Need Advice...Please Help

SnowAngel

My son peanut is going through the IEP testing, meanwhile they set up recomendations at a student assistance team (SAT-school employees in charge of IEP process) meeting. They decided to remove peanut when he is disruptive or has inappropriate behavior. He is to be removed from his class for one hour in a room with a teacher, desk and chair only. After the hour is up, he is to return to his class and try using acceptable behavior. If he cant behave then the process of removing him for an hour starts all over.

Friday the principal was out and that left the :censored2:. principal( Mrs. R) in charge. Peanut was sent to the office for disturbing other students in his class. Mrs. R called me and she asked me for advice on what she should do because he wasn't doing his work and was disturbing other students in his class. I told her to give him some different options of work he could do and that I couldn't do much to enforce he does his work as I was at home without transportation.

About a half hour latter I received another call from my other son Ducky who was sent to the office. I talked with him about behaving and told him we would talk more when he got home. I thought he would be sent back to class.

About twenty minutes latter I received another call from Mrs. R who was upset that Ducky and Peanut were not behaving in the office. They were singing, talking, getting up and sticking their tongues out. Why on earth they would be sitting next to each other is beyond me. Once again I told her I was home without transportation and was not able to do anything until they got home.

I received another call from Mrs. R about 1:30pm asking if I could find a way to come get them. She told me she was trying to run an office and the school of about 800 kids all by herself, which is hard to do when you have kids that need to be babysat. The boys were running around and disturbing parents and other students. I told her I had no way of getting them, but I could walk the six miles to get them if necessary. My mother would not let me take my niece that far, so they needed to stay at school until they could take the bus home after school.

I received the last call about 2:35pm from Mrs. R informing me that both Ducky and Peanut were removed off the bus because they sat the boys together and they were loud.She stated she had called the police department to see what she should do since I was without transportation to come get them.

Thankfully, my step father had hid a spare key to their van with transmission problems. I went ahead and chanced making it to and from the school. Upon my arrival at the school I noticed two police cars. When I went inside the office I was told to go to Mrs. R's office. Outside her office were three police officers. One officer asked her to explain why they were called out. She started explaining their behavior and then stated they were singing songs about the bus drivers funeral. A police report was filed. Both the boys were also suspended for two days.

I have requested several times through e-mail with the principal that I do not want Mrs. R to handle discipline with Ducky or Peanut. She has not listened to anything I have said on how they respond to harsh tone of voice, interruptions and not listening to their side of the story, even if they are wrong. She seems to escalate their mood every time she deals with them.

This was not handled well. I believe after talking with Ducky and Peanut that the recommendations from the SAT meeting for Peanut were not followed.

They had to eat lunch outside during this time. The lunch supervisor said Ducky could go play but Peanut couldn't. Then after lunch time was over they were both returned to the office.

Don't they have to follow the recomendations that are in writing and signed by the SAT members?

What do I do? I think it is because I made a big deal about the counselor hitting my son at school four weeks ago.

Also posted in Special Education forum, just in case I posted in wrong spot.

meowbunny

From my experience, an SAT is a waste of paper. Nothing in one has to be followed and rarely is. Personally, I think they are done to assuage a parent, nothing more. The reality is that getting teachers and staff to follow an IEP, which is a true contract between the school, the parent and the child, is difficult to enforce but at least there you have some legal rights.

It seems like an hour out of the class is an awful long time. I would ask for a new meeting and recommend that if he must be sent out of the classroom, it be until he shows he can control himself rather than a set time.

Given that both boys have been suspended for two days, I think you would have a pretty good argument that more is needed than the SAT. Insist on an IEP. One thing you could actually put in it is that Mrs. R have no interaction with your son since it obviously sets him off.

Good luck in the school battles. I think pulling your own wisdom teeth is more fun than getting a school to work with a child with behavior problems.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I would have wanted them separated as well but depending on the size of the school and amount of staff that might be difficult. I know we have a very small office and it is very difficult to separate children.

That being said, they need to come up with a better plan than continuously calling you. That seems very odd to me and something my school doesn't do.

Definitely sounds like an IEP is needed-then they have to follow it.

4sumrzn

I'm sorry you have to go through all of this!!! I agree with the others.....IEP! You will then have the chance to set things up the way YOU want them. I believe everyone wants an education for their children & sitting in the office won't do that. I'm curious to see what the Special Education forum suggested....you have rights & I'm not sure what the "SAT" is all about!?!?

TerryJ2

Mrs. R sounds like an idiot. Filing a police rept because they were singing songs about the bus driver's funeral? Puh-leeze!!!!

So sorry.

She could easily have given them chores to do --shredding papers, wiping down blackboards ... don't they teach teachers and principals this in teaching college? No, I guess she just jumped through bureaucratic hoops and left her common sense behind.

Glad your transportation held out at the end.

What a day!

SnowAngel

They are almost done with the IEP testing. Unfortunately, on Friday Peanut was to meet with the occupational therapist to finish up his testing for an IEP. I guess I will see tomorrow. I did e-mail the school psychologist, principal, superintendent and his teacher to request a meeting this week. Hopefully one of them will respond promptly. My sons counselor isn't to happy about Friday's incident. He will attend the meeting on my sons behalf.

nvts

Hi! I know that you're going to get a lot of info. on the spec. ed forum. I'm going thru pretty nasty stuff for my 5 year old. I know that there are IDEA protections for anyone going through the IEP process. Once the school is aware of a disability, there are also extra protections as well.

good luck with the whole thing! It's truly difficult to deal with someone as ignorant as Mrs. R.!!

Beth

SnowAngel

I was informed by the superintendent that the school has to follow the SAT recomendations while the IEP testing/evaluation is in progress. I was also told they are finishing up his paperwork so they can schedule a meeting to discuss the findings to support an IEP for him.

susiestar

Roll With It
Any chance they are taking their anger over your calling the police about hte sexual assault on your ducky and peanut? Also being upset over your complaint about your son getting hit?

It is ugly but schools do these things. I hate it.

Susie

SnowAngel

My son peanut was hit by a school counselor, my niece was sexually assaulted on the school bus and a teacher wouldn't let Ducky eat lunch for almost a week. Could be a retaliation. I would hope not, but one never can count it out. The officer Friday said to push for the IEP's and get a child advocate. The IEP findings are complete and I am waiting on a meeting time. I am checking on the advocate. I am seriously considering the homeschool idea. Arizona is #50 in the nationwide ranking of education. I believe we are looking at moving in 2008 to either Wisconsin or Minnesota. Still way to much to check into to make anything final. I do miss the seasons.