Inspiring or Offensive?

susiestar

Roll With It
I do not want to start a political controversy of any kind, but I am wondering what you think of this.

There is a video on youtube of an elderly man who survived Auschwitz back at the concentration camp dancing with his grandkids to the song "I Will Survive". His daughter put it together after a family trip back to Auschwitz. She wanted to get people talking about the concentration camps with the next generation of kids.

Some people are upset saying it is wrong to show people dancing there.

Personally I think it is awesome. It seems like a fitting way to prove that the Nazi's couldn't kill the will to survive and thrive and enjoy life, not even with the concentration camps. One of my favorite inspirational sayings is that living well is the best revenge - and this is a symbol of that. At least to me, anyway.

What do you think?

TerryJ2

I heard about this. Thanks for the link.
I think it's inspiring. The spirit of it is that he did survive and life can be joyous.
He's keeping the name "Auschwitz" alive, as well, which is important in this day and age of McD, instant gratification, and shallow thinking.

Marguerite

If it was just anybody kicking up their heels in this place, it would seem to trivialise the enormity of what happened there because how could they really understand? But of course this guy gets it, so do his grandchildren. I think what they did was lovely. They have said that they do understand why some people are offended, they were really trying to be respectful and made sure that when they recorded it, there were no other people anywhere near who could have been offended by seeing this happen while they were there.

All those considerations being taken - I think it is inspiring.

Marg

Mattsmom277

Another one who thinks it is inspirational. Indeed, if it was ME dancing about and videotaping, I would consider it the height of disrespectful and would be unimpressed to say the least.

I admire someone who could even go back to that spot, that time in their memories, in the flesh. Having survived that horrible place, he chose to dance there and rejoice in survival and overcoming the worst possible odds. That is truly the embodiment of a spirit meant to inspire. Thanks for sharing !

muttmeister

I agree; definitely inspiring. How sad if the powers that brought us this horror still had the power over the lives of people like that grandfather to make them less of a person. To me, this just shows the triumph of the human spirit.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
It is inspiring because the "survivor" chose to go back and share his life with the next generation...

It would be highly offensive if the latest "hip-hop" act or some other chose to make a similar video.

JMHO

klmno

I agree. It's kind of like those who suffered so much grief from loss or barely surviving 911- some may go there (Ground Zero) someday and feel strength in the fact that they survived and we still have our country. Others might not find that fitting for them. Either way, it's not the same as celebrating that it happened. (I am not saying 911 and the Nazi experience are the same- just the unjust loss of life is similar.)

Andy

Very inspiring! This family is protraying victory over a very terrible time in the world's history. Dancing for the right reason of showing strength in overcoming an injustice is very acceptable. Not much unlike all the wonderful music that was written after 911 that instilled strength and unity of our nation.

I would guess those that are offended have very personal wounds from the tragedy and are still offended by even seeing the buildings or hearing the accounts of the events. Their offense goes up immediately and they are unable to listen or watch further to see if the words or actions are meant to strengthen the survivors. Once their wounds are healed enough, they may be able to see this for the good it is.

A wedding dance, a street dance, or any other dance done on those grounds for any reason other than to address the strength of the nation who survived would be offending. Let the people dance to celebrate the end of a terrible time in their family's lives and the fact that they did survive. I am sure their hearts are still crying for those who did not survive - a burden they will carry all their lives. It is good that they do have something to celebrate. Life is about sadness and victory. Which one you dwell on and how you address each of these will determine your strength. Complete sadness will bring about a defeatist attitude and you feel alone and defenseless but recognizing a victory will bring across strength and you see and feel others joining in - you are not alone. Everyone needs strength if we are to continue to overcome evil actions in the world.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I wasn't offended by it, per se, but I found it to be unsettling. My "take" on it is different as most of my family on both sides died in the camps and I still have two surviving relatives who have the tattoos on their arms.

I have a couple of US relatives who went back to try to get family members out of Russia and Lithuania and Poland, and wound up in the death camps themselves.

To me, it is still a raw wound and even the traditional bitter humor of Jewry doesn't excuse it.

That's my "take" on it and it is totally cultural.

I've been to Dachau, to Auschwitz, and to Treblinka. I've done the tours, visited the museums and the death chambers ("showers")