Life lesson

O

OTE

My son's Special Education teacher (who has a serious Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) child of her own) sent this to me... I know we say this all the time but do a quick review of your life today. Are you really living this?

Subject: Life Lesson
>
>
> When things in your life seem almost too much to handle; when 24 hours in a day are not enough; remember the mayonnaise jar and 2 cups of coffee.
>
> A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly, he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls.
>
> He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.
>
> The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls.
> He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.
>
> The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar.
>
> Of course, the sand filled up everything else.
>
> He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous "yes."
>
> The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar, effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.
>
> "Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.
> The golf balls are the important things - God, family, children, health, friends, and favorite passions -- things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.
>
> The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, house, and car.
>
> The sand is everything else -- the small stuff.
>
> "If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles or the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you.
>
> So...Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness.
>
> Play With your children. Take time to get medical checkups.
>
> Take your partner out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and fix the disposal. "Take care of the golf balls first -- things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
>
> One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented. The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."
>
> Please share this with someone you care about. I JUST DID.

ScentofCedar

Thanks, OTE.

Have you been off the Board for awhile? It seems I haven't seen your posts or responses, lately.

I am glad you are back.

Barbara

O

OTE

Thanks Barbara. You're right that I've been hibernating. My difficult child is out of control again. I don't even know what to say to post. Nothing I can really do. Just waiting for him to get himself arrested again. On the plus side I signed off on my lawsuit vs my former employer so it "has been resolved" (all I'm allowed to say). But there will be car repairs, car back on the road and paid off, condo improvements and wardrobe improvements for all in our future. So there will be one of my two most significant stresses relieved for some months anyway. Thanks for asking.

rejectedmom

OTE, I am sorry to hear that your difficult child is still out of control. I am glad that some of the stressors in your life are being removed and/or resolved. So many of us just want peace in our lives but are unable to obtain it due to life circumstances. I hope you can grab a little piece of it here and there. Take care of you. -RM

ScentofCedar

Well, that is one thing resolved successfully, OTE.

Small steps.

One day, you turn around.

And you aren't where you were, any more.

Barbara

DDD

Boy that settlement has taken a long time, OTE. Glad it is
out of the way and hoping difficult child doesn't realize there are any
assets available anywhere. Sorry he is back on the downward
slope. Sending hugs. DDD

O

OTE

Thanks guys. Yes, I often turn around and wonder what happened to my life. But then, I often turn around and can't remember why. LOL. That memory slippage thing gets to me some days. LOL

difficult child has apparently found a woman to support him in exchange for his companionship/ services. Hasn't been home in 5 nights now. He won't give me any details because he knows I'll have the cops there investigating. All he'll say is that she's older, has 2 jobs, a car, an apt... all the things he needs. Oh, and presumably pot because he admits to smoking multiple times a day. Says he went to school 3 out of 5 days last week. And how did I talk to him? Some days he just shows up to take a shower and change his clothes.

On the plus side I've let it go. Only issue is that he's 17 and CPS/ law will hold me responsible for whatever he does. When he goes to court later this month on the possession/ resisting arrest charges of a couple of weeks ago I'm going to file the undiciplined petition to take away my legal liabilities.

Yes, DDD, the lawsuit took over 4 yrs. Judge said mine was the oldest case in the Fed court system in that District! LOL. She went on and on about how happy she was personally to get it off the docket (when a half dozen judges before her couldn't). LOL.

difficult child knows about the money but he isn't likely to see a cent of it. There's only a couple hundred dollars in his name which I'll spend this coming Xmas, 2 weeks before he turns 18. LOL. I can't have cash or even change on me again. He insisted to me this week that he's not selling anymore. Never seems short of cash so I'm guessing this woman is giving him cash. Says she's going to get him a job... oh yea, that'll turn him around. LOL Want to make bets on how long it will be till she kicks him out? And just for a laugh, says he sleeps on the couch in the living room. ROFLMAO. Must be in statutory rape area. LOL