I'm going to need your help!

mstang67chic

Going Green
It's 9:30 on November 2, 2009. I'm currently smoking what I hope to be is my last cigarette. I'll be starting on the patch a bit later. I was going to keep quiet about it but decided I might need a a person (or 50) to talk me down at some point. Or bail me out...whichever.

Bring on the bubble gum, hard candy and chocolate!

klmno

Cold turkey? Wow- you are brazen! But look at the time of year and all the goodies that will be floating around soon to help! Good luck!

mstang67chic

Going Green
NOOOOO cold turkey....that's what the patch is for!!!! LOL

I was on it when I was in the hospital a couple of days and it seemed to help. Of course I was also on percocets and demoral but still! LOL

I have over a bag of bubble gum left from Halloween and will be carrying it with me. The ashtrays are dumped and stacked in the kitchen to be washed and put away. My trash can beside the computer is dumped and I've picked up my empty packs that missed the can and tossed those.

Sigh.

I know I need to do this. I want to do this...I'm tired of feeling like doo, stinking and being shackled to the durn things. But......I'm going to miss it too.

trinityroyal

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

'Stang, sending mega strength your way.
It's darn hard work, but you can do it!

In addition to the bubble gum, hard candy, etc., one thing that I found worked really well was ice water. Keep a tall glass of it with you at all times, and have a sip every time you have a craving.

The water will cool your mouth down, and it will help to flush all the smoking-related gunk from your body.

You CAN do this!

Trinity

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Stang... Don't put the ashtrays away unless they're heirlooms. Trash them.

Any heirlooms? Fill 'em. Pennies, candy, whatever. STUFF. So butts and ashes don't fill them. :)

Me next... Maybe. I want to quit, just haven't been able to 100% convince myself, but if you can... So can I.

Fran

Former desparate mom
:you_go_girl:You can do this. It's not brain surgery. Just make a plan and stick to it. When the urge hits you call someone on the phone to take your mind off of it or do something that you can't possibly smoke and do. The urge will decrease. Break it down to one manageable day at a time or even one hour at a time. Don't let people sabotage you.
I hated the smell of my clothes and my breath. When I realized my husband's clothes were starting to smell was when I said enough. He never smoked a day in his life.
You know all the reasons to quit starting with the price.
My thinking is I can do anything for one day, one week, one month. It's how I endure things that I don't think I can do(like boot camp)
I still look at cigarettes at times and miss them but not like I want to jump in and rip it out of someone's hand. It's more nostalgic then craving.
It takes a while to get to that point.
You are wise to do this while you aren't working. Can you imagine starting a new job where you can't smoke and have to go cold turkey and learn a new job too?

Hang in there and get through today. We are cheering and happy you will smell like a rose again. :queen:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Best thing for quitting the smoking habit?

Natural licorice root. - No joke.

The root in your mouth gives the taste of the cigarette when svucked on. The hand to mouth habit replaces the addiction of hand to mouth habit.

You can only get it in health food stores, it's a little spendy and if you smell it? It's not the best smell in the world, but then neither are peoples butts. Cigarette or otherwise.

Also - svuckers....(again hand to mouth) - your mouth will get bored and be looking for a replacement pacifier. Real licorice whips or twists.

Gum and hard candy without sticks usually don't help because you do not chew cigarettes.

Other things that DO help?

Getting a jar - and fill it with water 1/3 the way. All day today - put your butts in it and then reseal. Tomorrow or whenever you quit - and have the urge to smoke - open the lid and smell the contents of the jar.

The jar represents ONE of your lungs.

Also GOOGLE cancerous lung pictures today and print them out. Put them all over the house and post them in places you normally would smoke.

If you smoked in the house - open all the windows today and begin airing out your home and washing down walls, curtains drapes, couch cushions etc. Getting the smoking smell OUT will help your bodys craving for the nicotine. If your brain can smell it your body will want it more. Eliminate the smell in your car.....home....etc.

But do keep that jar....(LUNG) around - If you did that for a week? And smelled inside that jar after putting all your butts in it? THAT is what people that don't smoke smell on people that do smoke and find offensive - not to mention what you have done to your lung and villia in one week...imagine what you have done to your lungs in one year 0r two -

When you stop? Your lungs being to heal - so plan on hacking up a bunch of gunk like you have bronchitis...and....sadly you will be more susceptible to junk while you are healing but once you are healed? You won't catch junk as easily with healthy lungs. Which is good because you never know what you're going to be doing a year from now.

Good luck!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Fortunately we didn't have many trick or treaters. I have lots of bubble gum and tootsie pops left.

