I'm just cold....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I woke early to let Sally out this morning & it was -18 degrees. Took my medications & snuggled back in bed.

Woke up around 10 or so & it struggled to -14 degrees. Now the sun is going down & the high today was -5 degrees.

It gets to the point where it doesn't matter what the thermometer says - it's just freakin cold.:coldday::frostbite::2cold:

Done whining about it -my house is warm & cozy. Mostly in my bed - may head back there as it's the coziest room in my house.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
yeah TL. It made it up to a whole 2 above up here in N. Central WI today. It was -12 when I got up to take the dog out this AM and that's not counting a ferocius wind chill factor. Right now it is -2 again, but the winds have died down a bit.

My poor cat doesn't understand why he can't go out--his paws would freeze to the snow--so he's wandering around whining.

I wish I could let him out. He's a former feral and does not use a litterbox. Rather he is hoursebroken just like a dog. He asks to go out when he has to "go"

With him not being able to go out, he's been hitting a couple of spots on the floor. Luckily not anything that can't be easily cleaned up.

SRL

Linda, our local weather station is apparently froze up because it's listed 32degrees ever since the temps dropped. Since the high temps of the day aren't predicted to get past 4 degrees we can safely say things aren't working but it's been nice in a delusional sort of way.:hawaii_girl:

SRL

GoingNorth, my cat has been going absolutely nuts the past few days without his outside time. He steps out for about 2 minutes, hangs around the door, and then needs back in. He's got a lot of extra energy so he's attacking legs and he's getting so bored he woke me up in the middle of the night to feed him.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
SRL, with windchills down to thirty below, my guy cannot go outside at all. He's got some Siamese in the mix (has the markings) and like a siamese, has a very short single layer coat.

Usually when it's cold, he zips outside, takes care of business, and comes back in. In warmer weather, he spends quite a bit of time outdoors--he much prefers to eat what he can catch himself than canned cat food. He does have quality dry food available at all times.

klmno

Hello, Whimp here! I've been mumbling about being cold all day because our high was about 30. It sure is a good thing I don't live further west or further north- I don't know how you all stand it!

SRL

Mine is out of a feral mama and has very long hair. On a typical cold day he'll spend 30 minutes at a time outside, provided that it isn't raining. On rainy days he often is desperate enough to go outside that he'll hang behind the hedges where he stays pretty dry.

But this is just too cold, and too dangerous to be out for long. I'm glad our neighborhood no longer has a huge feral cat population as it just pained me to see them outside on days like this.

Kathy813

Staff member
Okay, you may laugh me off this thread but the high here today was only 36 degrees which we consider very cold here in the sunny south. Even worse, it is going to stay this way for several days with lows in the teens.

How do you all do this all winter long????:2cold:

~Kathy

Wiped Out

Staff member
It's been really cold here today too. Windchill started at -19! husband has lit all the candles to try and help it warm up. Our main floor is freezing but the upstairs is cozy warm (of course, we're down on the main floor).

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My cat is missing the outside as well ~ driving me nuts with all the meowing & such. Yet, he won't set a foot out & I don't blame him.

Since I've grew up in the upper Midwest I should be just fine but spent 13 or more years out in the Pac. NW & I've turned into a cold weather wuss. Pathetic, isn't it?

More than anything I hate feeling so home bound. At least the daylight is growing by a minute or 2 a day - that helps.

Stay warm ladies. Get the afghans & quilts out. Snuggy flannels pj's & booties socks.
Who here knows about CuddleDuds? Aren't they the next best thing to sliced bread?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'll send you some of the sunshine we had today -- it got up to 84 degrees, so plenty to go around! :hot:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Pretty cold here too but baby sis will head back to Minnesota tomorrow and she isn't looking forward to the negative temps.

Kathy813

Staff member
Linda,

I discovered Cuddleduds years ago. I wear them from November to March (yes, even here in Georgia) since I get cold very easily! It's amazing what a difference they make.

I even found some at TJ Max this year for $4.99 each! by the way, did you notice that they make them smaller than they used to? Either that or I have gotten bigger. LOL

~Kathy

Last edited:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Kathy,

Wonder if TJ Maxx still has Cuddleduds for sale in their stores. A lot cheaper than at Kohl's or JC Penney.

Yes, I believe they have "resized" their product. If they want continuing business they should be doing it in the opposite direction.:rofl:

Fran, I'll be here waiting for baby sis with hot chocolate (or mulled wine) , a warm blanket & a shoulder to cry on. :wine:

susiestar

Roll With It
I hate cold. It has been cold enough to snow since a few days before Christmas. A rare white Christmas here in OK. Usually my town doesn't get snow much except for maybe late Jan-early Feb. Except for about every 3rd year we get a week of freezing temps and ice in March. Usually around the 10-15th.

That is plenty of snow/ice/freezing for me. Spent too many years in Cinci to want anything to do with the cold. Not sure how you cope in the north.

Kathy813

Staff member
Linda,

I was shocked when I found them that cheap. I remember when you could only buy them in high-end department stores.

I did some Internet research and found that other people are complaining about the fact that the sizes are smaller now than 10 years ago. One person blamed outsourcing and cost cutting. I used to wear small and now I need medium. I'm glad to hear that it is not just me!

Stay warm!

~Kathy

tiredmommy

It's been in the teens here all day and we've gotten about 9" of snow. We'd have the negative temps too if it weren't for our proximity to the Great Lakes. I'm really not used to this deep cold yet... it's like a switch was thrown. I was able to wear a thick fleece jacket and mittens to the mall on Thursday but husband needed his ski mask & down coat to clear the driveway today. I think we dropped about 20 degrees in a day!:frozen:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Darn it...we had Cuddleduds REALLY cheap the last 2 days, but they went really fast.

Nothing like going to work in negative temps. Just a great way to start your day off.

Abbey

SRL

To really frost the cake, the heat on my van went out on New Year's Eve and as the place we take it has been closed all weekend, it won't get in until tomorrow. :2cold:

My cat has been happier now that he's discovered he can handle sitting out the deck in the afternoon sun where the snow is melted. It's not much for exercise but he seems to feel a lot better now that he can sit on the deck and stand guard over the back yard. :D