Minor vent...well, at least not a major one

DDD

As I have whined this year money is tight. A few months ago I encouraged difficult child#1 to try going to a gym and getting in better shape. My rationale was primarily for him to have someplace to go other than his "Cheers" hangout and hoped he would meet some healthy people. The gym had a $19.95 special and they are open 24/7 with members having a key. Seemed like a winner thought.

Well...he had a gout flareup and also didn't embrace the concept anyway. On my credit card the charge went up to over $30 a month so I insisted he go cancel his membership. Good Grief! Turns out he signed (in three places, no less) a two year contract that is not cancelable. Sometimes I forget that he has the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Bummer!

So...the only concession the Manager would make is that he can "transfer" "his membership" (my credit card, of course) to me. Whine...I do not want to go to the gym even though I'm sure it would help me.
End of whine. DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I do not exercise. I don't even run when chased.

That said... A few years back, I went ahead & did a year's membership at Curves. First 3 months, all was well. And then... No changes, in fact I started to gain weight AND inches. You see, all that exercise made me HUNGRY.

I just couldn't keep it up. I've never been much more than a bookworm, anyway...

So. GO DO IT, and when you falter, think of me... I'm reasonably small, but starting to get a tad chubby...

InsaneCdn

Do they have a greyhound track there? the one where people get to pretend to be the greyhound, and they let you put a name on the "rabbit"? Then you could go chase his tail around the course every time you get mad at him.

Nancy

Oh dear. I don't like those gym contracts. I would rather pay month-to-month, even if it was higher than if you signed a contract. We are building a YMCA in our community that should be finished next year. I am hopign they have some fitness classes for the "senior crowd." I think the membership is fairly reasonable. A swim class for arthritis would be nice too.

Nancy

S

Signorina

Oh hell to the no... no one BUT you can initial a contract to bill your credit card.

Send a letter to the health club stating you did not authorize the charges or the extension of the initial contract and you WILL NOT be responsible for them. Revoke their permission to bill you for the charges FROM THE DATE OF THE INITIAL CHARGE. CC your credit card company, the health club corp office (if it is a chain), your state's attorney/dept of consumer protection.

Call your cc company & dispute all the charges + deauthorize the future charges.

Call the state's atty and play scammed citizen -if you are a senior-throw that in for good measure.

Go down fighting-$30 a month is a dinner out or 2 movie dates or a few bottles of wine!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Signorina may be right. I'd go her route before visiting the gym and using the membership.

That said, a gym and exercise can be an awesome stress reducer. And YOU can meet new people. lol

Hugs

DDD

I've decided to take a week to think about it. Maybe...just maybe...I can psychiatric myself into doing it. I did Curves around five years ago and really benefited...then they moved and I stopped going. I have lost weight this year and look/feel better for it. Exercise would enhance my health. LOL I'm trying to get psyched. I did authorize him to use my card...duh!...just forgot that he doesn't always think straight.

Nancy, we have a Y that is great. There is a program called either "silver sneakers" or "golden sneakers" that is geared to maturing women. There is a pool that can be used recreationally or with special water aerobics. With the osteoporosis issue I "think" that exercise is highly recommended. It would be great to have a workout friend but my only peer friend lives too far away. Maybe I'll meet someone I like...IF I get psyched and follow through. DDD

InsaneCdn

DDD - just a heads-up... swimming is fantastic exercise, and doesn't stress damaged joints like most exercise... but is NOT "weight bearing" - so, no benefit for building bone mass.

I use swimming for my cardio, because its joint-safe to push it there. Weight room, low-weight-high-rep exercise for bone-building.

DDD

I think that's one of my hesitancies. Even though I am a lifelong Floridian...I'm not a swimmer (know how but don't enjoy it). My bone density results showed 30% increase in my upper body and 30% loss in the lower body...evidently mainly the hips. I don't want to do anything that might cause harm and the only machine I saw that I'm sure I'd be comfortable with is the treadmill. Since everyone says that walking is good I'm thinking of that as an alternative to taking walks which I always intend to do and rarely do. Whatever machines I use also have to be fore the simple minded, lol, because I am not adept at mechanical or electronic challenges. Any input would be welcome. DDD

S

Signorina

I love the treadmill -of course mine is covered in cobwebs--I call it the road to nowhere and I am usually pretty good about using it 3x a week or at least I WAS LOL

The best thing about a treadmill is that it is a weight bearing exercise. Unlike the elliptical or bike - you are bearing 100% of your own weight while using it which is good for building or maintaining bone density.

It can be hard on the joints - I am guessing it is properly cushioned at the health club and well maintained which helps a lot. I like it because I can get lost in a tv show while I walk.

try it!