How often do you change your sheets?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I know. It sounds silly and it's supposed to. I've been around here since 1999. I've not been around very much lately but I noticed that there are simply not enough fun/escapist threads going on WC, which is why WC was invented those many years ago and I hardly ever see funny threads in here anymore.

And one of the first silly WC threads was about how often we changed our sheets and we laughed and laughed at the responses because we have a wide variety of people who are clean-freaks and others who aren't. So I'm hoping that the new members since 1999 when I joined also have a sense of humor and can use the laughs. Some of the other old timers will remember how fun this post was before (Nancy? Janet?).

So often do you change your sheets???

For me, it's usually weekly unless I'm feeling particularly lazy, then it's two weeks max. I have 2 fuzzbutts who sleep with me but I also have a top sheet that "protects" me from their dirt....well, unless they get in some mud and then it's more often that I change the sheets... lol!...and no longer an "ex" who would make washing the sheets more often necessary. No more sharing on that subject is necessary...lol

Tell the truth and have some fun!

Suz

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I have been doing once a week or the max of once every two weeks. I keep buying sheets with a high thread count which are an arm and a leg because SO sweats like no ones business, if I lag any more than that, they don't seem to last. Plus we have four dogs sleeping in bed with us every night. Tilly and Max have some Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendancies and are sheet lickers.

Marcie

nlj

Depends on the amount of sex going on - so the more often the better :)

(sorry - I know you said that more sharing on that subject was unnecessary, but isn't it the main reason for how often sheets are changed?)

pasajes4

Every other day + the quilt or comforter. I love my bed and I have lots of different "looks" including the aggravating chichi pillows.

donna723

I'm another one with pets in the bed so how often I change the sheets depends on how much licking, shedding, barfing and wallowing they've done in the bed. Mine are Bostons and Bostons are "burrowers" - they insist on sleeping snuggled under the covers, not on top of the covers. And they've been known to sneak some of their favorite dirty spit-covered toys under there with them. So if they goober up the bed, I have to wash all of the bedding, not just the top layer.

dstc_99

Every two weeks. I have a house cleaner who cleans the downstairs one week and the upstairs the next. So everytime she cleans the upstairs I pull the sheets and clean them.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ours is about every 2 weeks. I can't stand any longer if nothing has happened.

Last time, it was 1.5 weeks and the cat barfed. If it had been on the bedspread I'd have washed THAT but it was on the fitted sheet. BLECH.

Yesterday I turned my back on Rose and a bag of Veggie Straws... For about ten seconds. Oh, did I mention BRAND NEW, ECONOMY SIZED BAG? She dumped the whole thing out on pillows and upper part of bed. The good news? Clean sheets (she and I put them back in the bag. Not wasting that!). The bad news? Clean sheets. I did not have a chance to change them and by bedtime I was too exhausted, so I brushed off the crumbs... It was a little greasy but not too bad. And I shower in the morning anyway. So I'll change them tonight.

Since husband is working out of town mostly, and he doesn't sweat like he used to (basement bedroom is FREEZING in summer), it may end up being longer (as I don't really care much). Cat fur doesn't bug me and dog is too old to jump up!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I hate to admit that it is not very often. I would say every three or four weeks; usually it is husband who does them because he is in charge of laundry!

witzend

Weekly if I can.

Every two weeks. I have a house cleaner who cleans the downstairs one week and the upstairs the next. So everytime she cleans the upstairs I pull the sheets and clean them.

Can I ask how big your house is and how much you pay your cleaner? Also, what does she do for you?

I'm just not able to do it anymore, and husband is working all kinds of overtime so he can't really help. I'm getting a few bids, but I'd like to compare with what other people are doing.

dstc_99

Can I ask how big your house is and how much you pay your cleaner? Also, what does she do for you?

The house is around 1500 square feet. I have her do one floor each time because when I had her do the whole house she stayed all day and wanted 10$ an hour. I pay her $50 per floor. I wouldn't pay her that much but since we live in the Seattle area we have tons of rain, which equals mud when you have dogs. Plus I have two dogs and three women in the house. The hair is outrageous. The final straw though is that the house is painted white. Not just white but flat white. Every time you touch the walls the marks are visible. The dogs leave marks on the doors and walls when they try and squeeze themselves in somewhere. Their wet fur and the black dirt here make for some pretty ugly walls and floors.

Having said that the woman is using so many Clorox wipes I may have to buy stock in the company. ARGH!

I actually don't mind cleaning I just hate doing floors. husband on the other hand hates spending his weekends cleaning so he loves the cleaning lady.

dstc_99

Here is the cleaning list I give her with instructions at the bottom. I stole it from a website and customized it for myself.

