Junebugs

F

flutterbee

I'm bug phobic in a big, big way. Junebugs are the absolute worst. Can't stand them. Totally freak me out. Don't turn on lights when I go outside at night so as not to attract them. Cannot deal with them AT ALL.

And of course tonight I hear that familiar thwacking sound on my windows. I jumped up and closed all the windows. I am taking no chances of one of them getting in. I would have to stay at a hotel.

I know they are harmless and all that jazz. I just. cannot. deal. with. them. One got in my shirt when I was 3 and that was all it took.

I could google this, but then I'd have to read about them and would spend the rest of the night feeling things crawling on me, would have to check under the covers a dozen times before I got in bed, would have to crane my neck around to check each room before entering....totally messed up, I know. This is my bigtime phobia.

So, can someone tell me - very short and sweet, no details needed (or wanted :sheepish:) when these things will be gone for the season? So I know when I can venture outside at night without fear?

TIA

ETA: Isn't it early for them to be out?

Abbey

Spork Queen
Heather, don't know the time frame for them, but I know they were HUGE when I lived in Florida. But, I'd take the Junebugs any day over the LARGE roaches there.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

Did the large, flying roaches (palmetto bugs) in Georgia. Scorpions, too. Notice I don't live there anymore. Everything down there grew bigger - ants, crickets, roaches....ugh.

But I could still deal with them better than junebugs. Or maybe it's because I don't have to deal with them anymore. But, right now I'm worried about junebugs. :rofl:

witzend

For me, it's crickets and moths.

According to what I read, they fly for about 4 weeks. They have a 3 year life cycle. You can kill their larvae if you spread the insect repellent on the lawn three years in a row.

F

flutterbee

witzend said:
According to what I read, they fly for about 4 weeks. They have a 3 year life cycle. You can kill their larvae if you spread the insect repellent on the lawn three years in a row.

:surprise: Good to know. Guess what I'll be doing.....

F

flutterbee

Ohhh...I always loved that terminalogy when I lived there. THEY ARE ROACHES!!! THEY ARE NOT PALMETTO BUGS!!!

Abbey

Abbey, when in Rome..... :bigsmile:

ETA: Did you know that when you cut one of them in half with a steel-toed boot that the front half will WALK OFF!!!!! *shudder*

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey, as far as I'm concerned June bugs are nothing more than huge roaches......although I do know what you mean and I'm glad we don't have them here!

Heather, I'm with you as far as June bugs go. I not only hate them, I loath the things. I can take all sorts of creepy crawlies, I can handle snakes and bats........But let a June bug come near me and I majorly flip out screaming and acting like an idiot. Can't help it.

And reason doesn't work with me either. The literally make my skin crawl. My family thinks it's comical. I most certainly don't.

I won't sit on my porch at night unless my cat Willie is with me. He loves to hunt them and is very skilled at it. If one comes near me he's got it in under 30 secs which is fine by me. lol

I think it's a bit early for them. Heck I haven't even seen a lightening bug yet. But I don't think they leave til fall when it turns cold at night. (I could be wrong)

hugs

Abbey

Spork Queen
On a more serious note (geez...when am I serious), we used to have to wash our car regularly for June Bugs. They leave a nasty stain that wears away the paint on your car. I'm trying to remember, but I believe it was in the summer months that they were horrid. It's not a few...it's thousands.

Abbey

trinityroyal

Eeew! Heather, I'm with you. Creepy crawlies of all sorts drive me to distraction.

Once, many years ago, I came home from an evening out. It had been pouring rain for hours and hours. I parked my car in the garage, which was down at the far end of the back yard. I was about to start along the path to my house, when I noticed that the path was...ick...moving. It was COVERED! in little brown worms, which had been washed up by the rain. I was horrified. It was 2 am so I couldn't call anyone. I stood there in the garage doorway for about 5 minutes, panicking. I was wearing SANDALS, and could not bring myself to walk along that path for love or money.

Eventually I walked down the laneway past all the other houses, around the block and along past the fronts of all the houses until I got to my front door.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Wynter,

June bugs or genus Phyllophaga are scarab-type beatles. Their life cycle is complete in 1 year. If you want fewer June bugs - in August-September treat your lawn for white grubs. You can usually treat with Sevin (no rain, pets, kids) for 2 weeks.

I understand the barf-factor in this one. They are loud, obnoxious and even in the bug world I don't know many people who jump up and say OH I LIKE THEM. Mostly because if you want a nice lawn, beautiful trees - they are NOT helpful.

Another thing about June bugs is moles. If you have scads of June bugs it attracts moles, and voles. People rush out to buy stuff to kill the moles and don't realize without killing the grubs - you aren't going to take care of the total problem.

(puts Raid in a basket because I don't know of any organic cure other than keeping your lawn healthy, aerated, watered, and organically treated to prevent grubs which will in turn prevent beatles) but then again - that's only on YOUR yard. Unless the entire neighborhood treated and kept their lawns pristeen - you're going to be indoors for a while.

F

flutterbee

Thank you for the info. I will definitely be treating the yard come August.

I've seen those little worms (larvae) described. Silly me thought they would become moths.

My mom came up yesterday and we planted flowers in the front. Maybe we unearthed them or stirred them up? Cause it is early for them. I noticed that Abbey and Hydro kept climbing up the screen and then I heard the bugs. There was about 5 of them on the outside of the screen of the window near the lamp. *shudder*

Trinity, I feel your pain. Worms don't bother me at all - other than trying to be careful not to squish them after a rain unearths them. But, I got locked in my garage once for 45 minutes. The kids were asleep and the front door was locked, I didn't have my keys and the only way in was through the garage. Problem was there was a spider the size of a volkswagen next to the door. And he wasn't inclined to move.

Lisa, I know I look comical, too. I scream, I shriek and I run. Then I spend the next 20 minutes at least checking my hair and my clothes. It's awful.

Ok....feeling things crawling on me...moving right along.....

4sumrzn

Don't you get the cicadas too????? THOSE really get on my nerves & freak me out more than the Junebug. ALL bugs are icky!

KTMom91

My nana used to tell me that Junebugs would stick to you if they landed on you. I won't take the dog out after dark when it's "the season" because I'm not sure if that's true, but why take the chance?

The slugs are out since it's been so warm. No more going outside barefooted...I stepped on one and Hubby still reminds me of the hysterical dancing and screaming I was doing to get the slimy feel off my foot.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I LOVE cicadas. They are like the ULTIMATE find!!!! I've been lucky enough to be in the woods with Dude and sat with him while one hatched. Very cool learning experience. And something more amazing (if you like bugs) Cicada killer wasps. OMG they are GIGANTIC. They'd have to be to carry off a bug like that!

Praying mantis or walking sticks - VERY cool bugs.

4sumrzn

Well then Star...you come hang out with difficult child when the Cicadas decide to invade this year. She thought they were her new best firends! LOL! Are you serious? Wasps that kill them?

4sumrzn

Oh, sorry....can't spell. I think I'm too excited about a wasp that kills the big-butt thing! "Praying mantis or walking sticks - VERY cool bugs". I'll agree.....still "icky" though.

F

flutterbee

I really just have issues with anything with more than 4 legs. If they fly, it just makes it worse.

*shudder*