How is your weather? Is everyone safe?

BusynMember

I have heard about some very scary weather in certain parts of the country. Please check in. Hope everyone is safe.

Here, where I live, we have a winter storm watch today, and after my car accident, I am afraid to drive with anybody in the snow, but i don't have a choice.

You?

donna723

I live in Middle Tennessee and we had tornadoes come through the night of the 23rd, the night before my son and I were leaving for SC to spend the holidays with my daughter's family. It wasn't near us but it was on the other end of the county, close to my brother's family. Five homes were destroyed, two people killed. It's been ridiculously warm, 76 degrees yesterday, which is the cause of all the storms. Overcast and windy today, supposed to storm later, and back to colder temps in a few days. I suppose it's better than ice and snow! We had enough of that last year!

donna723

I was worried about my brother's family because their area seems to be a tornado magnet. But thankfully, they're all OK and they had no property damages.

New Leaf

We have had a lot of wind and rain here, but nothing compared to what the continent is enduring. Prayers go out to folks for safety. Glad your ohana is okay Donna, heart goes out to those faced with the destruction and loss. I know how that feels having been through a land slide a few years back.....
Hope everyone stays safe and warm....
SWOT, I absolutely hate driving in inclement weather, even here. It seems folks just do not have any common sense, well, I am calling it rare sense, because it isn't so common any more is it?
I plan around storms, and do not go out in bad weather. Better for me, less stress and I do not have suffer the after effects of white knuckled, teeth clenched driving. It's harder with hubs in the car, making little hand motions in my side eye, and road raging from the passengers seat. GRRRRRRRR.

:crazydriver:
(that is not me, that is hubs, in the seat next to me, I have to remind him......
I have the steering wheel, gas pedal and brakes, and that people are not all :censored2: IDIOTS, they are just driving the way they learned.......breathe leafy, breathe)

Sigh. I digress......
Thank you Serenity, I had a little vent going there.

Well I do hope everyone plays it safe, and stay off of the crazy roads in stormy weather.

:imok:

leafy

KTMom91

We're finally getting something resembling winter in not-so-warm-and-sunny California! Rain and snow and temps below freezing at night...we haven't had winter weather in about three years. It's hovering around 40 degrees right now, and me, who is never cold, is actually considering breaking out a jacket.

InsaneCdn

It's hovering around 40 degrees right now, and me, who is never cold, is actually considering breaking out a jacket.
:rofl:

Meanwhile. WE are really thankful that we haven't been dealing with the more normal minus forty degrees for the holidays. As for "considering" breaking out a jacket... if we had plus forty farenheight, there would be a lot of people outside in shirtsleeves.

Us humans are strange creatures.

pasajes4

North and west of me tornadoes and snow son is living in Dallas area am hoping he is ok we don't communicate

Wiped Out

Staff member
Today is the first day it feels like real winter. We hadn't had any snow but it is now covering the grass and blowing like crazy. It is our first winter storm of the year. We are hoping maybe that difficult child will not have to go into work tonight so that we don't have to go out on the roads. He works for a local brewery/restaurant as a dishwasher (and sometimes food prep) and we are thinking they might not be so busy with the storm (crossing fingers).

New Leaf

:rofl:

Meanwhile. WE are really thankful that we haven't been dealing with the more normal minus forty degrees for the holidays. As for "considering" breaking out a jacket... if we had plus forty farenheight, there would be a lot of people outside in shirtsleeves.

Us humans are strange creatures.

Hold onto yourself Insane, we break out our jackets at below 70, try not to laugh too hard........
leafy

InsaneCdn

we break out our jackets at below 70
When the temp gets to 70, we call it summer. We might get a few days of 80 in a "good" year... This is why in the off-season in warmer climates, it's really obvious who the tourists are... because they are the ones without coats.

BusynMember

I wear a sweatshirt only when it's 30-40. 60 is short sleeve and no coat weather. 83 with humidity has me in the house with the air conditioner on. 90 is insufferable. I don't go out except to the car with the air conditioner blasting. I love the 50's to 70's. Any hotter and it's too hot for me. I can stand colder weather. At least I can get all warm and cozy inside and snuggle up.