Bathrooms
  • Sink thoroughly cleaned
  • Tub and/or shower tiles thoroughly cleaned
  • Chrome fixtures cleaned
  • Toilets cleaned, including base and behind
  • Vanity top cleaned
  • Mirrors cleaned
  • Window sills dusted
  • Trash emptied and liner/bag replaced (I will provide bags)
  • Baseboards dusted
  • Vacuum and/or wash floor
  • Fingerprints removed from all woodwork, doorframes and switch plates
Kitchen/Dining Room/Laundry Room
  • Countertops and backsplash cleaned (all items removed and replaced)
  • Cabinet fronts dusted or cleaned (fingerprints and spots removed)
  • Sinks cleaned
  • Floor vacuumed or washed
  • Exterior of appliances (oven, refrigerator, dishwasher, stovetop, washer, dryer) cleaned
  • Microwave cleaned inside and out
  • Small appliances wiped
  • Windowsills dusted
  • Baseboards dusted
  • Pictures dusted or cleaned
  • Trash emptied and liner/bag replaced (I will provide bags)
  • Wash or dust table and chairs
Bedrooms
  • Floors cleaned
  • Beds made (linens changed if clean ones are placed on top of bed)
  • All areas dusted
  • Picture frames dusted
  • Mirrors cleaned
  • Windowsills dusted
  • Vacuum/sweep under bed (if accessible)
  • Trash emptied
  • Baseboards dusted
  • Lampshades dusted
  • Light, general straightening completed
Other Living Areas, Including Hallways and Stairs
  • All areas dusted
  • Cushions and pillows fluffed and straightened
  • Hardwood or tile floors cleaned
  • Carpeted floors vacuumed
  • Baseboards dusted and cobwebs removed
  • Windowsills dusted
  • Fingerprints wiped from all woodwork, doorframes and switch plates
  • Glass tables cleaned
  • Picture frames dusted
  • Lamp shades dusted
  • Light, general straightening completed
  • All ceiling fans dusted
Every cleaning I will request one additional item be cleaned. e.g. inside oven, refrigerator, inside windows.
Some of our rooms are not used on a regular basis and will not need to be cleaned. Upstairs we have a small room and downstairs we have a man room/bourbon room that will only need cleaning occasionally.
I do not expect you to put away any items that are left out. Please leave them on the bed if they are in a bedroom or on the kitchen table if they are in the downstairs. We will be responsible for putting them away.
I will purchase all cleaning items as needed. Please leave me a note letting me know what you require and if you are having any issues.
My dogs will be crated during the day in the upstairs pink bedroom. They are friendly but will most likely bark at you. They are afraid of loud noises (vacuum). If you feel comfortable letting them out that is fine. They are allowed in the back yard.
All cleaners are kept under the kitchen sink, beside the toilets, or in the drawer under the dryer. The brooms, vacuums, and mops are kept in the entry way closet or in the laundry room.

cubsgirl

Not as often as others - about every 3-4 weeks unless one of the cats yaks up on them (which doesn't happen often). I need to be more diligent in my sheet-changing!!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Witz, we're in the North Bay so it may be a bit more expensive here, but the going rate is about $20-$25 an hour although I found a great housekeeper for $15. She does all the things on dstc's list except make the beds and take out the trash which we do. I have 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. It takes her about 4 to 4.5 hours, and she comes every two weeks. We have no animals. I think the cost varies greatly with where you live.

LittleDudesMom

I have a cleaning crew - 4/5 people every other week. I pay $85. It takes them about 1.5 to 2 hours. I do not have them do the sheets because of the time factor. Most "team" cleaners charge by time. A glass enclosed shower is more time to clean than a traditional shower curtain shower, etc. My house is pretty good size and old - about 4000 sq feet. I do not have them do the living room, dining room, florida room, craft/office space and spare guest rooms since they are not used often. I have them do the entire house if I have guests coming or every couple months. They just do our living spaces like the family room, den (difficult child's "play room where his computer/gaming/tv is), kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, common areas (hallways and stairs) and foyer. I have a lot of collectables/antiques so I always hire licensed/insured/bonded.

witzend

The lady gave me a quote to do a "deep clean" of our 2,000 sf house for $150 (badly needed), then a weekly cleaning at $65. I'm having her do the deep clean on Tuesday. (A waitress in this state makes $2.13 an hour plus tips which are taxed and they have to pay payroll taxes on.) I told her I'd decide whether to keep her depending upon how clean it is. I hate to be that way but I can't do it myself and the last lady left the house half done and stepped out at least twice for a smoke every time. We're tidy, but I can't do scrubbing. It will be sheets on one bed, and the tub/shower in only one of the two bathrooms. No stairs, no laundry. I have to have the help.

Last edited:

nlj

I couldn't handle someone else cleaning my house - I'd have to clean it myself (again) before they got here.