help!!!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Omg, for nalas birthday I bought her a small rawhide bone at Walmart. She got about 1/3 through it and started gagging. I thought she was choking so I gave her the doggy heimlich and she puked. Chunks came up but now she's gagging and when she spontaneously pukes on her own it's thick, white foam and stringy. She's panting, drinking lots of water and lying down a lot, seems to walk in circles. We are outside now, she's walking kind of funny. I called my vet but they're closed and I cannot afford the emergency vet---it's $700 just to walk in!!!

What, if anything, does anyone know what I can do? If I lose my Nala I think I'll just die. Thanks

klmno

I've had dogs eat these and have troubl;e passing them, but they did come out. I've had one choke on one and the heimlich got it up. I haven't had one do exactly what you are describing so I'd keep a close eye on things. I'm not sure trying to induce vomiting would be a good idea or not. Hopefully, others with more knowledge than me will come along.

I have quit giving my dogs rawhide for this reason. They now get another kind of chew-bone but I still make sure it's up before bedtime and we are around when they chew on it. When they get small or very narrow, they get thrown away.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I haven't given mine rawhide since forever but as a birthday treat today I figured why not. Stupid.

These were from Walmart and made in either brazil Columbia china or some other country. So god knows what's in or on them.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
She looks sleepy. I'm outside on the patio with her. I gave her a small amount of her food-that's what my dog first aid book said to do-and waiting to see if she keeps that and the huge amounts of water she drank down.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think she's okay. She still seems dopey and keeps making a croupy cough barking sound but she's not panting anymore and she doesn't seem worked up as much.

I let her in the house. It's really windy out and she hates that.

Thanks for talking me through this, jeez

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This happens to cats too, when they get a string or something. It's horrible... And scary.

The awful cough is because her esophagus and throat are raw. The water is the best thing. A little food is good, but just a little at a time.

I'm always dopey after I vomit, so I'm not shocked that she is. You keeping her calm is the best thing, really.

Don't flip out unless she refuses to eat and drink entirely. Eating may be a challenge with a sore throat.

:hugs: Oh - we don't give any rawhide to Bubbles anymore, even if we know who the tanner was... Just too risky.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Next time, reach into her mouth toward the back and see if you can catch hold of the rawhide. Many times you can. Then pull it out. If the rawhide is too small it can get wedged or swallowed wrong which causes the retching thing. I've not had issues except once with a rawhide, but have had once or twice with Betsy and a normal bone because she didn't always want to take the time to chew it......she learn, the hard way, that chewing is better.

I would try to retrieve it before doing the heimlich maneuver next time too. The dopiness can be the let down effect from the adrenaline rush when her body was fighting to dislodge the rawhide. Hope she's back to her normal self in a bit.

Can you tell I've been through this a bit? lol

((hugs))

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Lisa, thanks, she is mostly back to normal now, resting comfortably in her new plush bed! It just scared the bejesus out of me, after yesterday and putting Sophie down, Know what I mean??

I once saved Nala before using the heimlich when a bone got stuck in her throat. Flew out! It was pretty awesome!

DammitJanet

My dogs dont like the raw hides much. I gave them these big ones but they just sort of carry them around and toss them at each other. What they do like are those real bones that are either pig or cow bone. They have been baked to make them harder and the dogs will just chew them up for days on end. I have to keep something around for Abby to chew on because she has bull dog in her and they are chewers.

InsaneCdn

We have heavy-duty chewers around here... Nylabone makes the toughest stuff we've ever seen, but we have to get the versions designed for heavy chewers. Anything else is chewed to "dangerous" in 2 days flat... but these heavy-duty ones are shaped like a big bone - and all they can do is gnaw at it. The little tiny bits just pass through their system.

We were told to avoid rawhide, period - for exactly these reasons.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, jeez, I don't know why I didn't think of it, but I have delightful marrow bones in the freezer for them! Our dogs are on a raw diet so they get those every so often...she would have enjoyed that more and it would have been better for her and her teeth and digestion. Guess I just wasn't thinking clearly yesterday, trying to move past Sophies passing and all...sigh.

Nala seems good this morning, we just came back from our walk. I'll see how she's doing later and maybe give her one of the marrow bones. Der.

klmno

It sounds like she's pulling thru this ok. If you haven's seen any signs of blood in the stool or more vomiting, in my layman's opinion I'd think it's a good sign especially since she got up and walked normally. Is she eating today or have you fed her yet?

It's understandable that you'd forget the other bones - you've had enough to copee with this week. ((HUGS))

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - IC, we used to get Nylabones for my Samoyed. We had to get the super-huge-dog version because she gnawed them down in nothing flat. So I got one for Bubbles about 5-6 years ago... He's sort-of chewed on it. I figured he'd love it since he adores hard plastic (ant spikes, cereal bowls...) but...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have never ever gotten a dog to chew a Nylabone, even trying to start them from a pup. They just look at me like I've lost my marbles. lol

Shoot, Maggie is the first to chew a kong..........problem is I don't want to squirt that peanut butter stuff in it and have it all over the floor and the solid treats for it she can get out in under 5 secs.

Kathy813

Staff member
My dog trainer told us to stay away from rawhide for the very reason of what happened to your dog. by the way, I'm glad that she is okay.

The trainer suggested marrow bones instead. I get them at our local grocery store. They usually have them out in the meat case but will cut them up for you if there are none out in the case. They are super cheap and my dogs love them. There is no way they can get them into their throats since they just chew on them to get the marrow but are too hard to break into pieces.

~Kathy