More drug test concerns

comatheart

difficult child gets random tests twice a week at school. Since we brought him home from rehab, he shows positive for PCP & Meth on every test. Lab tests have confirmed this is actually his prescription medications causing the false positives. Sooooo... what would you think if suddenly his random came out completely negative? Yep, negative for PCP & Meth. I'm thinking its not his pee!? difficult child swears he's taking his medications and I see him open the pill separator twice a day and appear to take them. He says they must have mixed his test up with someone else's.

Today he had an appointment with his psychiatrist. She also tested him. I honestly want worried about it since he volunteered to take it saying he thought it would clear him. But then I missed a call from her this evening... she doesn't call unless there is an issue so my mind is going crazy!! She said she'd call back in the morning.

What do you think? ?
Is there a reasonable explanation for the sudden change in his results?

My gut tells me she is calling because her test didn't flag him for PCP & Meth either. (Even hers flagged him two wks ago) If that's the case, why?! Is he selling his prescription medications??? I'm going to watch extra carefully now to see if hes actually swallowing them. is there a street market for lamictal, seroquel or Zoloft??

Tymica

Com, did psychiatrist call back? What did she say? I think maybe I have read something about a street market for Zoloft. I can't imagine anyone would take seroquel recreationally unless they wanted to hibernate like a bear for weeks on end. Don't know anything about Lamictal though. Hopefully, there is just some logical reason for this. But I know how terrible it is to be sitting on pins and needles until you figure out what that explanation is. (Hugs)

comatheart

His test was positive for marijuana. She's sending it to the lab to verify it. Since she just tested him last week and this didn't show up, it's not likely a false positive.

I'm crushed. He is sick and still very much in the strong of addiction. This makes Triple C's, DXM, K2 and marijuana all in the last 2 weeks. We told him one more positive and he had to make a choice, go back into treatment or find a new place to live. We will not allow him to live in our home, around our other 3 children with him actively using.

Do you know how badly I want to eat those words right now?????? I'm dying inside just thinking about telling my 18 yr old son, who hasn't even graduated high school yet to move out. Will he choose treatment? I don't know. 2 weeks ago he said NO. I hope he has a change of heart. We will confront him when the test comes back from the lab with confirmation. There isn't a bed open at the rehab we'll be sending him (back) to. I hope and pray somehow it's wrong....

toughlovin

Oh I am so sorry you are going through this. It is heartbreaking and gut wrenching. I think though you knew in your heart of hearts he was using again. I am glad it was not more than pot. I was going to say before your last update.... that if he was showing up clean at school when it didnt make sense that he was probably faking the test some how. My son did that....

Hopefully he will choose rehab... he might not choose it at first because he will test you to see if you are serious.

TL

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

comatheart

The school tested the kids again today. The director text us this evening and said he was observed peeing in the cup and it came out completely clean. No THC. I'M SO CONFUSED! So maybe it is a screw up? I just don't get it.

toughlovin

So pot stays in your system for a month....I wonder if the sensitivity is different in the tests so that one picks up smaller traces than the others and so is picking up that he used a few weeks ago and the other one didnt?

I have no idea but that is a guess.

TL

lovemysons

Hope you find out whats going on with the different finding's on the tests...very strange.
Will rehab give you a call when a bed is available?
What does your son say about possibly going back to rehab?

hugs and care,
LMS

Tymica

Pot actually builds up in your system. So if you smoked one time a small amount it would he out of your system within a few days. So if he used a small amount 1 time a few days before docs test it possibly could have been out of his system by the schools test yesterday.

comatheart

Well I have a renewed hope that maybe we won't have to face the decision of telling him treatment or leave. I guess well see on Monday. This emotional roller coaster sucks!

difficult child doesn't know we contacted the rehab. We were actively collecting all the options to present to him when the lab came back with confirmation. Its honestly the best option so we were hopeful he would agree. We are supposed to contact the director about the bed situation on Monday and keep in contact every day. He said they'd for sure have one next Friday, maybe sooner.

Nancy

I hope you get to the bottom of the conflicting results. Doesn't give you much faith in the results does it? I would still watch him take his medications since those don't seem to be showing up either. No street value for lamictal, that's why doctors like it.

DammitJanet

I am sorry for your confusion. I can tell you that there is a street value for seroquel because addicts like to take it to come down off of uppers. The other two I dont know about. Also, I dont take zoloft but I have been on both lamictal and seroquel and I have never tested positive for pcp or meth.

Now...about how he may have suddenly been passing these urine tests even though supposedly someone is observing him. They dont actually watch the person touch their private parts which means...oh sigh this will sound awful...they tape a condom or other sort of rubber device like a balloon to their privates. When needed to pee, it appears it is coming out of the penis. The reason the drugs arent showing up is because he is using clean urine.

comatheart

The Lamictal flags PCP. An otc medication he's taking, Zantac flags for Meth.

I spoke with the counselor at the school about Fridays test... it was clean for ALL substances, even the PCP & Meth again. (which did come up on the Dr's test on Thurs) So either you are correct about the condom thing, or the school has a bad batch of tests. The counselor said if my sons lab test confirms marijuana, then he will get a new supplier.

It actually all makes sense. As hopeful as I am his lab test comes back clean, I bet it doesn't and the schools tests are bad.

comatheart

Finally got results today. The lab was negative! UGHHHH so much stress and anxiety for 7 days for nothing. I'm so relieved. Gigs mood has been better the last 2 days. He actually got a new sponsor yesterday so I'm hoping things will be looking up from here. ++fingers crossed++