Just as emergency charges hit....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My furnace decides it isn't going to turn on......the thing is only 8 years old. I installed a new filter less than a month ago & the damned thing won't heat my house.

I'm beyond ticked.....I'm darned insulted. It's just one more thing; one more item that shouldn't be happening but is.

The repairmen will be here sometime after 6; by then we'll be heading down in to sub zero temps. How could I buy a house in this god forsaken state with-o a fireplace? What was I thinking?

I think I'm done whining now ~ I'll wait until I see the bill,.

F

flutterbee

Sending good thoughts that it's an inexpensive and easy fix.

(((hugs)))

SRL

Sending good thoughts that it's an inexpensive and easy fix.

(((hugs)))

Ditto!

I'm starting to think everything that's made anymore is just junk. We replaced our 30+ year old furnace a few years ago and they told me the average life span of the new ones is 11 year. I bought a $1700 fridge and they asked if I wanted to get an extended 4 year warranty for an extra $140. I wasn't happy, seeing as how I was replacing one that had been in my kitchen for 33 year. And we won't even talk about my two year old dishwasher that has had 9 service calls worth over $1000 in parts and labor (all under warranty) and isn't working.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Well, the repair guy arrived here around 8 (after a 5 hour wait). As I called before "emergency time" I wasn't charged the add'l $100 for him to have the priviledge to walk into my by then very cold home.

He got my furnace heating again but is coming again this morning to install an inducer motor to the tune of $437. Now this furnace is not yet 7 years old. The repair guy told me last night that this furnace (it cost husband & I an arm & a leg) has done well for getting thru half of it's lifetime. Like SRL, we replaced the 30 plus year old furnace with this one & I'm being told that it's expected lifetime is 14 years. Makes me a bit crazy. We're a throw away society because we've been forced to become one.

Even though my furnace is heating again with-o the new part this winter been too long & too cold to play games. I can't afford frozen pipes or the like.

I'm done with my vent & waiting for the repairman to show up. It's a beautiful day & kt & I would like to get outside & enjoy it.

TerryJ2

It only lasts 14 years ????!!!!!

Well, at least you're warm now.

I guess you're going to have to put aside an extra $500 every cpl yrs for maintenance. Or save up and buy a better furnace, a different brand. That is awful.

Can you buy a space heater for your bedroom in case this happens again?

K

Kjs

How long is your warrantee? We put in a new furnace and after 9 years it would just start blowing cold air. I'Learning Disability (LD) call the guy out every other week. Like you say..it is COLD. I had him out six times from the end of March to mid April when we no longer needed it. Each time he put in a new part.

The following Fall, when it came time to put the furnace on...it blew COLD air.
Called the furnace guy and he replaced a part. Then came again, finally found it was a cracked heat exchanger. Our Warrantee was TEN years. It expired the month before we turned the heat on.

I tried to fight it stating if they would of fixed this problem the previous winter when I called them every week then it would of been under warrantee.

They paid 1/2 of a very pricey bill. Check your warrantee. If it is only 7 or 8 years old maybe this problem is covered.

Like a car..5 year, 10 year, 20 year... If it is a major part I'Learning Disability (LD) look into it. Good Luck.