How to begin the IEP/504 Process?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by wemustbecrazy, Nov 15, 2007.

  1. wemustbecrazy

    wemustbecrazy New Member

    My husband and I are in the process of adopthing three children. Our 10 year old son has recently (less than a month ago) been diagnosed with ADHD and PTSD. He has been prescribed medication, however, the final approval for him to take it is tied up in the court system at this time. He has been retained twice once in 2nd grade and last year in 3rd grade. 3rd grade is the first year for FCAT in Florida and if he can't pass the test he will be retained again even if his grades are good. I am working with the school's administration, guidance counselor, and his teacher. He is currently getting tutoring through Title I as well. The school has an action plan in place at this time and are monitoring him. I am wanting to initiate the IEP or 504 plan process (which ever he qualifies for), but I am not sure what I need. Any information on how to get started would be great. Having this plan will offer him much needed accommadations, especially extra time for FCAT.
    Thanks for your help.

  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    My recommendation is that you parent refer for an evaluation under IDEA/IEP regularions. If for someone reason he doesn't qualify for an IEP, the same evaluations can be used for 504 eligibility.