New "for fun" query .. .

JMom

I meant scary fun like roller coasters lol, challenging yourself, your fear; not stupid, but stupid will do .. lol (no offense to anyone) ! ! !
I like the pepper spray one, and getting married a second time, that was funny (but not meant to be).
I jumped off an illegal waterfall where many people died.
I hitchhiked a lot back then and never thought of the danger. Thank God I am here and not in a dungeon somewhere. I went zip-lining , horrified of heights but drank 4 shots of $400 brandy (didn't help). Zipped anyway and loved it.
Ok, hopped, rode, and jumped off moving trains.

Challenging was the drop zone at Kings Island. I pray to the heavens and cry why did I do this (again) on the way up, with my eyes closed, because I LOVE THE DROP. I shake at heights but continue to challenge myself at 58.
I am horrified at heights but I plan on skydiving with my son, because YOLO right?
Just a few for now -

and people think I'm a saint who wouldn't even say a dirty word... I'm not a liar, I just grew up.
Beebz! Your post terrifies me. lol. You are in time out!

JMom

Although I was a risktaker as a child, I have not knowingly taken physical risks as an adult, at least consciously. I was a speed demon driver, that was the only thing. I regret that greatly. I'm fear-ridden now.
What I have done is repeatedly do things that might give others pause. Like work on Death Row. Or in Super Max prisons. Or unprotected and alone, to work in a number of maximum security prisons. And to be solely responsible to make decisions about others' health and welfare in these settings. But I don't think this counts because I never felt fear or thought about it.

I traveled a lot as a woman alone with a small child in third world countries. Anything could have happened. Once it did. My son got deathly ill in El Salvador. I think his fever rose to 110. There was no adequate medical care. And then we were trapped in Hurricane Mitch. And all of the doctors went to assist the hurricane victims. I had become numb with fear. Luckily, I got him to a first class hotel where there was a doctor available.

This thread is about "danger" but I think about danger as "fear" which is something very different. Because now many mundane and non-dangerous things make me fear ridden. I think I am a very confused person about danger. I used to never see it. Now I see it everywhere.

I think this is a very interesting thread to think about. I think the most dangerous things we expose ourselves to, we may be unaware of. They have not risen to consciousness. Even physically dangerous things. They may never even rise to consciousness. And the idea of risk changes over time. When I was a kid we all rode bikes and road flexi's head first without helmets. Mothers never thought one minute about brain injury.
Copa,

I think you didn't realize the danger in the corrections system because you're BRAVE! The adrenaline dump at retirement probably did you in! LOL
Jmom

beebz

Beebz! Your post terrifies me. lol. You are in time out!

I must say, the jumping off an illegal waterfall where many people died - the ones who died were the ones who had to take it a step further. The falls were/are safe. I did not jump into the abyss with an attitude of I may or may not die. I actually did the jump when I was much older. I believe my son was 17.
You needed to be aware of a slate platform under the water that could only be seen when the water was low, you needed to know where to jump safely, you needed to be sober and not huffing paint like some of the kids who have gone there and died. You needed to just jump off the falls and not go to the higher cliffs to run, jump and hope to land in water. You needed to take the long way back up and not try to scale a slimy wet straight-up cliff that was just way too slippery and risky.
I was a tomboy when I was younger. I was the top physical person in my class and amongst my peers. The train jumping riding and exit was easy for me. Sure, accidents could have happened and thankfully they didn't. No, I don't recommend it. Anyway - just wanted to clear that up a bit -

susiestar

Roll With It
I did some things others thought were dangerous but I didn't. My mother used to take us to the worst parts of our city back in the 1970's. There was a farmer's market in Cinci that is well known. It has now been "revitalized" but it was never slow for business. It just was in a horrible neighborhood. Our neighbors were appalled that she went there, and horrified that she took us kids. It was a "ghetto area" after all. There was a Girl's Club about 2 blocks away. Mom volunteered there regularly. Of course we went with her. We were way to young to leave home alone. I was 4-6 when she did that. I used to ask the winos for money to get chicken because I was hungry. I always got money, enough to pay for my chicken and for my brother's and my cousin's too. They played bodyguard so Mom would know if something happened. We did not let our mother know we were doing this, of course. The boys never knew that I got more, often WAY more, than the quarters I shared with them. Like $20 more.

She also took us to the schools that everyone was afraid of. Not for fun, to see my Dad, who taught shop there. Everyone knew not to piss him off (at the time he could lift a car engine without any help, and one of his steel tables had a big dent where he punched it when a student refused to give him the gun the student was carrying). I ran all over the 2 worst schools in our city and thought nothing of it. I even used the guy teachers bathroom because the female teachers bathroom was locked. I never worried about anything but my brother shutting me in a locker again. That wasn't fun. But I could sit or stand, so it was just dark. They routinely had students who got stabbed at school, and it could be a dangerous place. I never felt any of it.

Years later I had neck surgery and could only work 1/2 days for a while. When riding the bus home, it was when all the kids got out of school. I had some gang members try to threaten me. A big black guy had been standing up right behind me. The gang members tried to mess with me and they got thrown out of the bus while it was moving. They hit the door and it popped open. The man then said he couldn't let anything happen to "Mr. K's wife". I told him I wasn't Mr. K's wife, I was his daughter. We talked for a good half hour about what he thought of my dad. He really liked my dad and said he had a better life now because of it, no way was someone messing with me. The rest of the time I rode that bus, the kids stayed away and never bothered me. Not any of them. I guess word got around.

ksm

SusieStar, I wonder if that is the same area of Cinci that my husband grew up in? He will be 76 soon. He has talked about the winos sleeping in the stairways of the buildings. His family (7 kids) lived on the top floor of a 4 story building on Vine street. His school was 95% black (he is white) but he said is wasn't dangerous then. He graduated in 1961/62. He went to his 50 year reunion and enjoyed it. Ksm

ChickPea

First thing that came to my mind was riding the little trolly thingy up to the top of the Arch. I'm afraid of heights and claustrophobic. It was a challenge on both levels. I really had to grit my teeth on the way up and at the top I tried to ignore my fears and enjoy the moment (because I don't EVER see myself doing that again). I was exhilarated and proud of myself when I made it to the bottom unscathed.

I need more of those experiences!

Copabanana

Dear Beebz

It is so long since you have posted. I pray you and your son, your husband, family, grandchildren, parents, and everybody are well.