parade took place, I had nobody anywhere near me to get in my way. I saw some fantastic costumes and got some great pics.

After the parade, there was an hour before school was out. I just stayed where I was.

Hey, it was a good book.

Now Tink is with her Grandpa, trick or treating.

I hope that everyone is having as much fun as I did!

tinamarie1

I just had to tell yall about difficult child's teachers costume. I thought it was too cute. She had those "smarties" candies taped all to her pants. It took me a minute....but then I was like ahhhhhh haaaaa She's "smartie pants"
:goo:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We had a good start to the day... K is startin gto elevate and get anxious... waiting for Pawpaw to wake from his nap to go trick or treating downtown... it is only 2:30... I don't know if she will make it all day without a breakdown, we have had a small one already over a cupcake!!!

I am glad most of you have had great days!!! I will post later!!!