New and need help.......

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by swilliamson, Jan 10, 2008.

  1. swilliamson

    swilliamson New Member

    Okay I will try and make this a short as possible. For the past two years, the school will call and say they are having behavior problems with my ds. But when we start pushing and questioning what has been really happening, they back off. Well finally this year, his 2nd grade teacher has finally stated she feels he needs testing. I spoke with the principle about setting up testing. He told me that AD is not a learning disability. WHICH I COMPLETLY DO NOT AGREE TOO! He stated that the testing the school provides will not test for this. I still pushed having my ds tested through the school. I told the principle that maybe he appears to have and AD problem, when there is really an underlying learning disability. My husband cousin is a teacher in our state. She has been trying to help us become informed as much as she can. She told us about the IDEA, plan that the school has to follow after we put in writing that we want our ds tested. It was also recommended to us that we needed to have the principle and teacher put in writing that they felt he needed tested. The principle is refusing to back up what he told me on the phone today and put in writing. I feel that he just doesn't want the school to have to pay for the testing.

    So my questions are: 1. Does AD/HD fall into the category of a learning disability? or does it go by state to state (we live in OHIo) 2. Does the testing through the I.D.E.A cover AD?

    Please help, as my husband and I are having a hard time finding these answers. The school doesn't want to offer anything up, again.
  2. aslmovies

    aslmovies New Member

    My son is AD/HD and I had him diagnosed by my family doctor. He is receiving services from the school. I'm not trying to be tacky, but why would you trust the school to diagnose your child? With all the challenges you are facing with them, why would you trust them?

    Take your child to your family doctor. Get the diagnosis, that gives you leverage. Without a "LABEL" (ex. ADHD, autism, etc.), the school will not do anything.

    I understand your delima, my daughter is Asperger's syndrome. She was in a contained classroom until the 1st grade and had a full time aid until 5th and now she is 17, no aid, and is completely mainstreamed. Always make sure you keep some service even if it is just speech, because if that door ever closes it almost never closes.

    To accomplish all these things you have to stay diligent, consistant and always remember this phrase:

    "My child is guaranteed a free education on an individual basis"
    not according to anyother child.

    The school told me that they didn't have the money for my daughter a full time aid and I very calmly told them that that's not my problem and they will figure something out.

    They also told me that no other student has a full time aid and I, again very calmly, quoted "My child is guaranteed a free education on an individual basis."

    In the end it is your decision, but keep in mind what's at stake.
  3. swilliamson

    swilliamson New Member

    Thank you for your advise and input. I guess we never really looked at it that way. We have been talking about going through are DR. However, is it best to go to a specialist?
  4. Martie

    Martie Moderator


    Schools must evaluate for all conditions that may be impacting learning in the gen ed curriculum including ADHD. Why medical professional are often involved is for the medication management that s often part of the picture. Schools are not responsible for any medical TX. ADHD fall under OHI in IDEA.

    I would get an independent evaluation from a specialist if you can but you also have to have the school evaluate because while they must consider an outside evaluation, they do not have to follow it.

    Send all mail to the SD CERTIFIED and stay off the phone. As you have discovered, if they won't put it in writing, it's useless.

    I suggest you check out as an authoritative source for school law information from the parental point of view.

  5. swilliamson

    swilliamson New Member

    Thank you for this link above. I have found several articles already that have sparked more interest for me into what I might be facing.

    I have been fighting my husband over getting my ds diagnosed for a year or so. I have never wanted to admit to myself that ds my have this problem. I kept saying that all kids act this way at times.

    Any and all comments are welcome. I do not get offended. I know that everyone here will have different opinions and ideals. They are welcome, if I am not open to them, I will never learn.

    Thanks again.
  6. jen3

    jen3 New Member


    I really feel that the independent evaluation. is the way to go. I had my 8 year old tested in 1st grade through the school at my request. At my parent-teacher conference the teacher stated that she didn't know how he'd make it to second grade that he just wasn't getting it. They discovered he had a Learning Disability (LD) in math. He is now in 2nd grade getting help daily in math from a spec. ed. teacher and although he is making some progress he is still having difficulty staying focused and paying attentin in class. The teacher said he is lethargic in class and seems very frustrated. My husband and I decided to have him tested by a neurologist to check for ad or anything else. He is scheduled to have a neuropsychological evaluation and I possibly might have them do more educational testing. My health ins. covers the neuropsychologist. evaluation but the educational testing is out of pocket. We just want to make sure we're not missing anything. It's hard to tell if he just has a lack of motivation or is this really hard for him. Don't be afraid to ask for what your child needs. All the schools are trying to save a buck but you need to advocate for your child. We haven't had any trouble with the school getting him tested or extra help but MA has a lot of Special Education laws. Good luck with your child. I understand that the school doesn't have to go by the ind. evaluation. but depending on my son's results I will push to make sure he gets what he needs because I feel that all children learn differently and they all deserve a good education and the same opportunities as other children.
  7. aslmovies

    aslmovies New Member

    Swilliamson, you are welcome. I hope I have helped a little.

    Martie....I agree that they are supposed to, but the reason I suggested that swilliamson get a diagnosis from an md is because some insurances wont allow you to go to a specialist unless you have a referral and if you have a diagnosis from a md then the schools have more of an obligation not only to put your child in the system, but it gives you more leverage.

    jen3-you are very lucky and consider yourself blessed. I have dealt with schools that will fight you tooth and nail. They refuse to do testing for one reason or another. Some schools are very accomodating and sincerely care.

    The more you know about your rights, the better off you are. Especially if you have a special needs child in even the smallest approximation. Some schools use the ignorance of the parents and the lack of willingness to learn about their rights to avoid all kinds of things. LEARN, READ, STUDY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY SAY.

    Dont let the schools bully or intimidate you. When I get :censored2: about any of my kids I tell them the same thing:

    "I have one shot at raising my kids right and if I screw up, I don't pay the price for it, they do!!!!"
  8. nvts

    nvts Active Member

    Hi! You have to keep in mind that while having an outside assessment is great, the school doesn't have to set up services until they complete their own assessment.

    Trust me: listen to what Martie and Sheila have to say on this stuff. They've seen it all and have helped us tremendously.

    Send a letter to the school certified. This starts the clock ticking on the time limits that are legally required due to the IDEA. What I've started to do, is cc: the school psychologist on all requests. If you don't know his/her name, list it on the bottom of your letter as a CC: to the "School Based Assessment Team".

    Second: if the principal calls, tell him that you need his refusal to assess IN WRITING! You'll never get it because he's required by law to evaluate.

    In the meantime, get the evaluation done privately. This will enable you to: argue effectively if you don't feel that the School did a thorough evaluation AND will allow you to secure services if this is what your health insurance requires.

    I would suggest a full blown neuropsychologist through a teaching or children's hospital.

    Keep us up to date and good luck!

  9. swilliamson

    swilliamson New Member

    Well I just made the initial appointment today with his MD. I spoke briefly with the secretary if this is something he normally handles. She stated she wasn't sure, but if not he could refer me to some. We still plan on pressing the issue with the school. Just waiting on this Wen. appointment and will move on from there. I will be glad to keep you all updated, as I am sure I will have many more complaints, worries and questions. Thanks again.