When I went to St. Louis in the summer, it was like sitting on the Equator to me. I couldn't go outside for very long. My son still isn't used to it...he was brought up in Chicago. 100% humidity is the pits and St. Louis has it.

It's what you are used to.

Copabanana

Hi Serenity (and all) I live out west. It is damp here, but right now, only drizzle not rain. I am with you, Serenity. I love 50 to 65 weather. It is what I grew up with. To me, 70 is hot. And it gets where I live to 115. A dry, parching heat.

I have little experience with cold.

I would worry about falling down in the ice. I would worry about sliding on the ice with the car.

Serenity, were icy roads or inclement weather a factor in your accident? I do not think so, because it was late summer/early fall.

You are right. It is a matter of what you are used to.

Stay safe, everybody.

COPA

BusynMember

Heh, Copa. I'm more afraid of those tornadoes and hurricanes than snow, although I'm no fan of driving on ice and don't. But I'm not afraid I'd fall...I'm pretty careful and it has never happened. So far.

donna723

Oh SWOT, St. Louis is the hottest place on the planet! I grew up there, back in the days when most people didn't have air conditioning! I couldn't do it now. It would kill me! And if you're ever downtown, you have all that humidity coming off the river. The hottest I've ever been has been at the ball park. At the "new" Busch Stadium most of it sits pretty much down in a hole, below street level. A few years ago I went to a night game there with some of my cousins. One of the electronic displays has a place where it shows the temperature on the field. As we were leaving at 10:30 pm the temperature on the ball field was still 110 degrees!

donna723

I don't mind snow, as long as it's just a little and melts off quickly. But I don't do ice! Never again! I'm still recovering from the shoulder replacement surgery I had to have last winter when I slipped on the ice trying to get to my car! Nope! Nope! Nope!

New Leaf

As we were leaving at 10:30 pm the temperature on the ball field was still 110 degrees!
OHHHH YUCKKKKKK!
We have had some really hot weather here in the islands. Usually, the trade winds keep us cool, but this year with El Nino, we had a series of weeks with icky hot weather, in the upper 90's with equal humidity, even the ocean was HOT, 80's ewwwww, jump in a hot salt water bath. ICK. The weather report, upper 90's feels like 100......We had a bunch of hurricanes come real close, which sent folks into a HOARDING shopping frenzy, bottled water, staples, in case electricity went out. At Costco, people had stacks of cases of water.....then returned them on the all clear.
Which, the folks at Costco said they have to dump, even though the case is unopened, because it is a consumable. UGH.
Hoarders, yuck.
Hot weather. YUCK.

InsaneCdn

I would worry about falling down in the ice. I would worry about sliding on the ice with the car.

From the time we are little, we learn how to walk on ice, and how to fall. As soon as I know I'm going down, I crouch down, get close to the ground. Then crash from there - it becomes a slow-speed topple, instead of a fall from standing. I fall on a regular basis. Rarely even get a bruise. But I've been walking on this stuff for... decades.

Driving, well... part of it is common sense. You don't drive after a heavy freezing fog, or (rare) ice rain. It's just not an option. But other than that... good winter tires, (no, "all season" tires do not count), a lot less speed, and lots of stopping distance. I took my driver's license exam in this kind of weather. It's just... normal.

But try explaining "driving on ice" to somebody who's never seen it or done it... we're not Zamboni drivers. Really.

Copabanana

I would worry about sliding on the ice with the car.
I am a scared driving here in temperate weather. I am confident driving only in my small city, not outside it. And no freeways. This all changed as I got older. I was the most confident of drivers.

That said, those of you who live where it gets cold, very cold, do think that the necessary driving skills for icy and snowy roads can be learned later in life? Luckily, if we did go somewhere where it is cold we would go to a big city where there is good public transportation.

COPA

New Leaf

That said, those of you who live where it gets cold, very cold, do think that the necessary driving skills for icy and snowy roads can be learned later in life?
My family keeps safe, by watching the weather, and planning around it. They do not drive in bad weather, or when conditions are supposed to be icy......I think it can be learned, I drove a rental car on the east coast in the winter.......
leafy