Need help with an O.D.D. child

mrgnzma

My son has been diagnosed with ODD......he has a major issue with going to school and says he will skip or get suspended so he doesn't have to go.....any suggestions out there?

I am currently dealing with school refusa with my daighter. The psycologist suggests we try to get her to parking lot for 5 minutes, that is it. Compassion

BusynMember

Hi and welcome!

Ok, first off most of us don't feel ODD stands alone, but is more of a symptom of a bigger disorder. Plus we rarely see that diagnosis. for an older child. How old is your child? That makes a big difference. How was his early development? Does he know how to socialize? Any psychiatric disorders on either side of his family tree? Substance abuse? Is he old enough to possibly be dabbling in drugs? How new is this behavior?

If you tell us more, we can help you better. Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us.

klmno

Hi and welcome! I think it would help to give us a little more information- not identifying information but basic stuff like age (or age range), have you always had difficulties with your son being noncompliant, who diagnosed him (the school, etc) and was he diagnosed with anything else. If it was just the school, I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it but some thing else still might be going on with him. Really though, if he's a young adolescent boy and this is the only problem you are having from him, I'd probably take him to a family therapist and try to get to the root of it.

Kira

Hello, Im also new here. My name is Kira and I am a young mom of two, ages 1yr. and a soon to be 8yr old. My 8yr old has been classified with haveing AD/HD, ODD & some characteristics of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) as well. I am still learning how to deal with him? My biggest struggle right now is school! They act like they dont know what to do with him? Any suggestions for things that the schools can do to make his days easier? Help! Thanks! Kira

TPaul

Idecor8
My oldest son, who is 10, newly ODD has had trouble in school for the past 2 years. It progressed through the year last year and he even was kicked out of summer school after repeatedly have trouble and becoming extremely angry with his teacher and yelling, etc.... Was in trouble on the second day of school this year and then repeatedly and it was the principle who suggested we take him to a for counciling.

He is a checklist for ODD and most likely bi polar like wife. The therapist comes to school throughout the week and he has not been in as much trouble at school. However home life has been like a circus out of control.