Long shot....

Star*

call 911........call 911
I purchased a vinyl cutter Sunday. (Crazy I know)

But I'm artsymcSmartsy and I thought after a smidge of research I could make a little side 'chaching' out of this machine.

Now comes the needy-whiney part. Does anyone here care or know, or have - the wherewithall - to talk to me about software, resources, drivers? I'm clueless. I'm also from the plug and play era that says - "Just hook a to b and start doing things.

It's like a GIGANTIC 34" cricut. I'm excited, and the company that makes them got wiped off the map by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. So that's not going to help. I've gotten 324 bits of advice from sign shops here - ALL telling me bad things - because everyone assumes I'm going to OVERLORD the sing world in a day. (OMG are you serious does anyone help anyone anymore). Swear -

Just figured this family has never led me astray - thought I'd start here. I'm looking for Flexi8, or something like that cheap. $189 - $499 for Windows version of sign cutting software is not cheap.

I tried a free version of Sun -something on the internet but my computer said it's virus inflicted.....and I have great belief it is infested so that you crash and burn like the sign company advice around here. Sigh.....

Thanks in advance - especially if you even understand what I'm asking.

It's a Seiki SK870T Vinyl Cutter 34" and it came with NOTHING but the machine.
Very cool, but not helpful without a users guide or how to - I have a cable (not usb) but other than that? Nada - and it can make stickers, signs, very cool things.
I can do graphic arts....I'm just not savy....hookup girl - savy?

susiestar

Roll With It
I am assuming this is to make vinyl signs for shops, that type of thing. We have a friend who used to have a business doing this, but partnered with his wife's family and they ran him out of business. If I can find his number I will ask him. Just be careful with this business. I also have a cousin that I don't talk to who had a business doing this. He and hsi wife worked for a business that made signs and then wen t out on their own because the family head became an alcoholic and started treating them all like doo doo and took the $$ they paid for health insurance and used it to fuel his benders instead. His wife's cousin got her hooked on cocaine about 5 yrs into the business and she ran them into bankruptcy not making house, bill or business payments. They loved the business and did well until then. Build your dream home and have new cars every 5 yrs well.

If husband knows any of the software I will let you know. Otherwise I will TRY to get in touch with our friend here who had the business. From experience the cousin would only recommend the worst stuff so calling him is a waste of time.

I hoep you do well and have a blast with this. The people who have done this professionally have all loved it. One thing our friends did that was SUPER popular was to pay for the rights to make and sell the local university team image (OK State Cowboy's mascot, Pistol Pete and the OSU logo) and they did christmas ornaments and varying sizes of yard signs of the logo and mascot. Paying for those rights more than paid off for them.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I hand cut my vinyl stickers. Even if your machine doesn't work, I'm still jealous.

Wish I could help. :-(

everywoman

I'm going to copy and paste your message and forward to the graphics teacher at school. I'll let you know if I hear back.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Star--

I don't mean to rain on your parade here....but I don't think you will find a substitute for the software unless you can convince somebody to let you download a copy of theirs.

And you make need to set up a "home office network" allowing you to connect this machine to your computer through a router.

And depending upon what you have on that computer, you may need to upgrade the memory. These types of graphics programs tend to be memory-intensive. You probably need at least 4 gb to run it properly without hanging up.

rlsnights

At least 4 GB. I just bought a new system with a separate graphics card and 8 GB RAM and it still doesn't run the way I'd like cause I just didn't have the $$ for the high end performance machines.

Depending on how old your current system is you may be able to add a 1TB external drive to help with the memory load but you will almost certainly need a serious upgrade in your graphics card unless you already have a really good separate card. And you will need a fast system or it will freeze up on you even if there's pretty good memory available.

Are you using a Mac or a easy child?

And I also doubt you will be able to work around the need to buy new software and probably some new hardware like Daisy says.

P

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Travis is looking...............he can find anything. lol While I made no sense out of you post whatsoever..........he goes.......Oh, ok. ugh lol

flutterby

Fly away!
Starbie, I'm not stoopit (or so they tell me) and you're not crazy (or so I'm told), but I have no idea what you just said. And I read it 5 times.

