Help/suggestions for memory problems?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am having a TERRIBLE time at work remembering things that I really need to be remembering to do my job.

Any suggestions?

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm a great fan of sticky-notes. I put them right on my screen. Have you seen a doctor? Maybe there is something else going on. At 34, that's pretty young to be having these problems.

Abbey

klmno

Like Abbey, I use sticky notes- I have them all over everything at work. I am trying harder to keep separate lists for different categories (separate pieces of paper) so it is easier to keep organized. With me, although I'm not as young as you, I tend to think a lot of it has to do with my mind trying to keep up with difficult child issues (sd, appts, worries, etc) and trying to keep other things rolling- paying bills, regular household stuff. I guess whether or not this would work for you depends on what kind of job you have. I do know, for me, if I don't write it down the minute I get off the phone or receive information or direction from boss, it might go right out the other ear and never get done.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I have seen those little tape recorders that you can talk into. I would think that would be great to play back your "to do" list, or whatever.....but then I would probably forget where I put it.......

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Lists are great! if sticky notes tend to get lost, keep a small notebook on you at all times and keep a running list of "to do's" Calendar on your desk can be great too. For whatever reason your forgetting so much as of late - organization is the key! Different things work for different people - experiment and see wht works for you, but I would suggest some method of writing things down.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have to have a list or I don't function...I have a calendar and update it diligently with everything as it happens.
I didn't explain this very well... my job is a computer programmer and I spend a lot of time researching problems thru mazes of programs, and I lose track of my research, even when I take notes...I just can't hang onto anything anymore. Its terrible.

Sue C

Hi Shari,

I'm sorry to hear of your memory problems. I sometimes have trouble with my short-term memory due to MS. Sticky notes do not do it for me because I don't remember to look at them!

I need to keep lists of what needs to be done and also detailed notes when working on a project. I don't know what to tell you that would help you with your research except to constantly write down each step of what you've done.

Have you told your dr about your memory problems to see what they say?

sue

N

Nomad

I have been kinda of researching this topic for a few years due to having to take Topamax for migraine relief. This medication causes the frontal lobe to flat line...leading to memory issues galore. Therefore, my thought was to boost my memory power through the back door.

These supplements might very well help:

Phosphastidylserine (Available in most good health food places including Wild Oats), Acetyl L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid.

Anyway...check out this product: Neuro Optimizer

I think the ingredients in this product look very promising.

in my humble opinion, the B vitamins might be of some help. Getting plenty of sleep and drinking plenty of water can help a little. I know stress can cause lots of additional memory problems for me.

www.iherb.com sells a Source Naturals combo Acetyl L Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid tablet. Add on the Phosph. (see above), some B vitamins, and a good multi...and in my humble opinion, you would have a good vitamin/supplement routine for memory. Through in some Omega 3's and it would probably be as best as could be expected.

Life Extension sells some sort of "cognitive" mix that also looks good.

I take Centrum Silver (I really like this product), a B50 tablet, extra B12, the above mentioned items and a Cal/Mag/D supplement at night. I would take Omega 3, but I have a health problem that makes it not advisable. However, I do try to encorporate foods with Omega 3s into my diet.

I also bought a notebook made by the Covey people. I ordered it on line. It is very helpful.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dear Sharona,

I wish I could remember what your problem was so I could help me. But occasionally I suffer from....from......(oh I hate when I do this) from.....well
anyway like I was saying I have a pet squirrel now and OH did you see that shiny thing, it was like jewelery only maybe you should try coffee, more coffee. But don't get the kind with the lobster claw - they are hard to remove. And while I'm on the subject of .....of......hmhhh....you know what we were talking about - I'm just going to go have a glass of milk now and go to Italy. No not GO to Italy - that's where I got the thing with the thing -

Outlook has dings and bells to remind you to do stuff.

Memory loss can be a number of things -

I too took ......well that stuff for headaches and I woke up every day and had the dumb.

Now I are smart.

Hugs
Whoever I am - I forget.
:tongue:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'll get some supplements. Thanks for the direction.

