In need of ODD Advice

mamastress

I am not sure if I am posting in the right section, but I am in desprate need of advice for my ADHD/ODD 12 year old! We have two smaller children that are being exposed to his constant outbursts, tantrums and drama. The lying and exagerating is going to literally drive me insane and I really want my old son back. Since his 12th birthday he has gotten 10x worse. Can someone please tell me that it gets better soon.

H

HaoZi

Hi and welcome. Happy you found us, sorry you needed to. Can you tell us more about his history and how he was diagnosis'd, what (if any) medications he's on, etc. In the meantime, pick up The Explosive Child by Ross Greene as a good starter book. Yes, it can get better. Most of us don't consider ODD to be a diagnosis in and of itself, but rather a symptom of an underlying diagnosis, incorrect diagnosis, etc. Has he been allergy tested (sometimes those can cause or aggravate these things) and what other testing has he had? Does he have an IEP?

ETA: At 12 puberty is likely also adding its share.

keista

Welcome to the board!

A few questions so we can get to know you and your situation a bit better:

Who diagnosed him? How old was he when he was diagnosed? Is he on any medication? What others have you tried in the past? Is this behavior seen at school as well? How are his grades? Does he have an IEP?

Oh, sorry it's a lot at once, but will give us a better idea of what's going on.

As well as welcoming you to the board, I'd like to welcome you to PUBERTY! Yes, puberty can push any child into a tailspin, and it's usually worse for one that already has other issues to contend with.

Welcome again, :notalone:

BusynMember

Do you think he may be using recreational drugs? That's the age many difficult child's start and they certainly add to wild behavior.

InsaneCdn

Things can change dramatically - but don't be looking for turning things around in the direction YOU want things to go, for a while...
'Cause even if there were NO other issues, puberty alone would push this fellow over the edge.

We had to learn what "normal" was, so we could distinguish "normal" from "abnormal" (we deal with both at the same time).

More details will help us give you feedback...