How do I get rid of a Verizon data plan?

TerryJ2

A saleman at the store told me that it is impossible with an iPhone.

I just did an online chat and that person told me to download an app at the store. But if this is for difficult child's phone, wouldn't he just turn it back on again?

This is what the data looks like. At one point, he was paying for Internet because he forgot to turn off something and we have WiFi at home, so he was paying double. But easy child and I think he is watching movies.
Clearly, his phone is using all the data. (It's the third line down--the one that used 7,831.)

Breakdown by Usage Type
Gigabytes (GB) Megabytes (MB) Kilobytes (KB)
XXX-XXX-XXX8 0.001 1.02 ...1,048.6
XXX-XXX-XXX9 1.178 1,206.27 ...1,235,222.5
XXX-XXX-XXX1 7.469 7,648.26 ...7,831,814.1
Total by Type 8.648 8,855.55 9,068,085.2

TerryJ2

:)
However, then *I* lose out because 95% of the people difficult child hangs out with don't have land lines. His friends so have phones, though. :)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Verizon carries a line of "basic" phones to this day. They dial calls. They receive calls. They have contact lists and alarm "clocks". Some have Bluetooth capability. Some have cameras. Some have texting capabilities and even qwerty keyboards.

When my contract expires in July, I plan on trading my "semi smart" phone in on one of these basic phones, because it has a whole lot of features that I don't use.

My service is voice only. No data. No texting. I don't use it. Why should I pay for it. You do NOT have to pay for services you don't use if you have a stand-alone contract. You're getting bitten because you have Difficult Child on a family plan. Time to get him off of that, and get him paying for his own phone. After all, he's 18, and wants to be an adult. Paying his own way is part of that.

witzend

Just go to your account online and pay the additional $5 (ish) that allows you to have parental controls over his phone, then limit him to what you think is appropriate.

https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.co...cified/safeguards/safeguardLandingPage.action

BusynMember

However, then *I* lose out because 95% of the people difficult child hangs out with don't have land lines. His friends so have phones, though. :)
I would not encourage my kid to hang out with people like that. He can get a track phone too. If he wont' work to pay for it, oh well. You don't have to take care of him anymore. He has this attitude that he's a man. Well, a man pays his own way and a man of quality doesn't hang around with drug users and thieves. Let HIM fund his toxic friends.

muttmeister

If you have a family plan with several phones on it you can enroll in a plan (can't remember the name) for about $5 per month. With that you can set the amount of data that can be used by each phone on the plan. Once it's gone, it's gone and they have to wait till the next month for it to reset. I have it and it works.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
If you go to the Verizon store, you can limit his data. We did that with our granddaughter because she too was watching movies, youtube, etc. We capped it. She has a limit on her phone that we don't have. She has an iPhone so I don't know what the salesman was talking about. I think it costs about $5 a month.

LittleDudesMom

I agree with paying the $5 a month to Verizon to put the controls on his phone. Insofar as wireless, you can also put a "timer" on your internet account at home - i.e., Sunday through Thursday night the internet is "shut off" at 10pm etc. Call your ISP for more information.

Sharon

witzend

At least hooking into the home wifi is free. I went over last month myself and an extra $30 was tacked onto my bill. I'm sure I didn't go all that far over, either.

I like the limit on the home wifi idea, too. I wish we'd had it when the kids were at home.

TerryJ2

Yes, I tried blocking the data/aka shutting it off when it's used. It didn't work. It just sends up messages to upgrade. Meanwhile, difficult child gets 7 gigs and easy child only used 1.

I went to the parental controls and kept getting these messages, even after I played with unchecking and rechecking some of the services:
The feature(s) can not be added/removed to the following line(s).

• Add {0}: This cannot be added because it conflicts with {1}.

Add {0}: This cannot be added because it conflicts with {1}.

TerryJ2

And what does this mean? It looks like they want to add on another $235

Review and Submit Changes

Please review the feature changes for your account and the estimate of your new monthly access charges.
In some cases, we need to make adjustments to your features to conform to your plan requirements. These adjustments are noted below.
Wireless Plan for:

Plan Details Current New
MORE EVERY UNL TLK&TXT 8GB $195.00 $195.00
Features
STREAMLINED BILLING - $0
$0.00 $0.00

BLOCK APP DOWNLOADS
$0.00 $0.00

CALLER ID
$0.00 $0.00

BUSY TRANSFER
$0.00 $0.00

CONFERENCE CALLING
$0.00 $0.00

CALL DELIVERY
$0.00 $0.00

CALL WAITING
$0.00 $0.00

NO ANSWER TRANSFER
$0.00 $0.00

CALL FORWARDING
$0.00 $0.00

DATA ROAM USA/CANADA
$0.00 $0.00

TEXT MESSAGING
$0.00 $0.00

DYNAMIC-PRIVATE IP
$0.00 $0.00

4G INTERNET ACCESS
$0.00 $0.00

4G APPLICATION ACCESS
$0.00 $0.00

VISUAL VOICEMAIL SPEC
$0.00 $0.00

PICTURE MESSAGE PROVISIONING
$0.00 $0.00

MOBILE HOTSPOT 4G PROVISIONING
$0.00 $0.00

RTR FOR ALP
$0.00 $0.00

4G PROVISIONING $0
$0.00 $0.00

EMAIL ACCESS PDA $0
$0.00 $0.00

SMARTPHONE LINE ACCESS $40
$40.00 $40.00

new.gif
GAMES PORTAL APP BLOCK
- $0.00

new.gif
BLOCK RBT DOWNLOADS
- $0.00

new.gif
BLOCK PURCHASE AND GIFTING
- $0.00

GAMES PORTAL IN-APP BLOCK $0.00 -
This conflicts with Block V Cast Applications.

Monthly Service charges for XXX-XXX-XXXX $235.00* $235.00*
Accept these changes