Laughed myself silly

mstang67chic

Going Green
Have I mentioned before that I think there is an underground network of strays who have my house marked somehow? I really believe it now!

A guy that husband knows is installing a new central air unit in our house. It's been done over a period of a few days because the guy B is doing it in his off time. He's here today and while I was sitting here reading, I hear a knock on the back door. The knock is followed by a slightly tense voice informing me that there are two dogs in my back yard and would I please come look.

Ooooooook....I'm thinking it's the neighbors little dogs digging under the fence again but when I looked....nope. One is a smallish Springer Spaniel but the other is a behemouth of a German Shepherd. THIS is why B is a wee bit tense. This dog is HUGE! (The gate from the driveway was open so B could go back and forth to his work truck and apparently the two dogs just trotted right in the yard) I go out to see the dogs and B is continuing to work but is muttering the entire time. "NO sudden moves, I'm going to ignore this dog"...etc.

Both dogs have collars, both came to me fine and didn't really bother with the fist I held out for them to smell. They were just checking things out and getting some petting from me. At one point they went back out of the yard when I went to the neighbors to see if he recognized them but his kids came out too and the dogs just followed them around.

Fortunately the spaniel had a tag from Animal control with a phone number so we called and they were able to get ahold of the owners. Turns out (and this cracked me up too) the people used to live in town but moved to the country. The dogs HATE living in the country. No other kids to play with besides their "own". So, now and then, they take off and come back into town. When the owners came to get them, the spaniel went right to them. The moose dog however, got that "Oh Carp I'm busted" look on his face and eventually slinked his way over. Seeing a 95lb dog slink is one of life's greatest entertainments.

This entire time though, B's eyes were huge and I couldn't maintain. I lost it and laughed myself silly at him. I can understand his unease....this really was a huge dog but one look told you he was a big 'ol baby.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I agree with Abbey. lol Just accept it. Took me a while, but Nichole and I both have. I just hope I can always find homes/owners for the ones who show up.

2 more cats this week. I've lost count now. And feeding them is getting expensive. But we have one lil guy/gal (haven't gotten close enough to know) who looks exactly like our Willie kitty and is about the age (maybe a bit younger) when we took Bruce in, so still a kitten, guessing about 3-4 mos. Scrawny lil thing. Wants to be friendly but is scared outta his/her mind. I take special pains to make sure this one gets something to eat, even shooing the other cats until he gets a chance cuz they're not nice to him/her.

Had to LOL at the dogs going to town to visit. Too cute. One year we found a stray that had pups. (rather obvious) We checked the paper for days and finally there was an ad that sounded like her. We called......sure enough. Couple came to get her were the grandparents of the kids who owned her. Grandpa had tried to be nice and take her out to the reserve we have near here to give her a break from her pups and let her run a bit. Next thing he knew she was gone. She'd never done such a thing before. He searched for 3 days and never found her. She'd been gone over a week by the time we'd found her. Her kids were thrilled to have her home. Pups were weaned by then but I'm sure they were happy to see Momma too.

Funny thing was, she'd never been to the reserve before. Like I said, she'd never taken off like that. And the Grandpa was amazed she'd been able to find her way back into town without being hurt. Quite a distance.

Glad today's strays have a loving home. Wonder how long it will take them to come visit you again. ;)

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Is it animal magnetism? They can sense a good loving environment. Funny about your friend though. Some folks just aren't big dog people. Glad there family came to get them.

beth

tiredmommy

I understand... I'm the cat lady of my town. I've had them climb on my screens and meow to get my attention. They've also tried to follow me into the house on occasion.

Too funny about that big boy slinking away. ;)

KTMom91

Nature Boy is the cat magnet...and I wish he'd stop it...I said no more livestock BEFORE the three little kittens moved in. Oh, well...

Star*

call 911........call 911
NO 'YORK is where I'd rather stay

I get allergic SMELLING HAY!

OMG
:tongue:
(You really do have Green Acres)