Map & Directions On the Internet?

DDD

I've always used Mapquest but this time it's not giving me what I want. The directions to our event shows using a route that goes thru an other event location. I want a map of the alternate route...which does exist!

Anybody use a different source? DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think there are options for avoiding things like toll roads and freeways. And you can also zoom in and drag/drop the purple route line to take different roads... You may have to play with it a bit. What about google maps? Does it have a routing function?

Good luck!

Kathy813

Staff member
Go to www.yahoo.com and then maps and try their directions. Sometimes they give different routes than mapquest.

You can also go to google, maps, get directions.

~Kathy

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Most of the map sites have great maps and lousy directions. They SHOULD sinc up but somehow....eh. I use the maps and disregard the directions. One of them...I THINK mapquest, will let you adjust the map. You can click and drag the route shown and move it to a different street/road. For example, if they have you going through town, you can move it to a bypass.

KTMom91

Can you borrow a GPS from someone? They recalculate your route, for shortest distance, fastest time, avoiding things, etc.

donna723

Mapquest always ends up making me mad! For one thing, it always insists that my street address doesn't exist! And then WHY does it think it needs to give you instructions on how to get out of your own neighborhood? I think I have that down by now! And sometimes their directions are wrong too!

I actually have used Google Earth sometimes to find my way somewhere. You can see the "big picture" that way and it's good for zero-ing in on a particular address because you can see landmarks like shopping centers, schools, etc. Google Earth is wrong sometimes too though. I can see my daughter's house in South Carolina, can even see their cars in the driveway and the trees in their back yard! But it has the street numbers wrong. It shows their street number as being the house on the corner when it's really in the middle of the block.

DDD

Thanks so much. Yahoo shows the "missing" street's name and routed the drive exactly as I need it.

Cross your fingers that our Big Canoe Challenge turns into a huge success. Thank heavens it is a once a year event! My husband has been out of town all week so I'm trapped running the store and trying to "put out event fires".That, combined with the onset of a bug, and having twenty one family members coming in Thursday and Friday thru Sunday has resulted in one tired old lady!

I appreciate your help, as always. DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I recently figured out that you CAN tweak Mapquest directions.

Okay, so you enter your direction info and when the listed directions come up, you can go to EACH specific turn/street/route, etc., and click on a button to eliminate that particular turn/street/route and then mapquest will recalculate the directions using an alternative route.

It really is one of the better search engines out there for directions, once you learn how to tweak it to your specific needs.

Hope this helps.