Moving

Nomad

Staff member
We are planning a move from one part of the state to another.
Due to a variety of technicalities...not sure exactly when. Perhaps June...just a guess.
Has anyone moved recently?
Do you have any advice?
I know moving is high on the list of stressors and I'm already feeling it.
I will miss my friends and even folks like the guy who mows my lawn. I've known him for ten years and he has always been friendly and fair with his prices.
The idea of finding new friends and new people to handle all these things is a crummy feeling.
I'm trying to take it one day at a time and understand I will make new friends.
A few of my old friends I know in my heart I will still see here and there...just not as often.
I haven't moved any great distances since college...many many moons ago! LOL!

pigless in VA

I'm in the same boat, Nomad. We're moving to the farm this summer. I hate moving. One moving rule that I remember is to always unload and setup your bed as the number one priority.

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
We moved after 18 yrs of being planted. I did have to come to terms that I would never see some of those people again, u find who really stays in touch. After 6 mos I mourned an moved on.

Some of the best advice I got was, no matter where you settle you will generally the same. If u were use to going to church and lunch on Sunday's, you will continue to do so. You will .meet. each people, a d just found true blessings were right around the corner!

Enjoy the adventure!

wisernow

wisernow
And if you can afford to do so hire movers. It is so worth having someone else do the heavy lifting and set up. shortly after moving I would go around and introduce myself to the new neighbours. And then ask their advice on things like churches, restuarants, things to do etc. I think if you open your heart to the change, others will be there to. And as MOF says find true and new blessings right around the corner!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
We just moved 2 1/2 years ago, after living in the same town for 31 years (although I moved around 3 or 4 times within the same town). I agree about getting not only movers, but if you can handle it, get someone to pack and unpack for you too! I asked around about movers and found a local company owned by a father and son who came highly recommended......they did a good job too. I preferred that to the big moving companies.

One really positive result for me was letting go of so much that I had stored in the garage......I spent a few afternoons sitting in the middle of the garage going thru boxes and heaving things I hadn't seen in years right into the dumpster. I couldn't believe how much stuff I got rid of and it really did lighten me up too! Once we moved, because of the "lighter load," our new place reflected my new found sense of order and organization.

I utilized what others suggested to me, the 3 pile solution......in going thru parts of the house, 1 pile to save, 1 pile to give away, 1 pile to be thrown out. I also purchased a good book which I still use called 'The life-changing magic of tidying up', the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing by Marie Kondo. It's an interesting way to look at how to let go and organize "stuff."

Since you have a good amount of time before you move, perhaps starting to do your organizing and packing now, just a bit at a time, rather than doing it all at once. Ms. Kondo's book might be of some help to you there.

Another thing that helped me was to reframe the experience.......to start looking at it as a new adventure.....

There is grief involved, letting go of the old......geez, life sure has a lot to let go of doesn't it? And, it's so tough on us human beings.........moving is definitely up there on the stress chart!

Keep us posted as you maneuver thru this Nomad......perhaps that'll help too, to kind of journal your way thru it.....hang in there......many of us here know just how you are feeling......

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you all. I have some days that are extraordinarily difficult. I have to keep myself from crying. Of course, other days are much better. But, it almost always is tugging at my heart.

Copabanana

I will miss my friends and even folks like the guy who mows my lawn. I've known him for ten years and he has always been friendly and fair with his prices.
You know Nomad I wish I could tell you this will go away but in my experience the relationships with people who help you and on whom you can depend, are the hardest to leave and I mourn the longest, their loss. I mean decades.

I have been blessed to have a number of people in my life that cared for me and my child, that I became devoted to because of the way they treated us, not because of any shared interest or demographic. I still think of my mother's gardener (who I cannot even remember meeting, for his loyalty to her, and how grateful she was.)

I do not know why this is so, why these people became so meaningful to me, that I would miss them, for my whole life long, when I do not miss "friends."

The poignancy really is bittersweet. You are a person who bonds, who cares. And people care about you. That is something to be treasured, really.

Until I return.

You will carry these people with you for the rest of your life. As I have.

Last edited: