Jackson is home

BusynMember

What a sweet little chi. Did so well his first night. Cuddling with me now.

He sees our vet tomorrow and he does obviously have allergies and his back legs wobble sometimes. We dont know if that is trauma from his days on the streets or a neurological disorder, but we will find out and he is with us to the end.

Just wanted to update!!

Lil

Aw I hope the little guy is okay. You're so good to adopt a needy dog.

Our little Mac is causing us worry. Twice now he's awakened us in the night just shrieking, not a yelp or a whine or a howl or a bark, but a horrible sound. The first time I thought he was stuck, as his nose was just jammed in the side of his crate. Last night though, he was fine...though he looked like he was dreaming, with the jerking leg thing? Both times he wet the bed, so to speak. I would think it was a seizure, but it was the middle of the night and he'd been asleep. Do dogs have terrible nightmares do you think?

BusynMember

If they have been abused, maybe abused in a crate even, I think they could. But I would have him checked for seizures right away.. I would take him to a very good vet.

We are taking Jackson to the vet tomorrow to find out why his back legs are weak. We knew this before we adopted him and it could get pricey, but we need to find out all about him. To us, he is family now.

Good luck with your baby.

Lil

Mac's been with us since 6 weeks old. He's been pampered more than abused. I suppose something could have happened last time he was kenneled - but that was in early June! I've never heard of seizures while asleep...he's fine all day - at least, his crate is dry - and when we're with him at home or out. He "wakes up" when I touch him and pet him and talk to him, and if it were a seizure it would just run its course. He does seen a tad disoriented after, but then again, so am I when woken from a sound sleep! Being blind, it's not like we can judge by his zeroing in on us, he routinely looks about a foot over our heads. I suppose it's possible he's vocalizing and waking us right at the end of the seizure and so it seems like we're waking him up when we really aren't.

Worst, I was just talking with a friend yesterday evening at dinner about how expensive it is to kennel him and we can't really travel and camp and such until our pets die. :( Now I feel like a monster. :cry: We just lost little Suzie in December - seems like yesterday - and I'm not ready to have him sick too....

BusynMember

Many people camp with their dogs. Do you have an RV? I have even seen tent campers with dogs. To me my dogs will be the best part of camping. Any way to include him?

I would get him i to the vet. Seizures, if it is that, can be controlled.

Dont worry about hijacking the thread. You didnt.

Lil

Many people camp with their dogs. Do you have an RV? I have even seen tent campers with dogs. To me my dogs will be the best part of camping. Any way to include him?

Oh if the weather is okay we do take him, but our camping is 99% SCA medieval camping. That normally isn't a problem, but sometimes events don't allow dogs. For instance when we went to Mississippi in March, they didn't allow dogs, except service dogs - which I'm sure people really abused, but since our dog needs a seeing eye dog, it's not like we could pass him off as a service animal. (Not that we would...that's shameful)

Really though, the biggest problem is he's a Boston and he's very heat and cold sensitive. That's a real issue, especially the heat, with the snub-nosed breeds. He gets overheated and not only is it very bad for him but he gets snappy. Then again, being blind, he's more prone to freaking out a bit anyway. So in very hot weather, like the event in June, we had to kennel him. We couldn't have him in a tent in 100 degree weather for a week - he could have a heat stroke or whatever dogs get. For a weekend, we could manage, but not more than 1- 2 days at most. And he's very cold natured too. The event in Mississippi got to 30 degrees some nights. Jabber and I had sheep skins and wool blankets and managed, but we were COLD. He'd have been miserable, even wearing his little coat. Long and short of it is we really can't take him to a lot of camping events, just because it's not good for him, not to mention we can't take him to the archery field, we can't take him to the classes, etc. and places that do allow dogs will usually have big dogs and he's quite dog-aggressive toward big dogs. He's afraid of them and that of course makes him growl and snap and what have you. Little dogs - smaller than him - he's always been fine with, but now that he's blind...he's gotten skittish. We try, but he's just not a terribly happy little dog out in the world.

If we RV camped, we wouldn't think twice about it.

I'm going to give the vet a call today.