Multidisciplinary evaluation

K

Kjs

Is this something I can request from School? As well as the FBA? Somewhere in the meeting last Friday the Principal said we only do these every three years.

He has not had one in middle school.(seventh grade) He may have had one in fifth grade at elementary school.

Can I request one?

Martie

The SD is not telling you the truth. If one has not been done this year, you can request it, and you should do this by CERTIFIED MAIL.

The law states that the SD MUST evaluate every three years at a minimum, not that it may only evaluate every three years.

When you send the certified letter a 60 CALENDAR day time-line starts.

You need to start a filing system and keep good records of everything you do. There are sample letters in the Archives of Sp Ed 101 on page 3 under Getting Started. Delete the references to "Parent Report" until you have prepared one. (It is a good idea--it makes the points you want the team to consider without your having to explain everything over and over again.)

Martie

Sheila

The letter I wrote in one of your ealier threads pertains to a multidisciplinary evaluation. Even re-evaluations should be multidisciplinary via the school district if the request is made appropriately by the parent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The school district needs to re-evaluate your son. Beings that haven't taken the initiative to do that, you can parent refer him. They must either do the evaluation or show cause why it's not necessary to a Hearing Officer at a Due Process Hearing. Under the circumstances, I'd be extremely surprised if they refused to re-evaluate. But lets go one step at a time.

Revamp the FBA letter I previously posted. Similar to:

Certified Mail No.______________
Fax No. (xxx) xxx-xxxx

March X, 2007

Dear Mr/Mrs. Special Education Director
X Independent School District
Address
City, State zip

Re: difficult child
XXX School

Dear Mr/Mrs. Special Education Director:

My son, ___________, attends ___________ School. He was evaluated and found eligible for an IEP approximately six years ago.

This letter is a formal request and parent consent for a complete re-evaluation including but not limited to health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, communicative status, and motor abilities.

It's my understanding XISD has 60 days to perform the evaluation.

Additionally, this is a request for a Functional Behavioral Assessment to be performed immediately.

We look forward to receiving an evaluation plan within 5 days of this request. It will be necessary that we receive a copy of the evaluation report together with subtest scores one week prior to the IEP meeting being scheduled.

Sincerely,

Mom
Address

I'm going to close this post and respond with additional info so the post isn't so long.

But presently this is the most important issue to handle so I encourage you to get your letter done and to the sd ASAP. </div></div>