The patches we had (husband got some from our insurance program) are EXPIRED so I've got to go get some. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Licorice root.........um........that sounds...........:sick:

I'll stick with the tootsie pops, gum and mints. Mints always seemed to help control cravigns when I couldn't smoke.

flutterby

Fly away!
Candy canes are the best. Peppermint helps curb the craving and you have the hand to mouth thing going on. Since Christmas stuff is out already, they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Funny that you posted this. I just smoked my last cigarette. I'm going cold turkey.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You ladies can do it!!!
It has been about 13 years since I quit!!! Cold Turkey, when I had the flu... Pack a day.
I worked in a bar also. I actually helped, the smell made me hate it.
Tic-tacs. Mentos, I like the svcky candies though.
I love the actual black licorice from the health food store! It is also pricey, nice treat.

Duct Tape works really also....

Star*

call 911........call 911
THe only way duct tape worked when I quit smoking was if my hands got taped to my feet.

Best thing that I did when I quit smoking - Pretended that ALL my cigarettes 2 weeks prior to that tasted like dog turds smell.

Kid you not - ever time I picked one up - I had a friend that would bow her head and pray "Dear God please make that nasty cigarette taste like a dog turd smells - Amen"

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Warning on the natural licorice root or candies made from same. The stuff can have a real impact on people with high blood pressure.

I think most docs are pretty aware of this one, as it is pretty well known.

mstang67chic

Going Green
It got pretty ugly round these here parts before I got my patches. We can order them free through husband's insurance company but I had to go buy a box to carry me through. You know how some people have crying jags?

Uh huh.

I don't get those.

I get screaming jags.

I was a bit nutso. So much so that when I got out of the store with my patches, I had two on before I even started the car. (Yes two...already talked to the doctor and she gave me a dosage and schedule to use) I had a book with me so I just found a quiet spot to part and sat there reading for a couple of hours before I went home. Figured that would be much safer. I also have a physical reminder to carry with me and help me remember why I'm doing this. Hopefully that helps.

Sigh. This is going to be a long haul.

susiestar

Roll With It
I wish you all kinds of strength with this.

My doctor says I am the odd duck. I only smoke/want to smoke when I am very depressed. The rest of the time I don't like it in any way, shape, or form.

So now if I want a cigarette I reach for my prozac. No other AD works for me. Prozac works for this and for depression for me.

It took a number of years of being an on and off smoker to figure this out.

You should be able to get licorice root at the health food stores. It truly IS great for this, and for sore throats and many other things.

I hope this goes well and you can enjoy a healthier smoke-free life.

Have you checked the walmart site to see if they still have the free sample of nicorrette gum? It was there a while back.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I've had the gum before and didn't much care for it. Besides...I can't chew that much! LOL I think I'm better off with the patches that give me a constant stream of nicotine. Then if I need to do something else, I can grab a sucker or candy cane or something. Too much gum and my teeth and jaws start to hurt.

flutterby

Fly away!
I hope you don't become desperate enough to grab a stinker. We all now know how bad Chester's are. :tongue:

Go for a lollipop instead. :tongue:

trinityroyal

Getting a jar - and fill it with water 1/3 the way. All day today - put your butts in it and then reseal. Tomorrow or whenever you quit - and have the urge to smoke - open the lid and smell the contents of the jar.

The jar represents ONE of your lungs.

I can attest to the fact that the nasty jar thing really really works.

When I quit, this was the technique I used. The smell would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon, and it was enough to make me never want to smoke (or eat) again.

You can do it!

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Sending support to all who are trying to stop bad habits......
The jar therapy sounds like it would be helpful in making a change!

N

Nomad

Have you ever googled photos of cancer infected lungs? I wonder if that might help when you are tempted.

Do whatever helps...it is so worth it.

What about hypnosis?

You can do this...say positive affirmations...take out a pad and write them down.

We are all cheering you on, thinking good thoughts....sending positive vibes your way!

Bottom line: you can and will do this!!!! Now get to it!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Twenty-five hours plus and counting! This morning wasn't as bad as I thought it was although sitting at the computer, I find myself reaching for my smokes. I think I'm going to move the laptop.

I had talked to my doctor yesterday morning to get her recommendation on the patches as for dosages and all. She said (and I triple checked) to use 2 patches of 21 mg each per day at the same time. I did and had no trouble all day. My balance was a bit off at times but the packaging says you may get dizzy as it's a constant influx of nicotine vs sporadic with smoking. But last night around 2am I woke up not feeling well and wound up in the bathroom sick. We had something new for supper last night so I don't know if that's what did it or if it was the patches. husband said he felt fine so I took both patches off and put just one on this morning early. I can tell there is a bit more craving with only one of the patches but I don't want to have a repeat of last night or risk OD'ing on them so I'm going to leave it at this for now.