Multiplex Developmental Disorder/not in DSM

slsh

member since 1999
During discussion with- Dir at Residential Treatment Center (RTC) yesterday, he asked if Childhood Disintegrative Disorder had ever been considered - never heard of it, and after I researched it, nope, not even close. However, this Multiplex Developmental Disorder sure does smell a *whole* lot like thank you. It's a research classification right now, with- no recommendations for treatment or management (yet), so essentially useless, but... at least someone out there is recognizing that there are kids who are more than one thing, less than another, but yet similar to each other.

FWIW.

dlp30

Very interesting and my difficult child fits into all 3 of the categories that they listed!! I am going to book mark this and keep it around in case it is needed. Thanks

Fran

Former desparate mom
You gotta love "magical thinking".

Thanks for the url. I am going to forward it to difficult child's dr.

gieseler4

Hello Slsh, I was wondering what you think about my young difficult child. difficult child is very strange in that if I say to one of the other kids IE:thank you, for doing something. Its expected that somewhere in the house we will hear difficult child say ( you hate me) or (I'm just a stupid little boy). Oh and god for bid I say I love you to one of the other kids without saying it to young difficult child. Because he will allmost tear up and ask why I don't love him. Which is not true at all, its just, I think he lives in his own world. The fact of the matter is that I say I love you to all the kids not at the sametime, but they all know I love them very much. The other day my other difficult child layed down with me to watch a movie (this hasn't happened in a long time) and young difficult child almost had a nervious break down. This is why I was asking you about childhood disintegrative disorder? Thanks, Jackie

slsh

member since 1999
Jackie,

My impression of CDD was that it typically had a severe regression of developmental skills, early in childhood - so I was picturing a normally developing kid until age 2 or 3, then loss of skill to the point of being severely (stereotypically) autistic. I don't know about your kiddo, but it's more like thank you stalled out emotionally around age 4... he hasn't really lost any skills.

Now - I'm *just* a lay person with- enough information (and internet access) to be dangerous. :wink: The only kids I would presume to diagnose are my own, LOL. I do feel *very* strongly that for thank you, the BiPolar (BP) diagnosis is just one part of the whole picture and that there's an aspect of either Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or psychosis (severe thought disorder), or both. The problem I'm having is in finding the right person to do a decent neuropsychologist evaluation... his psychiatrist is not terribly helpful. :rolleyes:

I totally relate to the "competition" your young difficult child feels he's in with- the other kids. I also cannot hug or compliment my other kids with-out thank you sticking his nose right in it. I usually just ask him to wait because the other kids need an *individual* hug from me right now. He isn't a happy camper, but... one of his problems is understanding that other people have needs too. I guess I've gotten used to it, but good heavens, it used to just drive me up a tree. The world does *not* revolve around thank you, in spite of what he thinks. He's also, in my humble opinion, very inappropriate with- his affection. If we go grocery shopping, he will drape himself over my shoulders and give me frequent hugs and kisses in the store. Now, I don't mind public displays of affection, but... it just seems like odd behavior from a kid who's almost 14. He's like this at home - I cannot leave or walk into a room without getting a hug. Yesterday he said "good morning" and "I love you" over a dozen times within an hour. I'm a cuddly person by nature, but this kid has maxed me out.

I have no idea what the answer is - not even sure another diagnosis would really help in a practical way, at least in our house. For now, it's just a lot of verbal cues reminding him that my interactions with- his sibs has absolutely *nothing* to do with him - it's not an indication that I love them more or him less... it's just that they are individuals (or better yet, also *my* kids) and they need "mommy time" too. He's not getting it yet, so I do a lot of deep breathing! :wink:

gieseler4

Thanks Slsh, I am all the time on the internet and this board trying to figure out what makes young difficult child tick. His behaviour is so different then the other 2 and my friends kids that even when I know I will I will probably never find out whats going on I still find myself asking questions. But you hit the nail on the head, with the (I love you) thing. difficult child must say this to me about 15 times give or take a couple every hour of every day. And if I'm busy and don't reply or don't hear him, he will keep repeting or find me and ask why I don't love him. I love him all of them so much, but his needienss is so draining on me sometimes. Jackie