Men.....s'splain please

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - we have a new foster-rescue. She's a pit mix that is adorable. Except she thinks the toilet is a water bowl. Nah.

So I SHUT the bathroom door.

This morning DF walks down the hall and knocks. I'm in the closet getting dressed and I yelled out - It's open!! He came out and said "Why was the door shut?" I explained about Little Miss Potty Mouth. So he says "Well why didn't you just shut the LID? (Grump) Walks off. :ashamed:

Then I'm getting some food and dog stuff ready for someone I know that has nothing currently and got in the freezer - the lid is up - and I have two hands full, junk under my arms, stuff hanging off my fingers....and I left the lid open. I got the back door open, car door open, and put the stuff in the car. I came back, shut the door, and as I'm walking across the floor to go shut the freezer lid he says (sitting there watching) "Why is the freezer lid up?" So I said "Because I thought it was cheaper than the air conditioner." :ashamed:

Then I got called a Smart@.. and I said - IF I am a Smarty - then you are crawling around on the sandy beaches with one hand bigger than the other looking for a rock with telescoping eyes .......CRAB.

What was the big deal? BUT Before I left - I shut the commode lid AND shut the door.....sheesh.

Three hours later he calls me as if nothing happened....:tongue: - Men.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - no joke.

It is a rule in my house - put the seat and lid down when you're done. Simple, it makes the same amount of work for everyone, the cats and dog stay out of it and it looks nicer.

Oh, and I don't fall in at 2 AM. I don't turn on the light then.

The seat does not seem to be a problem. The LID does!!!

Also, Onyxx closes the bathroom door - but not all the way - and not all the time. So at 2 AM, I smack my nose. So I COULD turn on the light, because I am already awake!

Mattsmom277

I think it all stems from mens alternate reality regarding bathroom habits (and skills - yes SKILLS - they should teach Male Bathroom Habits 101!).

Next time the new rescue licks him on his face (preferably his mouth) I'd laugh and tell him Potty Mouth was just finished drinking a refreshing spritzer from the PortaPotty! Oops, sorry.

susiestar

Roll With It
Only once did husband ever leave the seat up. I was about 8 months pregnant, and up every half hour to use the bathroom. I was groggy and didn't realize the seat was up until I actually sat down. Then I had to shriek but I couldn't heave myself out of the potty.

Ever since that day husband has never forgotten to put the seat down.

You can go to Lowe's or Home Despot and get a little gizmo that you put on any door you want to close automatically. it is a small thing that the hinge pin goes through and then you adjust it so it closes the door.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have to confess. I have a huge German Shepherd who drinks out of the john. He can raise the lid and seat himself.

I tried leaving the door closed but that didn't work because the cat's food is on the counter by the sink, plus the danged dog figured out how to open the bathroom door.

While I don't pee in pets' water dishes as a usual thing, the best I can do is to clean the "facility" after use just I would wash out a water dish.

The funny thing is that my cat stretches waaaaay up to drink out of the dog's water dish which is up on a stand.

I use dilute bleach to clean the toilet and I flush several times to rinse. It's not environmentally sound, but in seven years I have tried everything including those "pet fountains" and he prefers this sort of "water dish".

husband had an "issue" with the seat, but after having his first hip replacement, HE fell in one night, right into a toilet he'd left the seat up on earlier.

I had to haul him back out of the toilet and back onto his feet. That was the LAST time he left the seat up.

Now, if I could just trained the dratted DOG to put the seat back down.

DammitJanet

This is exactly why I have a mens room and a womens room in my house! My bathroom is only to be used for women or the occasional male who has to potty sitting down. All others must use the other restroom. I dont want splashes or raised seats. I also dont want the lid down or I wont realize it is down in the middle of the night and get confused and not be able to get up quickly enough!

Cant help you with the freezer lid being open. I have a hard enough time just getting to the top of my freezer because of all the laundry that is stacked on top of it.

KTMom91

I don't have an answer for you, Star. Ever since my second knee surgery last year, we've had a raised toilet seat. Not the way Hubby would raise it, but one that I can actually use without having someone pull me up. None of the interior doors close completely in my vintage house, bathroom door included. Fortunately, Buddy is not fond of the bathroom, though the toy panthers are finding it fascinating. Imagine being half awake, standing in the shower, and having a black cat poke his head in and stare at you...unnerving, to say the least.

Can't help you with the freezer thing, either. No room to have one. But I DO have an answer for your DF...better a SMART@ than a DUMB@.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Imagine being half awake, standing in the shower, and having a black cat poke his head in and stare at you...unnerving, to say the least.
Err... Squirrel and Weasel do this on a daily basis. It was bad when Squirrel used to jump in. I get clear liners, so they're easy to wash or replace, and then a fabric curtain - they get between them and stare at you. Or meow. Or paw at the water that hits the curtain. You get used to it after a few years... (And Weasel is 15, been doing this since kittenhood...)