Is Retesting Necessary?

Pam R

Repost from Main Board:

DS started his neuropsyche testing in September 2004. He is very resistant to testing. It took his doctor until March of 2005, doing weekly testing (and retesting the ones he blew off) to finish it with something resembling where he actually was.

Fast forward to now. We are starting the IEP process to get him where he can get extended services after 18 and adult services after that.

The school wanted the testing done over, as it was over 3 years since it was started. The doctor said only some of it needed to be done, as some would not change, i.e. IQ, etc. She agreed to do the bits that might change.

We did not want the school doing it for several reasons:
1. His resistance
2. The doctor's persistance in getting true results
3. DS's intense dislike of the school psyche person
4. Our bad history with the school
5. The school decidedly does NOT have DS's best interests at heart

So the school at the first meeting rejected the original report with-o even seeing what was in it. They wanted the testing done over. I expressed that the doctor felt just some parts needed redone. They agreed to that.

That was in early September. I've been after the doctor to get authorization and start the testing. The school has completed the Occupational Therapist (OT), academic assessment, and speech & language. (DS did blow off the academic but seems to have co-operated on the other 2.)

I finally confronted the doctor about when testing would start. She's not even put in for authorization, having decided NONE of the testing needed to be done.

So I told the school. They said they would NOW look at the old testing and decide. I sent them the old testing and they say they will accept that, as while it's older than 3 years at the start, it was not finished in over 3 years, just over 2 yrs old.

I told my advocate about this and she feels that new testing SHOULD be done, by the school if necessary. She does know why we did not want the school to do it.

My question:

What do any of you know about the testing, time periods, and the pluses and minuses of doing vs. not doing the testing over?

As far as I can tell, not much has changed with DS. The ODD stuff is much less, as long as he's stable on the food program. But it comes roaring back at the first wobble. Other than that, he's much the same as he's always been.

I don't know where to stand in the advocate vs. doctor thing. I think I need to know more, but have no idea what that should be. I have until early January, when the next meeting is, to find out.

Thanks for any help or info.

Pam R.

Sheila

I'm unclear on what you mean "extended services after 18...." An IEP student is entitled to a public education until the student is 22 or until s/he graduates with a regular diploma.

School district's have the legal right to perform their own evaluation(s) whether the private evaluation was completed yesterday or at some point in the past -- period. It doesn't matter why a parent may not want the sd to evaluate and it doesn't matter that a student's doctor says it's unnecessary.

School district's must "consider" private evaluation(s), however, they do not have to accept them in lieu of doing their own evaluation(s).

IDEA/IEP requires an IEP student to be reevaluated every three years unless the parent and the school district agree a new evaluation is not necessary.

The bottom line is that the school district has the right to evaluate. If for some reason you disagree with their evaluation(s), you have the right to request an IEE.

Under ordinary circumstances, IQs don't usually change significantly but it happens. Kids with ADHD often have a co-existing learning disorder. Sometimes an Learning Disability (LD) is difficult to identify until a child is older.
The school has completed the Occupational Therapist (OT), academic assessment, and speech & language. (DS did blow off the academic but seems to have co-operated on the other 2.)

So what part has the sd not completed?

Pam R

My understanding is that an IEP covers a child to 18, then a 688 covers them from 18-22. To get a 688, one must have an IEP. After 688, the child transfers to adult services.

You are right, they may consider an outside report, but are NOT required to accept it.

Again, if the school does the psyche and we don't agree, they must pay to have it done outside.

The school did not do the neuro-psyche because the doctor had said she would, then changed her mind.

I read the URL posted. (The cognitive stuff interfered and it was pretty hard going.) It was initiated in California, but am I correct in assuming that IDEA is a Federal thing? In which case, it would be relevant here in Mass.?

So the questions remain: Should the retesting be done by the school, knowing DS will blow it off?

Or should we try to find an outside place, new to DS (in effect changing horses in mid-stream) to do the retesting, during which he might not co-operate as he doesn't have rapport with the tester?

Or should we allow the school to accept the 2.5 yr. old outside report?

Pam R.

Sheila

I've never heard of a 688 in relation to IDEA -- you might want to check your State education regs.

And yes, IDEA is federal and applies throughout the USA.

Sorry, can't tell you what to do about the evaluation.