I am very impatient, I guess...

Chaosuncontained

Carson's testing to see if he qualifies for IEP has to be completed by 11/11/11. Nothing has happened yet. No testing, no observations. Nada. Zilch.

So, in my opinion, they are waiting til the last minute. How accurate will these tests be if they are rushing? How accurate will they be if they are rushing *him*?

Or am I just in a bad mood looking for fight? Which is very possible--Carson called his Writing teacher a b*tch today for "making" him write his spelling words 4 times each. I know he is "allergic" to writing but come on! You can't call your teacher a b*tch--even if she is one...

buddy

Observations should be started for sure. Single session assessments, well if they wait to the last minute they are the ones who will be pressured, not him....smile! Unless he needs more than one session to finish an assessment (like my kid who will refuse in the middle of a test so they have to continue the next day). Most kids can get thru them pretty quickly. DONT allow them to give him ALL of the tests on one day. in my opinion that IS stacking the deck against them getting reliable results. You can ask for a schedule, see when they each are planning to do their part.

Good Luck!

keista

DONT allow them to give him ALL of the tests on one day. in my opinion that IS stacking the deck against them getting reliable results. You can ask for a schedule, see when they each are planning to do their part.
on the other hand it's almost a guarantee that he'll do poorly and qualify for services.

buddy

:likeit:That's true Keista! Could be a benefit.... but I would be concerned because goals are so often generated from assessment results (you write the plop-present level of performance- then from that make the goals and objectives)...would be silly to waste time working on things that are not true issues....I don't know, I guess it depends on how many things there are that will show up as problems.

InsaneCdn

Doing it all on one day... depends on what issue YOU think is at the top of the priority list.
For example... if you believe strongly that fatigue is a major factor in difficult child's performance, then doing it all on the same day would definitely generate that fatigue level... but the testers will only recognize that if they are looking for it.

Personally, I prefer a balance to the whole picture... I don't like "one test a day" approaches, too geared toward "ideal" outcomes... and all-in-one-day is usually too much. Half-day is long enough to generate fatigue factors, and still get reasonable results.

keista

Good point, buddy. I guess I have never really paid attention to the goals part of an IEP. Not really an issue or concern for me. I figured son would get to where he needed to be, or was going to be, eventually. Besides they way they measure progress is ridiculous and subjective. I know it's a legitimate issue for others, though.