mobile response useless

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
difficult child II has been horribly manic today, he was cursing and violent, threatend to kill both me and my mother. There is no keeping him from leaving the house. I called mobile response, and after holding for 40 minutes, my difficult child I informed me difficult child II had left and taken his backpack full of clothes. difficult child I of course is cursing at me and being the $#^&## he is. I feel guilt for just wanting him gone, and now I am on hold with mobile repsonse again (no one ever answered the 1st time) and wondering where difficult child II went?????

I am so frustrated, I want to runaway:angry-very:

klmno

I don't know what mobile response is or how old the child is, but I would call all friends' houses and 911 for help and go looking for him. I know you are frustrated right now, but if he is manic you do not know what he might do, he's still at risk for someone else doing something to him, and these actions might pay off in more ways than one.

Just my 2 cents-

Keep us posted-

amazeofgrace

that takes the cake, I finally get a live person and they tell me I have to call CMO directly, sigh.......................

Steely

This is horrible. Please, keep us updated.

As you predicted, it sounds like difficult child 2 needs to be in phosph ASAP. Can you take him there directly via ambulance or police?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm sorry to hear that there was no response from crisis response. What is the next choice if the crisis team doesn't show up or buried in other calls?

We have a file for each of the tweedles with the crisis team which includes a crisis plan. You know step 1, step 2, etc, etc, etc.

When it comes to the part where they have no staff left to send out to the house what is your next choice?

It's very well written in our crisis plan to call 911 for help in transporting a mentally ill child to the nearest ER for stabilization. We request an ambulance with EMTs along with a (knowing the police will show anyway), at least one female police officer if there is one available to reduce kt's stress/anxeity.

This is the kind of crisis team I'm used to dealing with. . .

If that isn't what you're dealing with, can you make up your own plan so if mobile response isn't responding what your next step is in the midst of a crisis.

I find it very helpful to pull out the numbered plan & go through it step by step....make sure I haven't missed anything.

Keeping a good thought for you & yours tonight.

amazeofgrace

Update:

Yesterday: difficult child II came home from "running away" he was angry, I got him in the car, and went straight to the local emergency unit. He figured out 1/2 way there what I was doing and raged, but was in tears by the time we arrived. After 7 hours of waiting (difficult child II crashed and was sleeping after 2 hours), I was told there were no beds and I should bring him back 2morrow "if" I had another problem and that things would be expedited quickly. difficult child II was told he was under "house arrest" and that he was not to leave the house without a grown up. He "agreed"

Today:
difficult child II wakes up and announces he's going outside to bounce the BB in the driveway. My mom allows this and sees him heading off down the street. I retrieve him and he is violent and raging. He kicks, hits and threatens to kill me. Then he tries to choke himself, which was a 1st and scarey. I distracted him with a new yo-yo. Later I took him out to the pottery store and we stop in the puppy store, after going over that we would not be leaving with one, well that was a mistake. difficult child II was raging in the car and ripped of the car headrest and started beating me over the head with it. I drive straight back to the emergency unit. And they do not quickly expedite things. Even though it tooks 3 SW's to weigh and measure my child (which they had just done the night b4) 4 hours later they're sending me home again with difficult child II telling me there are no beds and the CMO agency is responsible for helping me with this "stuff".

Can we say "discouraged":not_fair:

Steely

WHAT????
OMG! I don't even know what to say, or how to help.
What medications is he on right now? Do you have a psychiatrist you can call to help expedite all of this?

amazeofgrace

well I have very little faith in the word "expedite" these days.

difficult child II is on 10MG Abilify, and just was weened off of Prozac, but the manic behavior was evident b4 he was taken off.

His psychiatrist is only available Mon - Fri, there's no emergency #. I have a crisis Family Services "Team", again only a Mon - Fri availability. But they told me to call mobile response, which I did, not much help as my 1st post stated. His in home therapist is on maternity leave, or I know she'd have come out 4 me. She's my hero in that department, but she just gave birth, so I would not even ask.

My sister is a SW for child welfare services and she's pipping mad. I am feeling defeated and hopeless at this point and I am still sick to boot.

Steely

WOW, definitely a new psychiatrist is in order. My psychiatrist is on call 24/7 for just these types of emergencies. I cannot imagine one who is not. Kiddos like these have emergencies all of the time.

It does sound like he needs a mood stabilizer, if he is manic. Abilify is only an AP, not a mood stab. He needs something that is going to stabilize him quickly. When he gets in phosph I hope you can ask them about what kind of mood stabilizer they are thinking of for his treatment.

If there are not any beds in your county, have you asked about him being transferred to another county?
I only have experience with Dallas which is huge. If there is an emergency they "make a bed happen". If it is not, then I have heard the old thing about beds not being available. Any chance you need to make this sound more like an emergency?

Many hugs.

FlowerGarden

AmazeofGrace,

I'm in NJ, too. At first, we always took difficult child to the nearest ER when he was a threat to himself or others. From there they would get approval to move him to a hospital that has a CCIS. The last trip to the local ER, we were told not to bring him to their ER next time. They said that we should go directly to the ER at the hospital that has the CCIS.

With us, we go through our insurance plan. We just got signed up with YCM at the being of this year although we tried the mobile response about 2 years ago.

I find the mental health care for children in our state is horrible and lacking.

We had tried mobile response and have had nothing but bad experiences, also....no phone calls back, etc.

Flowergarden

B

butterflydreams

I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this with your difficult child. It is absolutely awful. Mental health care availability for our kids is awful. When I was trying to get my difficult child in the state facility last week because our private insurance was exhausted I was told there is only 20 acute pediatric beds for the WHOLE state.

You are in my prayers and I certainly hope and pray that you are able to get the assistance that you need.

Christy

Christy

I used mobile crisis once and while they answered right away, they told me it would be several hours before someone would arrive. They suggested the ER. I played that game once and it was a huge waste of time. When mobile crisis did arrrive, my son was calm (although he was enraged most of the day), they told me to call the psychiatric hospital the next morning and arrange for my son to be admitted. I have been keeping a log of unsafe behaviors, noting a brief description of the stuation, approximate time of day, behaviors, and resolution. The admitting nurse took one look at what we had been dealing with and assured me that my sons stay would be approved. It was so much calmer than dealing with the ER. If you insurance allows it, maybe you could try this technique if the need arises again.