If I'd have known......

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
all these years ago that all kt needed was a "normal friend" & she would have been cured I would have paid some kid off the street to be her friend. :smile:

kt met one of the neighborhood girls a few days ago (she's 10 & a real sweetie from what I can tell). kt & this girl have been hanging around together & today they rode around the neighborhood on their scooters & visited the little corner pet store that just opened in our area. The owner is so patient with all the kids that come in to explore & look at all the animals he carries.

Tomorrow kt's friend is coming here for goofing around & dinner.

kt went out for a bit after dinner tonight & came home on time. "I told you, Mom. All I ever needed was friends. Now I don't need respite or medications."

"Ah, sweetie, I wish it were that simple." :rolleyes:

neednewtechnique

I think that with girls that age, the company they keep can make, or break, them. With our 13 year old, when she first came to us and was still raging almost on a daily basis, she had normal friends. Once we got the raging under control, she was a great kid to have around for a few months. But then school started again and she met a whole new group of friends that are not the greatest of influences, and although she isn't raging again, she is staying out hours later than she is supposed to, going places she isn't supposed to be, failing all but 2 of her classes at school, and sometimes can't even be bothered to show up to class on time.

**Just a note, the girl is grounded, so these problems we will not have for a few weeks, but the last time she got grounded for staying out almost 2 hours late, she got ungrounded and we turned around and grounded her again the next day.

Maybe grounding doesn't work in this instance??? Not really sure, have not had enough time to see if consistency will bring about change or not.

However, it seems that her "normal" friends were HELPING her keep herself together for a while, by encouraging her to stay calm and not run her mouth off when she shouldn't, or by distracting her into something else when she started to get upset. If your daughter's friend is capable of this kind of influence over her, then she may be a GREAT asset to your daughter's treatment team!!!!

But like you said, if only it were that easy......

jannie

trying to survive....
Linda--
I'm thrilled for KT and her new friend !! Friends make all the difference for both of my boys. I hope it continues--

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
How great that kt has made a friend in the neighborhood. I remember when difficult child was younger and had a friend in the neighborhood-it was so nice-unfortunately they moved. I hope the friendship continues!

That is so awesome! I just love to hear these stories, gives me hope! Aly hasn't made any friends yet since we moved, but spends most of her time with Jayme's older sisters, ages 8 and 7. They are definetly not easy child's but not quite the difficult child she is.

Anyways, I am so happy for kt!! And for you!!

Hugs,
Vickie

mum2JK&TH

That's wonderful news! YAY FOR KT!!!!! At the end of the day (as long as it doesn't start a whole new issue) if she thinks she's cured maybe it will help her.

Hope they have a great night together!