Met with SpEd Director today.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I sat outside and waited on her.

We met for over 2 hours. 75% of it or more was discussing difficult child directly; the other time was discussing either her personal experience (her father was bi-polar) or my own experiences with difficult child 1 and wee difficult child.

She is going to work with SpEd teacher to remove so-so para from the equation, at least on a trial basis.

She was interested to know that my brother and I have both successfully "schooled" difficult child while he was on suspensions without issue. And that I have had no trouble with difficult child in school during "specials".

The district consultant started on the FBA today. And wee difficult child had a really good day. Go figure.

Anyway, the meeting with director went well. We'll see where it goes from here.

svengandhi

Things really turned about for us when a caring and compassionate sped director came on board. She helped my 9th grader become a sped success story - he is now in honors classes, will be doing AP and Intel research next year. She removed him from the clutches of a math teacher who physically assaulted him and, worse, "forgot" to give him the permission form to sign up for accelerated math, she switched him from a resource room teacher who claimed that he stabbed her with a pencil when witnesses said that he had politely asked her to please back away from him and he just moved his hand while holding a pencil, she took him out of the jurisdiction of an incompetent psychologist who he ran rings around intellectually and she arranged for an FBA to be performed by a truly neutral evaluator and then she insisted that his suggestions be adapted.

We were SO lucky to have encountered her. She is on my short list of SD personnel who are being invited to my son's Eagle Scout ceremony.

I hope that you have as good an experience as we did.

helpangel

So glad that they are finally trying to find answers instead of being stuck in punishment mode; I'm in similar battle and just hope mine goes this well.

susiestar

Roll With It
WOW!! I really help she can implement some changes. Be SURE you create waves every time you see them being inappropriate with your son. These paras remind me of a couple of nuns I had the misery to be under the thumb of in elem school. They are all about punishment and power - your punishment and their power!

Be SURE you let weegfg know how special I think he is. I cried when I read what they did to him, and how he wanted to apologize to you and they wouldn't let him. Talk about teaching BAD social skills - these ladies are their own "What Never To Do" show! Maybe they need some of the old Highlights magazines with the "Goofus and Gallant" cartoons highlighted for them!

Tell wee difficult child that he is NEVER all alone unless he wants to be. If he is in that room and is lonely and/or scared, he can just think of me and I will be right there with him! No matter what! That is what Aunties are for.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, it's a step in the right direction. I sure hope they end up giving him what he needs to succeed!