HELP with the IHSS Program

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by xlagirl, Jul 29, 2010.

  1. xlagirl

    xlagirl Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I've been away for a couple weeks as I was recovering from Gallbladder surgery. Yuck!

    My question is......
    Does anyone know about the IHSS program in California for in-home health care services?
    I found the website but what I want to know is a child already receiving SSI for mental/neuro disorders, how could we qualify for this program. What are the interviewers going to look for? What specifically do I tell them that my son needs in-home services for that would make them approve us? Obviously, I need all the help I can with him being a single mother trying to handle his rage.
    Any ideas?

    The website states "The types of services which can be authorized through IHSS are housecleaning, meal preparation, laundry, grocery shopping, personal care services (such as bowel and bladder care, bathing, grooming and paramedical services), accompaniment to medical appointments, and protective supervision for the mentally impaired."

    I just need more specifics from someone who is already using this program.

    I know with a physical disability it is more obvious what in-home care is needed, but with a mental impairment I'm not sure what services I could say that would qualify us.

    A little background.....
    My difficult child is a very big....8 year old (115 lbs & 5 foot tall) who is on the Autisim spectrum, ADHD, plus he has Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) (Intermitant Explosive Disorder) too. He has many personal hygiene problems, including soiling his pants daily. He is very violent and needs 24/7 supervision in order to keep himself safe and others around him. He does self injury, and threatens to kill himself most days but has never attempted it. He has been hospitalized in-patient once this year. He is in non-public school that is for Autistic children and emotionally disturbed children. He is in group therapy with me, he is in individual therapy, he see's a psychiatrist, and an occupational therapist.

    His current medications and diagnosis are listed in my signature.

    Any help would be great!
  2. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    I don't have any specific answers for you, but have you tried contacting your local Regional Center? I believe they are the resource for all types of services for the developmentally disabled, including autistic. They may be better able to answer your questions:
  3. xlagirl

    xlagirl Guest


    Thanks for the info.
    We do use the regional center for many things, but what I was looking for is more specifics from someone who is already using the IHSS program. I hear that we can get additional financial assistance with this program that will allow us to get in home care and other services that are not currently covered.

    Thank you for responding. : )