I'm sitting here - making a menu

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
for the next week to get groceries in the house.

I don't know about you, but after almost 19 years of marriage, 6 going on 7 years of GFGdom, I'm simply out of ideas for meals. :rolleyes:

When I ask for ideas from my "beloved" family, husband's response is "whatever you make is delicious"; kt's response "pancakes & bacon".

Twice a week husband & kt are in charge of dinner which is fun to watch, a break in the routine & a mess to clean up. Somehow, they haven't gotten the clean while you cook concept down.

Ideas...anyone???? Given the choice, I'd feed them all cereal every night - eating has become so tedious. :rofl:

On_Call

Have you had a "welcome warm weather" cookout yet? husband is buying stuff for the grill today while I'm at work and sometime over the weekend (although the temps are returning to the upper 50's - lower 60's this weekend) we are going to cook out and I'm going to make a macaroni salad and cut up some cucumbers, etc.

We have breakfast night almost once a week. French toast, belgian waffles, omelettes, etc. - one at a time, of course - not a 6-course breakfast dinner. lol Easy and everyone loves it.

I go through those phases, too, where I feel like we eat the same stuff all the time and nothing sounds good.

The macaroni salad sounds good to me right now, though, and it's not even 8:00 a.m.

Good luck with the menu!

Lothlorien

Thin pork chops...sprinkle with combo of parm cheese and bread crumbs (they don't need to be fully breaded)

With leftover breadcrumbs and cheese, toss a drained can of quarterd artichoke hearts.

When chops are done sauteing, take them out and throw in the artichokes until carmelized.

Cut up about 10 or 12 grape tomatoes.

When chokes are done, put chops back in pan to warm and throw the tomatoes in.

Fresh groun pepper. You don't need much salt because of the cheese and the chokes are salty from the can, but if you use frozen chokes than you need some salt. Oh, and don't forget the garlic. You can put some garlic in while sauteing the chokes.

Done. This takes about 10 minutes or less to make. It's easy and really good.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Yum,Loth. Those sound great. I may have to try that soon.
I just did my first shrimp boil. It is easy and turned out better than I expected.
I'm with you Linda. After being in the kitchen since a teen, I am simply out of ideas or enthusiasm for cooking.
Fussy palates and low fat eating has sucked the pleasure out of cooking well. Even the easy recipes don't hold much allure any longer.
About once every two weeks, I get fresh, out of the oven loaf of French bread and cut it lengthwise. I get 3different types at a 1/4 lb of the best luncheon meats available(Boar;s Head)We like hard salami,hot cappicola and ham or turkey breast. Add a layer of the sharp provolone, and a layer of the baby swiss(boar's head). Slices of tomato's and spicy brown mustard. It's a big hit especially on night's when everyone gets home at different times. This is one thing that everyone seems to love. I think the secret is the really fresh bread and the really high quality of meat and cheese.
Breakfast food is a once in a while meal when husband is out of town. </span>

dreamer

When I first began to be well enough to cook again, I had NO idea WHAT to make, LOL. DInnertime would come and I would still be trying to figure it out, LOL.
I got a bunch of take out menus, and looked thru cookbooks, not for the recipes, but for ideas. Then I made a week at a time menu and that helped me stick to a decision and helped guide me. Knowing what was "on the menu" helped me get past my slump, and the take out menus gave me ideas for what to put on the menu.
We have spaghetti on Tuesdays simply becuz the whole family WILL eat it (it is maybe the only thing they will ALL eat) and 25-30 years ago some pasta company had a commercial where Tuesday was Prince Spaghetti day, LOL- sounded good to me. Fridays I do fish, - we are not catholic and we do not give up meat ever for anything, not even Lent, but- LOL- again, it just seemed to take some of the chore of decision out of my hands, so fish on Fri it is! LOL. SOmetimes it is scrod or trout, sometimes salmon or salmon patties, or tuna salad or tuna casserole..but hey, just knowing it is confined to "fish" helps.
We also are a family who adores breakfast food for dinner- waffles, pancakes, omlets, poached eggs.......Oatmeal.

In the summer I like lots of fresh veg fresh fruit meals. Does not matter if it sounds like it "goes together" or "constituttes a meal" we make do. LOL. I might make a giant greek salad (lettuces, onion,s green peppers, cucmbers, feta cheese) and watermelon, cantaloupe, cherries, grapes, pineapple for "desert"
Chicken salad, egg salad, tuna salad are all good with lots of fresh fruit.
There is also a salad you can make with ramen.........

Last week I made taco meat, fajitas meat, and set out tortillas, taco shells, nacho chips, and we had shredded lettuce, diced onions, shredded cheeses ( a few kinds) chopped olives, tomatos etc- and it was decide what YOU want. I used a plastic shoebox and put everything in ziplocks in fridge for assemble your own leftovers. (after we were done)

grilled chicken and a salad made of spinach, feta and red onions and then slice strawberries on top and use rasberry dressing is yummy and easy.

