Need smothered chicken recipe

klmno

I'm talking about southern style and for a slow cooker- no vegies in it, and it comes out with very tender chicken breasts smothered in a thick white gravy that tastes a tad peppery and is good on mashed potatoes. I hear it's a simple recipe but have no idea which recipe it is when I google it and don't know what to set my slow cooker on or for how long.

Can someone help me out?

klmno

I'm not sure- the recipe sounds like it could be but the photo doesn't look like it because what I've had looks compeltely white when the pot is opened and when it's served. And I've seen a few recipes that include cream of mushroom soup but I didn't taste anything near a mushroom taste in this. It was more like southern white gravy- I wonder if it would work with a can of southern gravy and chicken broth mixed in???

donna723

You could try that. Or you could try mixing chicken broth with one of the packages of gravy mix that makes the peppery white gravy to put over biscuits. There's a couple of different brands (McCormicks?) and some of it is very good. If I was going to make it, I'd cook the chicken part way in the crock pot first, then make the gravy on the stove, using chicken broth instead of water, then pour the gravy over the chicken in the crock pot for the last hour or so of cooking.

DammitJanet

They have a packet at the grocery store for this. Do you have either blooms or food lion? I know at food lion they have a southern white gravy mix packet. On the other hand, white gravy is fairly easy to make. Its just a milk based gravy which is made with some form of grease and flour, add a bit of pepper for the bite and you can simmer your chicken breasts in it. If you want your chicken breasts to have that"Chicken fried steak" type thing, then simply pound them out, dip in egg, dip in flour/salt/pepper. Fry in oil till cooked. Remove from grease. Get rid of almost all oil. Leave about 2 or 3 tablespoons. Add flour to the oil. Now I do this part by eye. its a cooking thing. You just have to add it until you think it will thicken the gravy. about oh...a quarter cup or so. maybe a tad more. Then add milk to the frying pan while you stir. You want enough gravy to cover the chicken. Serve with rice.

Does this sound like it?

klmno

I think I'll try that, Donna. Now, if I could just find the exact recipe for that potatoes/velveeta/bacos casserole E used to make we'll have our last meal for next week planned. LOL!

klmno

No, that doesn't sound like it, DJ. The only thing I 'bread' or dip or coat is fried chicken and fried fish- which I have to have occasionally whether it's healthy or not. LOL! The cooking in the southern gravy mix does sound exactly like it.

donna723

In our store, they have a couple of different kinds of the white gravy mixes, There's one kind that is sausage flavored and another that is the plain white with bits of pepper in it. I usually get the white kind, mix in some cooked crumbled pork sausage, and serve it over hot biscuits for breakfast.

DammitJanet

They now sell a velvetta bacon/cheese/taters type stroganoff thing...what is it called when the thin sliced potatoes are layered? Its in a box anyway. I just bought several boxes the other day.

klmno

DJ- I think it was a velveeta box mix that E and I tried about 4-5 years ago that led us to look for the recipe we ended up with because we decided we could make it ourselves and it would taste better with fresh potatoes, which of course it did and E mastered it as "his dish". It wasn't the AuGratin- this was nore like what you'd put on a loaded baked potato except it's a casserole and you don't cook the potatoes first- you just cut them into chunks and throw them in with everything else. I think it had milk in it, too.

I'm going to look thru those you listed, Suz.

So far the plan is to grill tuna or salmon tomorrow and have fresh spinach cooked in a tad of olive oil and pasta with sundried tomato sause.

Then on Monday I'll cook the smothered chicken and we hope to have the potato casserole with some green vegie- maybe aparagus.

We'll have leftovers Tuesday and Wednesday I plan to cook pork chops, with mashed potatoes, pinto beans and corn bread. I figure we can use the gravy from the chicken.

That should give us enough to mix-n-match on with leftovers thru Friday, or Thursday at least. E has his SAT on Sat. so if we need to order out or pick up something Fri. night I'm not worried about it.

DammitJanet

Velveta just came out this year.

If you want to try a really good potato casserole dish I have one. Chunk up taters into small bite sized pieces raw. Cut up italian sausage...like Johnsonville. Cut up bell peppers and onions. Throw all that into a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for about an hour and a half on 400 until potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. It is good.

donna723

Have you ever tried to make a breakfast pizza with the frozen hash browns? It's a bit like the hashbrown casseroles they serve at Cracker Barrel but with a crust. I haven't made one for a very long time but they're WONDERFUL! You use a regular round pizza pan and for the crust you use a package of refrigerated crescent roll dough. Put the dough in the pan with the points to the center, then press it until the seams are closed and you have a raised edge on it. Don't have the exact recipe anymore but you cover the crust with several handfuls of frozen shredded hashbrowns, then add in whatever you want. It's great with little bits of leftover ham, or crumbled cooked bacon or spicy pork sausage. I add sliced green onions, maybe some diced peppers or fresh sliced mushrooms or any leftover veggies I might have on hand. Then cover the whole thing with lots of shredded cheddar cheese. Then beat several eggs (6?) with salt & pepper and pour over the whole thing. I forget exactly how many eggs but you want just enough beaten egg to come to the edges of the pan but not enough to run over. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top and bake it (375?) till the eggs are set and the crust is browned. The eggs will stay shiny so it's kind of hard to tell when they're set ... I jiggle it to see if the middle moves. The crescent rolls make a nice flakey crust. It's not as much trouble as it sounds like and it's absolutely wonderful for a weekend breakfast. If we ever have leftovers (not often!) my son will walk around eating it cold from the 'fridge!

klmno

Yeah! Suz- it was the first one you listed. If that's not the exact same, it's sure close enough! Thank you!

S

Signorina

Late to the party - but a friend just posted this on pinterest and it's smothered chicken WITH bacon...

Sour Cream and Bacon Crockpot Chicken
http://momswithcrockpots.com/2012/01/sour-cream-and-bacon-crockpot-chicken/

Type: dinner
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooke Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 15 mins
Serves: 8

Ingredients

• 8 bacon slices
    • 8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    • 2 (10 oz) cans roasted garlic cream of mushroom soup
    • 1 cup sour cream
    • 1/2 cup flour (all purpose or gluten free blend)
    • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

• Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-low heat until some of the fat is rendered. Be sure that the bacon is still pliable and not crisp. Drain on paper towels. If you use this method, reduce the flour to 1/4 cup. Or don't cook the bacon and proceed with the recipe.
    • Then wrap one slice of bacon around each boneless chicken breast and place in a 4-5 quart crockpot.
    • In medium bowl, combine condensed soups, sour cream, and flour and mix with wire whisk to blend. Pour over chicken.
    • Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken and bacon are thoroughly cooked. You may want to remove the chicken and beat the sauce with a wire whisk so it is very well blended.
    • Pour sauce over chicken.
    • If you have a newer crockpot, check the chicken at 5 hours. The internal temp should be 160 -170 degrees F.

Notes
Serve over rice, couscous, or wide egg noodles.
**Gluten Free** Check labels. You can buy gluten free Cream of mushroom soup although many brands are not.