I think I'll also get myself a trip to my dr (who will tell me to reduce stress, and I'll laugh and say killing your offspring isn't legal, but thanks for the suggestion). I'm a little older than my profile, but not THAT much.

And Star, all jokes aside (cause that's some funny stuff right thar, i don't care WHO ya'r), that's exactly how I feel. Maybe its time to treat some adHd?

BusynMember

I'm a space cadet. I highly recommend notes too, but I use standard notebooks and jot down EVERYTHING. Then I can refer back to my notes. Without notes I can barely remember my own name. This has been a lifelong problem, and really affected my ability to keep jobs--I got fired a lot for "careless" mistakes.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've used a PDA for years; not only do I enter the tasks that need completion on my computer & sync it; it also alarms/reminds me to complete the task. (I found I lost the sticky notes too often).

I believe I'll be switching to a regular day time because of vision problems of late; I've also invested in a huge desk calendar - same reason. I still enter things on my PDA to carry about for myself. I have a bluetooth keyboard I use with my PDA during meetings & such. I hesitate to lose this piece of technology that has gotten me through so many years.

Shari - give it a shot.

Coookie

Shari,

Another one with a PDA here. It is a lifesaver for me. :) It is very irritating to forget things when a few months ago it was easy to remember them :(.....

Stress will cause that in me, or if I am overly tired. :(

Hope you find something to help.

Hugs

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Do you have the ability to order some extra desk supplies, such as several of those letter bins? If you can use your desk, great. If not, you can pick up a cheap card table at Walmart and put the bins across the table. For each research project, label one bin and anything related to that research project, ANYTHING (printouts, mailings, Q&A lists, etc) goes into the assigned bin. A card table is large enough for about 9 bins so each project would have it's own.

I have 3 notepads on my desk:

A large legal pad for very detailed specific tasks that will take a while and are relative to a large project.

A smaller note pad for daily tasks that I can throw out once the task is completed.

And the 2"X2" sticky notes for small stupid things I have to remember over the course of my week. These I stick to my monitor. Since I'm usually looking at my monitor, I rarely am able to overlook the stickys.

I also will make up manilla folders for specific long term projects that may or may not go into one of the designated bins. For instance, each year I have three PRIMARY projects that I must stay on top of and track for a few months each year. In early February I have to begin reviewing our health care package, so I make up a folder to hold all the renewal information and another folder for the new information from other companies - these both go into a designated bin; the deadline for this is mid-March. In late April, our company prepares for our annual golf outing in June/July, so again I create a folder for all this information, spreadsheets detailing the invite lists, company handouts, RSVP, etc. This has its place in a designated bin. Then around mid-October I have to prepare for our end of year holiday stuff, such as holiday letter, clients gifts, bonus information, employee gifts, mailing lists, etc. Again, it's own folders and designated bin.

It sounds like a lot of prep work, but once the system is in place, it is a great way to stay on task and keep everything in order. This way when my boss asks me for something related to one of these projects, I'm not rifling through papers for an hour.

I also have a Covey organizer that looks like a mini briefcase and zips closed. It has a calendar, a weekly planner, a daily planner, my address book, and several folders and sections for my own notes, mail, bills, etc. I pulled out a couple of sections that I wouldn't use to make room for things I needed. It has turned out to be the best $40 I have ever spent.

At home I have a dry erase calendar behind the kitchen door and the spaces are big enough to write appts and there is a note section off to the side in case there is something that won't fit inside the calendar day box. I use Outlook at work and once a week I print out that calendar and bring it home with me to make sure my calendars match up in regards to appts, etc. And I also keep my calendar in the Covey book matched up as well. I store all business cards and appointment cards in the Covey as well.

Since adopting these methods of organization, I cannot believe how great I feel being able to use all my contact points to stay on track. I used to feel like a chicken running around with it's head cut off, or a dog chasing it's tail. But now I am on top of everything and it's not anywhere near as difficult as I thought it would be.

Creating a method that works for you, as well as taking the correct supplements, will be a life saver. I hope you're able to find ways to give yourself reminders and stay on track and that some of these ideas have helped. Good luck.