Kiddo's Draft IEP

H

HaoZi

Okay, she qualified under emotional disability (we already knew that) based on diagnosis's of bipolar affective disorder and atypical and oppositional defiant disorder by the psychiatrist that saw her in the psychiatric hospital for about 4 days, and her former psychiatrist's diagnosis's of anxiety disorder and disruptive behavior disorder. I have no idea where the ADHD diagnosis disappeared to, or if they didn't include it as being irrelevant. Either way, it's basically about her lack of coping skills causing behavior issues.

She is on the high school diploma track with an anticipated graduation in 2019 (I feel old now, thanks). She will participate in testing programs her peers participate in (no surprise there). Due to the fact that experiences extreme anxiety over such testing (perfectionist, tendency to really turn on herself if she scores less than she expects to), she is being given accommodations for testing: additional breaks, extended time, preferential seating, small group setting, and can read aloud to herself. The extended time is to reduce the pressure she puts on herself and therefore reduce her anxiety/frustration level.

Goals include developing self-management skills to handle stress and cope with frustration and anxiety. In addition to her case worker coming in once a week at school for an hour, she will also have 2 others from SpEd come in about 30 min a week each to work with her on this. One is a SpEd teacher that travels to all schools in two counties, and the other one has a social work background. They will help her with the same things, but from two different perspectives to help expand her from her extremely rigid thought patterns.
Other goals the team with work with her on are to solve conflicts with words instead of violence, to learn to see and believe in herself in a positive way beyond just "being smart" (and not being allowed to "rest on her laurels relying on that"), and to contribute to group tasks when prompted.
She is also allowed extra verbal prompts on work, etc.

Included in her goals are a scoring scale to show where she is on each goal - progress reports on her goals will be included with her report card, mailed to me when report cards come out, or I can stop at their office and pick it up (right across the street from us, hence my suggestion that I could pick it up, since not everything that is supposed to come home with her makes it home).

Minutes of the previous meeting where we went over the testing results for about an hour and half look pretty complete to my eye and were included in the draft. Minutes of today's meeting will also be included on the finalized version, which I think I can pick up tomorrow before we go to Kiddo's therapy so I can give her therapist a copy (therapist was able to attend this one, think providence was making sure of that, first was canceled due to snow, second canceled because Kiddo got sick, and therapist couldn't make it to either of those!).

It was openly acknowledged (and I expect will be in the new set of minutes) that though this IEP is a one-year IEP, Kiddo will likely be more of a work-in-progress for a while (I'm paraphrasing, but they don't expect to "fix" her in a year), and that as she ages and expectations change and that medication changes can cause dramatic differences in her (good and bad), that we can tweak this as needed if situations deem it. It was also stated that one of her frustrations is that this is the first year that she's hit an academic roadblock - prior to this she has never been presented with material that she did not "get" immediately, and this causes her frustration followed by shutdown.

State testing started earlier this week, and they deemed it in her best interest to go ahead and implement the testing accommodations for her even though the IEP is not finalized yet and because it's not her fault the previous meetings had to be rescheduled. They had already added in reinforcements for her prior to this and have been tweaking them to suit her better as we go. Looking at the piles of things they've tried in her FBA, I can't complain - they've done a LOT and I can't come up with anything else they could have done in that arena. I can say that the supports they put in place for her already HAVE helped, both at school and at home, and it looks like the new medication combo is helping, too.

Any additional thoughts?

T

TeDo

If you are both happy with the results and the plan, I would say go with it. Even though IEP's are usually 2 or 3 year plans doesn't mean they can't be revised, tweeked, or completely changed any time it seems necessary. Glad everything seems to be going your way. I wish I could say the same thing.

H

HaoZi

Having seen what so many go through with their SDs I feel really lucky even if I didn't get all the extra testing I requested. When I asked Kiddo about her (state standardized) testing she told me that she got to go somewhere else to do it, got extra time, etc etc. I asked her if it helped her anxiety related to it, and she said yes. If it's working I won't argue with it, I know in some ways she's different at school than at home.
Her principal also has a background in SpEd, and I think that's helped as well.

Thanks TeDo, hope your SD "gets it" very soon.

T

TeDo

So do I. We had a 2 1/2 hour IEP meeting that had not even covered half the bases and had to be continued until next Tuesday (even though there is another blizzard heading our way). I am so frustrated with our situation that I am glad when I hear "success" stories. Kudos to you and Kiddo!

T

TeDo

That's what they're saying. Starting Tuesday sometime and going into Wednesday. Predicting around 10 inches of heavy, wet snow because of the warmer temps. I am NOT looking forward to this. We have already received 101 inches so far and March is typically the snowiest month here. Could have freezing rain/sleet first. Will have to keep you posted so you can be prepared.

rlsnights

Sounds to me like you have a good program set up given that it sounds like you live in a rural area with limited resources. Sounds like thank you notes might be in order all around.

Keep us posted. It's good that the team has acknowledged that there is going to be a need for frequent adjustments.

Patricia

H

HaoZi

It's heavily noted in the FBA that a variety of things have been tried with varying degrees of success and that Kiddo isn't constant and every time there's any medication change I let the nurse know (they have reports of how often she went to nurse's office, too). I have expressed many times how grateful I am that this has NOT been the nightmare I've seen so many parents have with these.

LittleDudesMom

Sounds good. Testing accommodations really helped my difficult child in elementary school. He doesn't have any, nor does he require any, at this stage of the game - but he had the small group, additional time, scribe for writing, and read aloud (a couple of years he was in an office with the guidance counselor with a tape recorder running - state mandate for read aloud - and she read him the tests. He loved it because they were finished earlier than everyone else that whole week and they played chess, cards, drew, etc. It was a great set up to have him look at testing in a positive light.

An IEP is not really "good for a year" it is required to be reviewed annually and then the triennial review is where they look to see if current placement is working and perhaps call for retesting.

Sharon

H

HaoZi

Her read aloud thing is that she's allowed to read aloud to herself on the tests, it helps her better understand than reading silently.

cordelia

Thank you for sharing your success! It brought tears as I've longed for my grandson to have parents like you. Going beyond to help your daughter to overcome her obstacles. You will be blessed! I've Begged!!!!! Pleaded!!!! with our daughter to insist tests to be given orally. GS is very smart, but his physical disabilities prevent him. Her answer was "grandson is just too lazy." GS is sooooo overwhelemed and has given up as all he sees is his parents constantly degrading him and allowing his sister to bully him.