Linda,

Is your family into casseroles? I have one for ya that is a huge hit with my family.

Tatot Tot Hot Dish

1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion
Frozen mixed vegies
Cream Celery Soup
1/2 C milk
Tator tots (We like the minis)
Grated cheese (we usually use sharp cheddar)
Salt, pepper and garlic to taste

Brown ground beef and onion till done, drain well. Season to taste.

Spray a large casserole dish with Pam

Put in ground beef on bottom of casserole dish

Top meat with frozen mixed vegies (our family really likes alot of vegies so I usually use almost a whole large bag)

Top Vegies with 1/2 can of Cream Celery Soup.

Pour Milk into remaining Soup in can, stir well.

Pour Milk/soup mixture on top of vegies, spread evenly.

Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of soup. (we use alot)

Arrange tator tots on top of cheese. (we use alot)

Bake 350 for 1 hour.

I usually serve with fruit salad and/or corn bread.

Have fun!

Hugs,
Vickie

dreamer

Let me think- last week we had..........broiled cod in lemons, (baked potatos, and cooked spinach), scrambled eggs in tortillas with salsa.......tuna salad in avacados, sausage and bacon in saur :censored2:, poached chicken with sweet and sour sauce and rice.....beef stew...........cantaloupe-cottage cheese-watermelon- strawberries-blueberries and red grapes and bagels with cream cheese- burgers and hot dogs on grill with potato salad and corn on cob, recently we had---mandarin orange salad, pork chops made with cream soup and sliced potatos, tuna casserole, tuna melts with pineapple on english muffins, monte cristos (french toast made into a grilled sandwhich with deli ham, turkey and cheese) homemade split pea soup with BLTs.

hot dogs with cornbread and chili, we did the mexican nite I posted about above. (I meant to say I put all the ziplocks of fixings into a plastic shoebox in fridge to facilitate eating leftovers as they came and went around here----3 kids, 2 boyfriends, countless teen girl pals, and my son)
We also had a help make your pizza nite, too. I made pizza crusts and set them out and had ziplocks of toppings, so everyone could make their pizza their way.........(and noone could grumble at me cuz it did not have on it what they wanted etc) --- I have heard of people using tortillas, muffins, bagels, bread, or french bread for the crust for home done pizza, as well......

and we had hors d'oerve nite one nite, where I set out a few cheeses, crackers, sliced sausage, fresh veggies and dip- fresh fruits cut up.........I think I had a package of frozen ???? spinach puffs? or something, I set out, as well, and I whipped up some spinach dip and they liked that on the veggies, too. (carrots, celery sticks, carrot sticks, strips of red and green peppers, cucs, grape tomatos, raw broccoli,radishes, green onions, etc)

and we like soup even in summer......and we like turkey........I will get one, bake it on a sunday and we eat that all week on sandwhiches, and on salads, and such.

I like food, and I missed it bad when I was so sick.......my family cannot cook....and we spent over 2 years eating mostly take out. Maybe that might sound nice, but----------I HATED it.
My husband will eat ANYTHING----including canned stew straight from the can. Problem is he does not appreciate anything "good". My oldest wants everything but then dislikes everything once she has it. Seems it never meets her expectations or something. My youngest, my son? He only eats becuz he has to- he does not enjoy eating, likes nothing except hot dogs- no bun, plain and cheese pizza and apple jacks cereal. :-( (was hospitalized for failure to thrive, will starve before eating something he does not want to eat, literally) My middle kid will eat, but is seldom home these days due to being in school, taking course overload and working 2 jobs.

I cannot eat alone, by myself, at all. I cannot eat in a hurry. I eat based on cravings, mostly. I seldom can eat something if I am not "in the mood" Sooooooooooooooooo-- mmealtimes here can be difficult to say the least.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Here is a list of simple meals that I draw on when I've gotten sick of the same old same old...

Easy Parmesan Chicken – Chicken, Caesar dressing, parm cheese, sour cream, cream. Put raw, pratially frozen chicken into a casserol dish and cover with mixed ingredients and bake for about 35 minutes or until lightly browned on top at 325-350 degrees. Serve with-Green veggie (or salad) and italian bread. No breading or grease makes it healthier and easy clean up.

Steak roll-ups – Flank steak, fresh spinach/dried Italian herbs, parm cheese or provo cheese. Pound out steak and stuff with spinich and herb, tie closed, cut into little mini rolls. Grill or broil or roast and serve with-salad and potatoes.

Pasta & sauce – Sauce, Pasta, Ital Bread, Salad and either saus/braciole/meatballs. I keep the canned 'Traditional" sauce by hunts or delmonte on hand for a quick sauce that I add some meat to and cook and spice it up.

Baked Chicken – Chicken :censored2:/split, serve with salad, biscuits &/or rice/potatoes. Simple and easy and yummy.

