I need some creative ideas! Help!

tiredmommy

Duckie has the just-best-in-the-whole-wide world kindergarten teacher. She makes a point each year of having the class create enough books on various topics that each student takes one home at the end of the year. I thought it would be great if the students wrote & illustrated their own book for her as a class gift. The school librarian has agreed to have the kids do the work in the library, all we have to do is find a way to get the teacher to leave her class with the librarian so it will be a surprise. Other than that I need to come up with 21 ways a teacher can make kindergarten special. I want a handy list for the kids in case they have trouble coming up with something on their own. I have a few:
1. You give the best hugs
2. You read the best stories
3. You take me to the playground
4. You help me tie my shoes
5. You help me be a good friend
6. You taught me a lot of fun stuff
7. You always treat me special
8. You make school fun

The format is a letter with a section to draw a picture:

Dear Mrs. XXXXXXXXXXXXX,
You made kindergarten special because...
<span style='font-size: 20pt'>{child draws picture} </span>
...then several lines that the child fills in...
Love,
Child signs

I'll get the sheets laminated & bound. I made a title page with the class picture. I think she'll like it. Can anyone think of any other ideas to add? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

mstang67chic

Going Green
You make me smile
You make me want to learn
You make learning fun
You make books fun

Ummmm.......really, you covered most of the good ones! lol Maybe the kids have some of their own that are specific to them. Ex. you made me feel better when Fido got hit by that car or You made me feel better when I fell and skinned my knee....Things like that.

Great idea by the way!!! :bravo:

tiredmommy

Thanks! I figure the kids will probably have their own ideas but I want to be prepared just in case because we'll have only about 20 minutes to get it done and have the kids pick out/check out books.

DammitJanet

You helped me to draw/paint pretty pictures
We had fun at story time
Show and tell stories

I really cant think of much they do in kindergarten anymore...lol. Been a long time. Do they still celebrate the holidays with parties...maybe something about a party that was special.

I asked Pixie, who is in kindergarten, what her answers would be about her teacher:

You are really nice
You give us free time
You don't get mad if I call you "mommy"
you help me if I get hurt

K

Kjs

My sister has been a kindergarten teacher for 31 years. we live in different states but I sent her an email and asked her what she would like.

I will let you know as soon as she responds.

I went to school with her many years ago. I thought she was such an awesome teacher. Even though now she is an older teacher, she does have some great experience.

tiredmommy

Thank you so much! These are great!!! So here's what we have so far:
1. You give the best hugs
2. You read the best stories
3. You take me to the playground
4. You help me tie my shoes
5. You help me be a good friend
6. You taught me a lot of fun stuff
7. You always treat me special
8. You make school fun
9. You make me smile
10.You make me want to learn
11.You make learning fun
12.You make books fun
13.You helped me to draw/paint pretty pictures
14.We had fun at story time
15.Show and tell stories were awesome!
16.You are really nice
17.You give us free time
18.You don't get mad if I call you "mommy"
19.You help me if I get hurt
20.You help me feel safe
21.You help me when I am scared

Now that's 21, but I'd love to get some more ideas to throw out to the kids!

muttmeister

I had to laugh at the "You don't get mad if I call you Mommy." I taught kindergarten for a lot of years and when I first started it was not uncommon for them to call me mommy. But by the time I retired they were calling me Grandma! :smile:
I think your idea is great; any teacher should love it! :thumb:

Haha, I had to stifle a giggle when she said it too.

She usually calls me daddy for a few hours after visiting with DEX as well. It's all good.

Great list, tiredmommy. And great idea.

LittleDudesMom

TM,

great idea! When difficult child was in third grade we had the most wonderful teacher! It was also her first year. I put together a scrapbook for her. I sent a note home with the students and had each child provide a picture of themselves and then write a letter (with pictures/stickers/drawings, etc.) that began "I like Ms. H. because..." When you opened the pages, the picture of the child was on the left side, and the right page held the letter.

Then I included a bunch of class pictures from the year. It was so wonderful when she opened it and the kids just gathered around as she read it, so excited to hear their letter. She was teary-eyed the whole way through.

I have not been inspired to do something like for another teacher. She was truly one of the best!

Good luck on the project.

Sharon

Sue C

I just saw this post and just wanted you to know what a WONDERFUL idea this is!!! The teacher will LOVE it!!

Don't know if you still need anything or if it's too late, but I was wondering if the classroom has a pet like a hamster or fish. You could say:
"You let us have fish in our classroom."

Also:
You help me zip my jacket.
You sing songs with me.

sue

tiredmommy

I wanted to update:
The session in the library went well, only two kids were absent. There were many "you kept me safe" & "you tied my shoes". My favorite was "you make learning interesting & fun". I kid you not, a kindergartner came up with that! It was one of the two absent kids. I dropped off blank sheets to both girls Tuesday evening and picked them up tonight. All entries are mounted on construction paper, laminating happens tomorrow. That just leaves binding the book. The kids are really excited. :smile: