No wonder I stopped....

LittleDudesMom

For years I've had a big Easter dinner at my house. For years, and I mean about 17, I had tons of folks - usually bordering on 25-30 over - including a big Easter Egg hunt for the kids. With the aging of the kids and many away at college or moved away for work, it had dwindled a little the last few years to just a little family and a couple close friends.

This year I took a break - at least I thought it was a break. I decided to just do a nice Easter dinner for difficult child and easy child. So I started in the kitchen about 2:30 and just cleaned the last dish at 6:30! No wonder I stopped doing formal dining room dinners!

We ended up with a boneless leg of lamb, green beans, a new potato recipe I saw on tv this week, rolls, and deviled eggs. I set the dining room table with my crystal, china and silver. I had forgotten what a chore it was! The kids enjoyed it though and it was nice to just sit with the two of them. difficult child ate the lamb and loved it, which was a big surprise!

We've dessert yet to go but we are all stuffed and are going to start a movie shortly.

I had just forgotten how much work a big formal dinner is. There is something to be said for downsizing and casual eating! It looked lovely though......

Hope your day was peaceful.

Sharon

busywend

Glad you enjoyed your dinner together. I only made twice baked potatoes and brought some wine to my Aunt's house. We had a great meal and tons of fun!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sounds like a lot of fun but also a lot of work! I know what you mean about how much work a formal dinner is. We've really simplified things with holiday dinners. I rarely pull out my china anymore but when we do I'm always glad I did (til I'm cleaning that is-lol)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
mother in law used to go all out for every holiday........6-8 course meal plus desserts on china, crystal, and used the good silver. My kids looked forward to each one and really appreciated them.

I have all her things now but have not yet braved such a meal. (I know the work involved) My kids really miss them though. So I've been thinking once I'm finally finished with school to start up the tradition once again.

If nothing else it gives the grandkids a good way to learn table manners. LOL

Prop your feet up and let someone serve YOU desert.

Hugs

Fran

Former desparate mom
Just remember LDM, that those memories will stay with the kids and their kids because you are making rituals that
are passed on.
It's worth the work in my humble opinion. We have down sized since there isn't anyone nearby for an easter egg hunt but for many, many years
we did the whole Easter thing. I suspect that we will revive it when there are grandchildren or nephews/nieces move closer. Your
kids will be forever grateful for those memories.

LittleDudesMom

Fran, we definitely have the memories and I wouldn't trade those early days for anything. I have hours of home movies from our Easter Egg Hunts. It was tradition for me to line all the kids up after all the candy and eggs were found and then "interview" them - "Let me see what you found - how old are you difficult child?"

It's just that I've gone much more casual with holiday meals lately. But you are right, sitting at the dining room table and conversing with these "kids" while difficult child carved and ate his lamb while adding to the conversation is definitely a memory I will have!!!!!!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Oh absolutely, I have gotten extremely casual. I love those video's of the kids but we are now in a different chapter of our parenting like you.
Our video's of Thanksgiving and what they are thankful for are hysterically funny and endearing.
I just think your hard work was totally appreciated but like you, I'm grateful that someone else gets to do the work now. : )

SRL

I had just forgotten how much work a big formal dinner is. ....

Not me, a few years ago the relatives that were hosting Easter every year asked if I would go every other year with them. The meal is work, but it's the cleaning that kills me!

I didn't host this year and only had to take the bread and some green beans for Easter, but together with what I did for us here, my feet are hurting me today. I did a double batch of roll dough on Saturday night, then realized I'd put in half again as much yeast as the recipe calls for, so I figured I'd best make another double batch of dough to be on the safe side. Then yesterday morning I decided I just had time enough to squeeze in a big batch of hot cross buns, so I did those and literally took them out of the oven and put them in the car. They were so big and fluffy and fresh that everyone loved them so it was worth the effort.

The bummer about not hosting is that there isn't a leftover in sight except for rolls. I think I'll go nab a turkey breast from the freezer--that will be easy.