But, I did see that you're asking for advice and I can do that.

Don't take any wooden nickles.
Don't leave your windows down in the rain.
Always look before you leap.
Look both ways before crossing.
Never carry a cat by its tail.

If you need more, let me know. I'm here all night.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star.........Travis read your post. Like I said, I couldn't make head nor tails of what you said. lol

He says what you bought......I'm guessing the program you're wanting for it is a one serial number per customer deal. (??) He can't find any downloads that won't require registration and a serial number to get the software.

Ok. That message passed on..........and while I am also not stupid.......I only understood part of what he said back. lol Except I think he was looking for the specific program for that product........not sure if others are compatible or not.......guess none popped up during his search.

KTMom91

Hubby says to do a Google search and see if the company has any offices in America to get software and drivers for your machine.

Don't know if that helps...

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Googled machine name and found flexstar 8.5, which I then googled and found http://www.usbssoft.com/rapidshare/Flexistar+8.5+easy child.html which looks like they have downloads available, but don't know how trusted or if you have to pay, I didn't venture further since I didn't want to download.......also don't know your computer capabilities..... good luck...... sometimes good deals can lead to $$, so maybe the good deal is to resell this puppy and make your money there.......

Star*

call 911........call 911
I had a new computer built by a friend who owns a shop - last year after lightning strike (friend is genius geeky guy) I have Windows 7 and a TB of memory....I think. At least I remember discussing that. Or maybe we decided for the money I went one step under that. Drat - have to find out. I do know I remember telling him I wanted to have enough memory to put 1/2 a million pictures in memory with Windows and NOT run slow with a photo edit program - so he went on that premise to build.

OMW - flutter - ROFL never never hold a cat by it's tail. OKAY gooooood advice. GREAT actually - WILL.NOT.ATTEMPT.

I will take parts of today and check out all the advice I got from everyone and see what is up. I am NOT going to go into big business I am an engraver by nature, and have 1/2 a machine here. I got it when our old shop went computer - they of course turned 2 manual machines into one and gave me the left overs sans parts but I wanted it anyway. (think hoarder) omw - but if I ever get the vice part for it? I have a new machine. I can engrave and I've been doing it 30 years. So that I can make money at - This was just a thought because I love artsy things - and Shari? I'll help - really - if I ever get it working.

I mean - (think positive) WHEN i get it working.

Thank you everyone.

rlsnights

sounds like you have the hardware you need in your computer. I'm jealous actually. But the software and addl hardware is the sticking point.

Do you have anything like Freecycle where you live? Here you can posted wanted posts that go out to thousands of people asking for stuff you need that folks are willing to give away. I have seen an amazing variety of things freecycled including highly technical/specialized hardware and occasionally software. So you might check that out as a possible resource especially if you are able/willing to travel a ways and can post on a major city Freecycle site.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I had someone give me an old Corel program, but I swear I am not quite brilliant enough to run it. It's an older Corel version....so I haven't down loaded it into this machine, and I would probably have to go get a beefier graphics card, IF I was doing more involved things than stencils et al. (not at the moment) thinking more like letters, and wall murals simple, simple. Maybe MAYBE some T shirt designs for a local charity (dog/cat) thing. (much later) but....

At this point the Seiki place has a temp web site up that says DUE TO THE EARTHQUAKE/TSUNAMI --and according to other Seiki owners? Even when they are up and running? They aren't much help. Broken English and my Japanese is NON-existant. Even if it were existant? My vinyl cutter is too - so I'm square one, again.

Sounds like I'll just have to save my pennies and buy some software after I figure out which is best. OR just sell this thing and get out of it all together.

Still - got some sound advice about cats. lol.

flutterby

Fly away!
Yeah, they really don't like it.

I don't like it when they have all their claws and fall into the shower while I'm using it. I'm going to have scars. I also don't like it when they fall on my head

I have special cats.