Learning about Sensory Issues

neednewtechnique

Wow, so as most of you know, I am back in college now, working towards a degree in Psychology. Once I am finished with my bachelors, will be moving on to grad school and getting my PsyD in Clinical Psychology.

Anyway, I have a very interesting class this semester, and just in time for summer and the new wardrobe and weather changes, we take an in-depth look at sensory issues....

I swear, I have learned about it from difficult child's psychiatrist in the past, but after this recent chapter, I have a much better understanding of it, and I am finding out that it involves so much more than just the feel of things on their skin.

We talked about certain lighting that can set them off because of sensitive eyes, certain smells that can set them off, certain levels of sound that can set them off, and all sorts of neat things.

I guess I don't really have much point, other than to express my wonder at how many different things are involved that can set our difficult child's off sometimes!!!!! I was just really shocked!!!

Futurama91

This is a subject that I am fascinated with. (I own a really good book about it, but I leant it to a friend and I can't remember what it's called. It's the only thing that pops up if you try to search for sensory issues at Amazon.com.).

I strongly suspect that I have Aspergers syndrome. Even if I don't, I definitely do have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (TLE), which can have several symptoms in common. I have a 10-yr-old who almost certainly has AS or Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. We are both extrememly sensitive to light, sound, taste, our clothes, crowds. People complain that my house is dark, but we feel overwhelmed and stressed by certain light. We both have photosensitive seizures, so we can't be around florescent lighting, for one thing. I can have seizures triggered by certain smells.

I get the feeling that people think that we're eccentric, but we can't help it. We really can't change.

I feel as if I'm rambling on, but it's just because I get excited about this subject.

It is fascinating.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have a sister in law, who is very likely BiPolar (BP) 'tho' not on the usual BiPolar (BP) medications (major, major mood swings, rager, uber-compulsive shopper), and she practically has her house closed up like a cave 24/7/365 because her eyes are so sensitive to light. Vertical blinds are ALWAYS drawn closed over EVERY window in the house, and she NEVER turns lights on during the day. Even if it's a cloudy, rainy day. Sometimes I swear I think I see fangs on her...

Sheila

Sensory issues can have a profound impact on individuals.

It's also a difficult disorder for those unfamiliar with it to understand. I've always liked the similuation at http://gigli.tripod.com/therapies/parents-role.htm .

I can't imagine a case of untreated SI that doesn't interfere with a child's education. If the child is distracted and annoyed by sounds, sights, movement (or lack of), touch, smells and tastes (among other sensations) how could these irritants not interfere with his/her education???? Is this possible?

Try this: Turn on the radio, but don't tune it. Leave it on static and fuzz. Turn it up. Ask someone to turn the lights on and off, at will. Strap yourself into a broken chair that is missing a leg and use a table that is off balance - you know the ones in restaurants that makes us all so mad. Now, put on some scratchy lace in place of a comfy T-shirt, put your pants on backwards and wear shoes one size too small. Pour a bowl of grated parmesan cheese, open a can of sardines and bring the cat box to the table. Now, snack on your least favorite food; the one you NEVER eat because it comes with a gag reflex. With all this in place, pick up a new book and learn something new! How can anyone claim that SI problems don't interfere with education??

The Out-of-Sync Child by Kranowitz is a good resource.

Hope your studies are going well.