Shrimp Cajun style – Shrimp, bell peppers, onions, spices, served with Spanish rice. Marinate the shrimp in cajun spices. Sautee the onions & peppers, then add the shrimp and a splash of red wine if desired. Serve up on Near East spanish rice.

Beef stew – Stew meat, carrots, green beans, onions, potatoes, beef broth/bullion. Can serve with noodles or bread. Crockpot stew is easy!

Chicken Enchiladas – Chicken, salsa, corn tortillas, cheeses, sour cream. Serve with salad if desired. Boil the chicken and then shred it up, add cheese, and 1 Cup of salsa, mix it together. Lightly fry the CORN tortillas and then roll each one with chicken filling. Put into a casserole dish and lightly cover with either enchilada sauce or salsa and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Serve with rice and beans, sour cream and some salad.

Eggplant Enchiladas – Same as above (sub the chicken for eggplant). And add toasted almond slivers - very nice crunch and taste.

Chili – (beef chili) – Meat, kidney beans, onions, garlic, spices (chili powder), crushed tomatos. Serve with-rice. Cheese. Crockpot dish!

Quiche – Eggs, broccoli, cheeses, milk/cream, pie crust. I use basically whatever cheese/veggie I have on hand and throw it all in there - very tasty.

Chicken Pot Pie – Leftover chicken, assorted veggies, chicken gravy, pie crusts.

Hamburgers – Chopmeat, buns, fixins – serve with-salad and/or pickles.

Burritos – Beans (can also have cooked chopmeat/chicken), flour tortillas, sour cream, lettuce, salsa, cheeses. Serve with salad if desired.

Chicken Cacciatore – Chicken, cut up with-bone, Crushed Plum tomatoes, ital spices, wine, mushrooms, peppers. Crockpot meal!

donna723

I know exactly what you mean! I can go through the whole grocery store, looking at everything, and everything I look at I'm thinking ... "I just had that!" :frown: I confess to sometimes looking at the menu at work for what they're cooking in the prison kitchen, just to see if there's something I haven't had in a while!

I've found myself buying a lot of the pre-packaged "salad kits" that come with the dressing, croutons, etc., and then adding things - like sliced chicken or other leftover meat, hard boiled eggs, etc.

And am I the only one who wishes that someone would invent a NEW vegetable???

crazymama30

I have no time to cook, and take out is too expensive. easy child asked if we were having crock pot crud again, and I wanted to scream. Guess it is time to give that and also hamburger. Kids are tired of that. I bought frozen french fries, seems that if we have fries, anything else is good.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I went to Sams Club (or maybe it was Costco) and bought a hugh cookbook called The Taste of Home. For a while now someone once a week picks out something new for dinner (usually done on a weekend), along with a new side dish or two, and I make it - just a little diversion from Tacos, spagetti, the crock pot, etc.

Marcie

DDD

A bit late and not too inspired, lol, here is my weeks menu.
Yes....I do a menu and put it on the refrigerator so I don't get
asked over and over again AND everyone knows to keep their mitts
off the ingredients. Monday: Chicken :censored2: cooked in sauce of
diced tomatoes, green peppers diced, curry powder & red pepper flakes. Brown Rice with- sauteed portabella mushrooms, Cottage cheese and fruit salad. Tuesday: Chili, crackers, green salad.
Wed. Chicken/yellow rice/diced green olives. Black beans &
onions. Sliced tomato/cottage cheese salad. Thurs. Meatloag,
baked potatoes, sliced beets and green salad. Fri. Hot dogs,
baked beans, potato salad. Sat: London broil, wild rice, asparagus. Sunday...Mothers Day. I'm not cooking. LOL. DDD

:smile: I can't get over that you can't type b r e a s t s!

klmno

you guys sound like gourmet chefs compared to me! i'm taking notes on these recipes. i grew up eating home cooked southern meals ( trust me, other areas of childhood were problematic, so i enjoyed the food). i don't have a lot of time to cook either and the budget is tighter now that difficult child wants to eat twice as much as me; so, i found the solution for us is to cook two big meals on weekends and make sure there is enough for one night of leftovers of each dinner- it's a plus if there's enough for a container in the freezer for a later date. This covers 4 nights- i alternate them to keep difficult child from whining. then i make another during the week that's quick and easy- then we have what we call "wing-it night", which means it could be your favorite leftover of the week, assuming there's any left, or a big BLT with soup, pizza, etc. i know, this is cheesey, but i try to make the big meals really good- a roast partially cooked on the grill and finished in the oven (tastes like a prime rib with the grill flavor); fresh swordfish or tuna with pasta and fresh spinach cooked in extra virgin olive oil; mexican chicken or eggplant casserole with salad and bread; cabbage rolls with beans and mashed potatoes and cornbread. you get the idea. tomorrow,since of course, i'll be cooking, it will be chicken/shrimp/mushroom shish-k-bobs with salad, baked potatoes, and bread.