I don't want to go where Satan is

Liahona

That is what difficult child 1 told me tonight. Apperently he thinks he is so bad he is going there. I had to reasure him that he would have to be much worse to go there. His response was "you mean speed when you're an adult?" I told him even worse than that. I feel bad. He wants to be good, but we just haven't found the right medications yet.

TerryJ2

Oh, that's so sad.
Can you be more concrete with-him ... like, my son will ask about going to jail at his age, and I'll say, no, you go to juv. detention until you're 18 (for breaking into a car, for eg.), then you go to jail, unless it's something really awful, like murder, then it's federal prison.
We don't even talk about the hereafter. It's too big of a concept and too discouraging. Besides, then you get into the BIG what-ifs, like, "If God forgives everyone if they repent at the last minute, and he forgives Osama bin-Laden, does that mean that he and I will be in Heaven together?"
Arrrrghhh!

Hey, I just realized you're pregnant. Congrats!

Liahona

difficult child 1 can be obsessed with me dying or getting arrested. He used to freak out every time we passed a police car. (Thank ex for that one. He told difficult child 1 they were going to arrest me.) So, I try to stay away from both subjects, but it popped up tonight. I think what he came away with was that he would have to be mean to everyone in the whole world before this would happen. I don't want to go into details with him because he'll not be able to let the thought go. Just wanted to tell someone about what happened tonight.

smallworld

Emily, it sounds as if he could be hallucinating. You need to talk to the psychiatrist ASAP. The Metadate could be making things worse, and his Risperdal dose may not be high enough. I hope you get some answers soon.

K

Kjs

Just my little story. When easy child was very young, until about age 3, I was living in a very abusive relationship. Police had been called many times. easy child became terrified of police. As soon as a siren went off he would just be so scared. After I was able to pull myself together and get out of that situation, I took him in for counsoling. (worked with easy child). The counselor called the police department. They gave him a tour. (good tour) Talked to him about how much they help people. It worked. He was fine after that.
Could you make an appointment with your local church? They do lots of counsoling. Explain how your child is feeling and ask if there is anything they could speak to him about. Maybe he would feel better hearing it from someone else.

Steely

Kris has a great idea...........I would definitely do that.

Also given difficult children past history, and the fact that he is already manifesting BiPolar (BP) symptoms, I am wondering why the psychiatrist does not have him on a mood stabilizer? And I am wondering why he has him on a stimulant?

Risperdal is helpful but for BiPolar (BP) patients it is usually used as an add on to an already present mood stab. like Topomax, Depakote, Lithium, etc.

And for most - not all - but most BiPolar (BP) patients, any kind of stimulant makes the child more aggressive, emotional, and volatile. I am wondering, given the fact he is still having a hard time, why the stimulant is still present? I am sure it helps with attention, but it seems his bigger problems are not being addressed, and the stimulant may in fact be exacerbating the problems.

With the new baby on the way, is there a way to get him in phosph before her arrival, to do a completely medication wash, and try to start from square one?

Just ideas..........I am sorry difficult child is having such a tough time.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I like Kjs' idea too. Just last week difficult child was swearing up a storm and he looked at me and said, "I think when I grow up I'm going to hell". I told him, no, it takes a lot worse than swearing. Luckily that was all I needed to say.

TerryJ2

I like Kjs' idea too. Just last week difficult child was swearing up a storm and he looked at me and said, "I think when I grow up I'm going to hell". I told him, no, it takes a lot worse than swearing. Luckily that was all I needed to say.

I would have said, "Then that makes two of us!" LOL.
But difficult child gets upset sometimes if I don't take him seriously, which I understand. We are a very sarcastic family.

How's it going, David'sMom? Any better?