Just when you think things are getting better

Wiped Out

Staff member
the other shoe drops. Honestly both kids have been making huge strides but I guess summer break is just too much togetherness.

difficult child has been getting extremely agitated lately (at times) mostly with me but also with others. He also has been seeing a new therapist and doesn't like him because therapist is really wanting difficult child to deal with some issues about being stuck on things so difficult child was being rude at the appointment as well.

Today easy child/difficult child was planning on watering the tomato plants and was asking if we had any miracle grow. difficult child told her we did and easy child/difficult child asked him to get it. When he did get it all of a sudden he wanted to water them but easy child/difficult child was already in the mindset so I said she could (either way I lose).

easy child/difficult child wanted to stir the water with the miracle grow so husband told her about a stick she could use. Of course, in the meantime difficult child is getting angrier and angrier (basically he is stuck). He grabs his pocket knife (which I don't like him having-another long story but suffice it to say it won't be available to him anymore) and starts whittling on "the stick". easy child/difficult child blows because she apparently isn't done using it (wanted to use it for the next plant as well). She way overreacts which, of course, causes him to overreact (believe me both kids were in the wrong).

Next thing I know difficult child is posturing at easy child/difficult child with the knife in a threatening way. We told difficult child to take a break-go to his room or the basement, or a walk to cool down. He screams at me to shut up. I'm about done with him telling me to shut up this summer so I decided to take a break and let husband deal with it.

difficult child ended up threatening easy child/difficult child with the knife said he was going to stab her. At one point he told husband he was going to slit his own wrist. difficult child also did a whole lot of swearing and name calling and easy child/difficult child wasn't helping. She finally has cooled down but difficult child is having a hard time letting it go. I believe this has been going on for almost an hour now. difficult child is now using the computer so hopefully he will calm down.

All I can say is ugh! I'm not willing to go through a violent cycle with difficult child again. husband told him we will call the police. difficult child says he should live in an orphanage-until husband pointed out that it was fine with us and told him what it would be like.

I really want to have a peaceful summer. easy child/difficult child isn't working many hours yet because of her new job. difficult child isn't working many hours at all and has aged out of camps around here. Wish they had an adult one for me to run off to. Plus it doesn't help that I am still unable to drive due to my shoulder surgery so I can't even take difficult child out for awhile.

As if all this isn't enough, my sister called to let me know that Mom's social worker called today because she is concerned in the decline in Mom's cognitive ability. The possibility of mom maybe having Altheimers has been brought up but with mom's mental health history it is hard to tell. Anyways lots more going on with that but I don't want this post to go on any longer (sorry it is so long already).

And the day started off so peaceful...

Bunny

Having difficult child threaten PF/difficult child with a knife must have been frightening. I think that the summer break brings on alot of problems because of the lack of structure and the constant "togetherness". At least I know in our house it does.

I'm sorry it was not a good day. Did difficult child calm down? Will he wake up stuck on this issue tomorrow morning, or will he be able to start fresh with the new day? Get some rest. I hope tomorrow is better.

Dixies_fire

I do t even know how I would of taken it, probably not "made things better" either like easy child.

God bless the warrior mom's for we know what the meaning of stress truly is.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
That is exactly the way some situations play out at our house too. It is VERY draining and you are sooo fortunate to have husband to help/take over. I have gotten so used to it now that we school at home also but then again, mine have both come a long way. We don't have a lot of the "changes" that come with summer vacation.

Hope all is better in the morning.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Ladies! He did eventually calm down and I think easy child/difficult child must have been feeling partly responsible because she took care of the kitchen and organized the bathroom last night.

difficult child apologized to husband and to easy child/difficult child on his own with-o being asked to (of course, I received no apology).

Today was much better! easy child/difficult child drove us to the pool (since I still can't drive) and even helped difficult child get on sunscreen and sat with him as they dangled their legs in the pool for awhile.

Tonight as we are just sitting in the living room relaxing difficult child looked over at me and said I looked pretty. Now that is something that rarely happens!

TerryJ2

Ugh! For sure!

I'm glad things calmed down and that difficult child apologized to easy child. Sorry you didn't get an apology. Moms seldom do.

Telling you that you looked pretty may have been his way of apologizing. Sweet. :)

Fingers crossed that he doesn't ramp up again ... maybe this was a lesson?

busywend

Haha! That is his apology! Sorry you all had an incident. You should make a pact that no more meltdowns this summer is the goal!