Leftover London Broil ideas anyone?

DDD

I grilled a London Broil that was BIG a week or two ago and it came out great (I love medium rare!) but now I need to use it in a different way. Because of the grilling I'm hesitant to use it for stew or whatever.
Any ideas? Maybe it's a "non issue", lol, but I wonder if the charring won't dominate the other ingredients included. DDD

Malika

What, oh what, is a London Broil? To me, this signifies a punch-up in a London pub. :) Sorry, that doesn't help you with your quest for ideas...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Actually, the charring won't overwhelm other flavors, but add to them! Stew is wonderful. Stir fry, too! Or, cut it into small pieces and make a pot pie...

jal

Use it in a wrap. I do london broil and then slice it and put it on Ciabatta rolls with horseradish mayo, red onion, lettuce tomato and cheese (smoked mozz, or Havarti dill) for dinner sometimes. Very good.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stew. Soup. Make up some gravy with some beef broth and serve over rice........

The broiling only means you'll need broth for the soup and stew.

donna723

I had some leftover beef last week ... I sliced it thin, mixed it with broccoli and some Asian sauce and served it over rice. Really good! Or a lot of times if I have a small amount of leftover beef or pork roast, I slice it very thin and put BBQ sauce over it for sandwiches.

LittleDudesMom

I would say fajitas would be great! You could also make some swiss steak (whenever I cook beef, I use the good stuff since I don't eat it very often, I don't use cubed steak for swiss steak). I use leftover grilled steak to make a "santa fe" style salad the next day - nice crisp greens, some black beans, some corn, chopped tomato, chopped purple onion, chopped jalapenos, some cilantro if you have it, and a generous squeeze of lime juice mixed with a tad bit of olive oil - Yum - I getting hungry...

Sharon

DDD

This thing was HUGE, people, that's why there are leftover enough for two more meals. Just had to buy it because it was buy one get one free. :)

I will use some of your ideas....some are things I would never have thought of doing and have never prepared. Should be challenging and a chance to "mix it up" as, like most, I tend to fix familiar recipes. No matter what I serve, husband and difficult child#1 always say "that was great"...even when it wasn't. LOL DDD

everywoman

Okay--this is my favorite for leftover steak----saute 1 onion, add 1 block of cream cheese, shredded provolone, 1/4 cup of Parmesan, and steak, cooked until cheese is melted. Serve on sub rolls----yummy! I also bake in oven covered with more provolone and serve with crackers for a dip.

InsaneCdn

(Malika, I didn't know either...Canadian, raised by Brits, therefore hadn't a clue)

Now, there is another interesting English language situation...

A Brit doesn't know what a London Broil is.
And a Frenchman doesn't know what a French Fry is (well, they might now, but it sure isn't what THEY call it)
And so on...

DDD

I stir fry often although usually with chicken. I'm sure it will work well with the LB. Covering it with cheese?...the mere thought makes my mouth water...but I'll have to talk myself into bringing cheese back into the house. I LOVE beef and I LOVE cheese. Since the high cholesterol I haven't been indulging much. This may be an exception, lol. Without any exaggeration I could eat the whole LB and a pound of cheese in one happy sitting. Sigh! DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Fajitas are a super easy option. Just slice the LB into thin strips. Get a couple of bell peppers, esp great if one is red, and an onion, and slice those into long thin strips. I usually microwave these for a minute or two on high. You can then add any seasoning you like, maybe one of those packs of fajita seasoning or you can just skip it and bring the seasoning in through other things. Have some spanish/mexican rice on hand - if nothing else use the liquid from a can of rotel as part of the liquid for your rice, and prepare the rice normally. Save the rotel chunks because you will use them. Sour cream, guacamole (you can just mash up an avocado with some chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano and lemon juice if you don't want to buy guacamole), some shredded cheese, and salsa or pico de gallo (sp?) along wth flour tortillas round things out. Mix the rotel (sans liquid) with salsa, or if you do it ahead you can mix it with the beef strips to help flavor them). My crew likes cold fajitas, so they would happily eat with-o the next step, but I like it hot.

Heat a cast iron skillet over high head. You can use a reg one if you don't have cast iron. When it is VERY hot, pour in some oil just to lightly cover the bottom, and slide the strips of meat, peppers and onion onto the skillet. The purpose is to caramelize them and heat them through - FAST. Stir them around wth a spatula for maybe a minute or two, and when they are just looking cooked, take them off and serve them. The peppers may be a bit brown on the edges, but not burnt. the onions should be soft and sweet, and the beef should be warm and flavorful. If you mixed the beef with rotel, take it out of the rotel before putting in the pan. As the beef is already cooked, add the rotel to another meal or to your salsa.

Enjoy!!! It sounds like a lot, but the prep goes really fast. If you have a good mexican restaurant nearby, ask to buy a couple dozen flour tortillas. Homemade is WAY better than the cardboard sold as tortillas at the grocery. We used to get them at Don Pablos but there are none in our area any more.