No ****** way

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by mrscatinthehat, Dec 4, 2008.

  1. mrscatinthehat

    mrscatinthehat Seussical

    I am beyond po'd. A while back husband and I got letters from the IRS saying that we had to prove that the kids were ours and that we were allowed to claim them on the taxes etc. I sent back three envelopes with the information that they wanted. I just got a response from two of the things. They are now trying to say we owe THEM money because we didnt' prove the kids were ours and what have you. Then it says ever so nicely that we should include a check in the amount of ........

    I am now on hold with the lovely IRS folks. My head is spinning in several different directions. I can not believe this ****. Really we need this now. Does the country need money so bad that it is trying to rob those of us poor slobs blind.

    Of course we will appeal. But get this we have until Dec 31 to take the next step. I can easily zing a letter off to these nit wits. But really I am going to have to go to the dr's office get information for the few years they are asking and the schools and everything else. This is beyond ridiculous.

    I also have to remind myself that I can't get snarky on the phone when and if they ever answer. This voice that keeps telling me not to hang up is getting old fast. Then they are playing music that is just making me type faster.

    We try so blasted hard at everything and just when we get things going flipping smoothly something goes blam. Why do we try. No one fricking cares about us little people that barely scrape by.

    I know better than to be in a good mood and I have been the last couple of days. I was getting some things accomplished among other things.


  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Did either of your kids ever get in trouble legally? Maybe you can mail them a copy of something from the court (like the court order or citation or summons) that lists you as the responsible party. It's odd how the legal authorities never have a problem accepting our word about it, HUH?
  3. Star*

    Star* call 911

    Get a box,
    Find 2 soiled diapers

    send to irs and write ON the huggies -

  4. Star*

    Star* call 911

    Take 2 Qtips -
    Swab the inside of your mouth, husband's mouth then each of the kids -
    pack it in a zip lock

    Send with note -


    ps. I did NOT send the diapers. :tongue:
  5. mrscatinthehat

    mrscatinthehat Seussical

    Ok I just got off the phone with the nice IRS man. I did keep my cool.

    Get this they excepted the information for the first year 2005 and are closing that year as fine. A DIFFERENT agent did the other two years and decided that they needed more information.

    When I tried ever so vigilantly to calmly explain to the man that I sent in triplicate (because that is what had to happen) all of the information before he suggested I contact the school and etc to confirm everything and send that in. He did apologize. He informed me that he did not understand it but he was in CA and the people doing the investigating on the tax years were in Kansas City.

    So now during this lovely holiday season we get to frick with this **** some more. Because we just dont' have anythign better to do.

  6. meowbunny

    meowbunny New Member

    Slow, deep breaths. At least you got a nice agent who actually tried to be helpful. Call the schools, explain the situation, let them dig out the copies and make them for you. If possible, have someone else pick them up just so you don't have to waste your time. Mail them in and sit and wait. When you think you've waited enough, wait some more. They'll get back to you. Usually when it is most inconvenient for you. The IRS is definitely not user friendly.

    I've been battling them for 6 years now. If all goes well (HA!), everything should be resolved by next year. Just keep jumping through their hoops. Sooner or later they usually figure out you're not trying to cheat them. In the meantime, good luck!
  7. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    The only way to deal with them is to send them the response citing the reference number on the original letter. No long explanations, just "In reply to your request for information# XXX, I am sending YYY". Period. I know you have already done it, but it's all automated and no one will read a letter that isn't in the appropriate form.

    Any chance someone has stolen the kids' identities?
  8. donna723

    donna723 Well-Known Member

    Whoops again! The gremlins have got me!
  9. donna723

    donna723 Well-Known Member

    I would rather walk through hot coals than have to deal with the IRS! Are they saying that they believe that they were your childen in 2005 but they're not sure about the years following that? Yeah, that makes sense!

    We had to deal with the same type of logic when my son was a kid and played summer league baseball. We had to bring in a copy of his birth certificate every year when he registered to play ... and he played on the same league for eight years! They wouldn't accept that he was exactly one year older than he was the year before when we showed them his birth certificate! Makes sense to me!
  10. KTMom91

    KTMom91 Well-Known Member

    I hate dealing with the IRS...and I worked there for four years! If you have a TAC (walk-in) office nearby, you might try contacting them with the info. By the time you send it again, someone else will have control of your case.

    Good luck!
  11. gcvmom

    gcvmom Here we go again!

    That certainly bites.

    I hope the school responds quickly with the paperwork you need so this isn't left hanging -- can they fax anything to you? That way, maybe you can get your part in the mail before the holidays...

    Just remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.