I am SOOO not ready for this...

trinityroyal

difficult child is on his way home for Christmas, scheduled to arrive sometime in the early evening. Based on our phone conversation this morning, I strongly suspect that he's off his medications AND hypomanic.

Tyrannosaur is cutting molars. He's my little drama king, so when a wave of pain hits him he casts himself down on the floor with Shakespearean flair and lies there keening. Pain medications and anbesol haven't made a dent so far. Poor little tyke, but as Tyrannosaur himself would say, "The noise is awful!"

Tyrantina is having ghastly heartburn and gastro pain (GERD related). Our regular babysitter was off early this week to get her own Christmas plans in order, and the alt sitter fed her something containing soy, to which she reacts very badly. ("But it was chicken soup. You wouldn't think there would be any soy in chicken soup." Which, of course, is why the protocol is to Read. The. Label. before feeding the children anything.) Although she knows that her "tummy medicine" helps her, she's in so much pain all she can do is scream. A horrible, blood-curdling scream. When you try to give her the medicine, she pitches a fit and knocks the spoon out of the hand of whoever is making the attempt.

So...we have one screaming Tyrantina, one wailing Tyrannosaur, and a hypomanic 6'5" Christmas Elf about to burst through the door in full-throated song-and-dance within the next 2 or 3 hours. All we need now is the Partridge and its pear tree to make my day complete.

(I'm thinking of hiding in the basement until this is all over)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...Ummm... Hon? Didn't we tell you about the birdcage we sent to hang in the pear tree...?

:hugs: maybe difficult child will help with at least Tyrantina?

DammitJanet

Oh that sounds like so much fun! Can you get the GERD medicine in something more palatable? I dont know what to tell you about the teeth other than cold stuff. I know it has to hurt. It doesnt sound like it is going to be a quiet Xmas around there.

trinityroyal

Thanks Step. If anyone can cheer up young Tyrantina it's difficult child.

And Janet, it's not so much the taste of the GERD medicine (which she likes, but then again she also likes lactose free chocolate pudding which tastes like pavement). It's getting near enough to her mouth to put the medicine in. If you get close enough she lands a punch, which either gets the spoon or the person holding the spoon.

Hmmm...maybe I'll get difficult child to try to give her the medicine, and THEN I'll hide in the basement.

trinityroyal

It's not too bad. Tastes a bit minty.

Eeeek! Judging from the banging, giggling, screaming and crying, I think difficult child's home. Time to face the maurauding horde.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Perhaps a very warm hot water bottle for baby girl and a damp frozen washcloth for baby boy..................No clue for the older one except maybe plenty of chores for him to help with to keep him busy?? lol

OH my...........long hot bath before bed is in order I think.

((hugs))

Steely

Only can send reassuring hugs..........and hope things will become calm and peaceful.

I was on the dog aisle today buying toys for the menagerie of dogs that will here with their families for Christmas. This lady in the aisle said "oh what we do for our precious angels". I just looked at her, and sighed. I said, "I have 4 that are coming for the holidays, and it will be pure chaos - thus the expensive bones to stick in their whiny mouths." She laughed so hard -- and then she said well you have a Merry Christmas -- as she walked down the aisle cackling. I was like - yah - Merry, Merry Christmas. I didn't even tell her about difficult child and his difficult child friend that are also coming -- UGH --- I think I may need a lot of PRNs on stand by. :)

trinityroyal

Well...a boisterous round of play with difficult child cheered up both of the monster tots. A popsicle for Tyrannosaur and (FINALLY) GERD medications for Tyrantina and they're off to bed, worn out.
One of difficult child's friends from the neighbourhood just called to ask if he's free to come over for a visit, and husband and I practically chased him out the door. Little easy child is visiting with relatives this evening, so we have 2 hours of calm until everyone's back in for the night.

I'm reminded of that old joke:

If you're a psychiatric nurse, you have 2 raging patients and only one sedative, who gets the medications? The nurse, of course.

Now, I need to come up with a plan to keep everyone busy tomorrow, without having them in my hair all day. I sometimes wonder...how did an introvert like me end up with five (VERY) sociable children?

Thanks for the hugs and ideas everyone. Please keep 'em coming.

Trinity

trinityroyal

Right on time, difficult child is home, and the whirlwind has returned.
Yup. He's pinging around like a pinball on speed, racing speech, practically levitating, he's so wound up. It's gonna be a loooooong night.

Anyone have a tranquilizer dart handy?

susiestar

Roll With It
If you haven't already tried this with Tyrantina, get some catnip tea at a health food store. See if some of that will help her tummy. It helped thank you through colic and was MAGIC as in it turned the non-stop three week crying fit OFF like we flipped a switch and we still use it when his GERD acts up. The allergy doctor told us that mint was a problem for GERD but NOTHING has helped the GERD the way the catnip tea does. It isn't strong like peppermint, but really settles the tummy down well. Heck, I even drink it when my tummy is cranky.

As for the marauding horde, good luck!!!

trinityroyal

Susie, I'd never thought of catnip. I'm going to try that. Her current GERD medications work well (when we can get her to sit still long enough to take them), but it's great to have an alternative just in case.

The timeline so far:

9:00 pm - difficult child gets home, ricocheting off the walls. Talks up a blue streak so that I can't hear the music playing on my laptop sitting right in front of me.
9:30 pm - husband convinces difficult child to take a PRN sedative
10:00 pm - difficult child goes to bed, passes out
10:05 pm - Tyrannosaur wakes up in a fit of the screaming blue meemies. I drag him out of his room so that he won't wake Tyrantina. Hold him while he thrashes around, so that he won't hurt himself or me, or break any of the furniture or other items. He gets frustrated that I'm holding him, and bites my ear hard enough to make it bleed. Attempt to not wake up Tyrantina is unsuccessful. husband goes in to calm her down while I hang on for dear life to the giant thrashing boy.
12:00 midnight - husband takes Tyrannosaur back to bed.
3:00 am - Tyrantina wakes up screaming with tummy pain. Give her more medications, and she settles down right away.
5:00 am - Tyrantina wakes up screaming. This time it's because Bunny is lost. Find Bunny under the covers. Tyrantina settles back down.

Little easy child sleeps like an angel through the whole mess. difficult child is still passed out.

TM, if I could sneak out of the house without radar-ears difficult child or Tyrannosaur hearing me, I'd be on the first plane so fast your head would swim.

Trinity, this is what wine is for. Let it all roll off your off your back for now and laugh at it. You have to...enjoy the chaos, soon it'll be over.

trinityroyal

UAN, I would love to. However I just can't hold my drink and I'm half in the bag after half a glass. (I'm saving that for Christmas dinner, when I have to deal with sister in law who's trying to make war with husband). Sigh...

trinityroyal

Oh Ny Doodness! (to quote Tyrantina). Round 3 begins. I hear the morning chorus from the Twins' bedroom.
Calgon, take me away!

tiredmommy

We had both these problems with Duckie, although she had already outgrown the GERD by 2 years old.

Have you tried raising the head of Tyrantina's bed? It sounds like she's refluxing while lying down. Plus, you may want the paed to recalculate her RX dose if she's recently had a growth spurt.

We had to proactively dose Duckie with tylenol when her molars were coming in. We just gave her the so much every so many hours (read the instructions) so we could get ahead of the pain. It cleared up within a day or two and we watched for any sign of fussiness or teething to start the process over for the next cutting tooth.

And Trinity.... you could just say you're running to the grocery store and just hop on to the QEW. You'd be here before they knew you were gone! :rofl: