I found a reality show that I like

flutterby

Fly away!
I hate reality tv. I really, really hate it. But, the History Channel has a show, Ice Road Truckers, and it's real people at their real jobs - nothing staged, or faked, or anything like that.

It's about the Dalton in Alaska - a treacherous 500 mile road to the oil fields in Prudhoe Bay. And the 70 mile ice road - literally ice, it's a frozen river - to a town. And a town that can only be accessed 30 days out of the year when that river is frozen enough to be crossed by the big trucks. Coupled with temperatures as cold as -90F, avalanches, "blows" (storms).

I don't know. It's just real. And a look at another side of life.

Marguerite

We watched that here last year. Fascinating. It doesn't get that cold anywhere in Australia, so it can be hard for us to understand.

We did have a -30C freezer where I used to work. We had to have big safety signs everywhere because Aussies just have no idea about the cold. My boss wanted a lot of ice in a hurry so he lowered a bucket of water into the freezer for half an hour (yes, he was an idiot). At least he used heavy gloves to get the bucket out, but the bucket itself shattered as it reached the room temperature air (in the cold the plastic reached the glass transition point), and he just managed to get the mess to the sink. Over the next hour this giant ice block kept shattering as it warmed up. The ice itself, that is. The bucket was by this stage in pieces on the floor.

I remember a quote from somewhere about temperatures of 40 below. A question was asked, "Do you mean Celsius or Fahrenheit?"
The laconic answer was, "First one, then t'other."

Marg

flutterby

Fly away!
I think it's a really neat show. Growing up, one of my dad's close friends was a truck driver and I used to ride in the cab when he wasn't pulling a trailer so I've always had a thing for them. It's not an easy job for anyone, but especially not up there in Alaska on the ice roads. It's just people making a living - not showing off for the cameras. I think that's what I like best.

KTMom91

I've watched this several times. It's interesting and scary at the same time. I can't even imagine how difficult that job must be.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We watch once in awhile, husband's Dad is a Truck Driver, it is pretty cool. We have had a bunch of friends live up in Alaska who are crabbers and guides. It can be so harsh.
The one with the young woman driving had me on the edge! I could never ever do it!!!
I like Anthony Bourdaine's No Resvation's and Andrew Zimmerman's shows on Travel Channel- the girls watch as well.