Hearing noises at work and its not my imagination.

Jody

I have been the only person here at work for over a week. For the last two days I have been hearing walking noises above my head (attic). First I thought it was a mouse or something but my friend said no way would I hear a mouse, sounds like feet anyway, not scurrying. I left late last night and locked everything up. Creeping me out a bit. Everyone is on vacation until the 7th but me. Ugh, another week, of this. It's nice and peaceful, but the fizz in my soda is now making me jump.

pasajes4

You could call the non-emergency police number and have them check it out. It could be an animal or it could be a homeless person getting out of the cold. I think you would feel better if someone could check it out.

Andy

If the police check it out and find nothing, Can you turn on a radio? Or set up a free account on Pandora which is a free radio station through your computer that you choose the type of music you want to listen to.

Jody

Well my two liter bottle popped and I think I nearly had a heart attack. I am scaring myself. I am out of here in about 20 minuites for the next 4 days. I'll deal with it when i get back on Wednesday. Hopefully whatever it is will have moved on, and my nerves will be better. lol, I thought about turning on the music but then I can't hear anything. lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Could be a homeless person.

Now if you have an empty 2 liter bottle on the counter and it starts doing the jig for no reason and there is absolutely nothing to cause said jig??? THEN you might just wig out a little. Me? I just looked at it and rolled my eyes.

My home has been highly "active" over the past year. I dunno about other people but after the first several times I just shrug it off now. One can only be amazed so many times before it becomes "normal". LOL

Amazed? No. Annoyed? Frequently. If you got some message from the other side then figure out a way to tell me, but ringing the front porch bell, causing 2 liter bottles to dance jigs, spinning my computer chair around (with me in it) ad nauseum tells me nothing but that someone is there. Notice I said "someone", doesn't even tell me who. ugh

My bet, you've got a homeless person taking shelter. Or perhaps a maintenance worker getting some stuff done while nearly everyone is gone. If you hear such noises again when you go back, call the cops and let them go looking for what the cause is.

DDD

Really, Jody, why not call the non-emergency number and ask if someone can check the attic? I can't imagine why you would even hesitate. Go for it, girl. DDD

witzend

I would think either squirrels or rats. If it were racoons, you'd smell them. Could you walk around the building and see whether there is an obvious entry point? Something near a tree limb or power line, probably.

Jody

My boss is kind of different, if I called the police when I was alone, I'de never live it down. He would probably always try to have someone there with me at all times. I decided though if I hear anything on Wednesday next week, I am calling someone to look. Glad to be out of there tonight!!!!

Last edited:

witzend

Jody, I was watching a bit on the local news the other night about an exterminator. It was shown during the summer season and I saw it then too, and I guess it was a slow news night. Anyway, the guy said that of all of the houses and businesses he goes to, 95% of them have at least 6 squirrels in the attic. I worked at a place that was a one story and there were squirrels in the attic. It sounded like an army! Don't scare yourself that it's a homeless person, and don't call the police! Just have your boss listen to the noises when he gets back, or send him an email to let him know that there is a critter in the attic and he needs to call an exterminator. If he won't call right away, tell him he needs to go up there and figure it out for himself. If it's rats, they'll for sure chew his wiring and it's a fire hazard. Squirrels will too. In the meantime, listen to this tale of a cop gone to a house that had something running around in the attic. Be sure to listen to both parts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npxaMe1Bh2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7aqnckMQbs

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

Jody,
I remember you said your boss was a strange guy, falling asleep in the office, etc. Could it possibly be him up in the attic walking around? I know that sounds nuts, but he is so odd...

InsaneCdn

Jody -
Is this an older single-story commercial-style building?

The reason I ask is... if the roof hasn't been properly maintained, and the building is poorly insulated, there may be water getting in, and the swelling of wood can cause all sorts of sounds. Or, if there is a fair snow-load up there, the rafters may be under stress, and may crack.

In other words... this is likely a safety issue at some level... either something is wrong with the building or someone is up there, or some bigger animal is up there (around here, raccoons would be an option...)

TerryJ2

I was all set to vote for the homeless person idea, but the water idea could be steady enough to mimic human footsteps.
Animals--not unless it's very quick-paced and scratchy. There is a distinct difference.

I cannot believe that your boss would make fun of you for that, or insist that you be accompanied all the time afterward if you called the non emergency number. Would he rather that he come in an find you lying in a pool of blood? Sorry, I just don't think his opinion is any more valid than yours when it comes to something like this.

Glad you have some time off to rest and recover.